Fruit Machines - favourites from the bygone era.

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

shiftytigger

Fruit Machines - favourites from the bygone era.

Post by shiftytigger » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:05 pm

Ok - I understand that Fruit machines are blamed for a fair few sins in the world of arcade - but is the loathing deep seated or do you have fond memories of one or two machines nestled in the arcades you frequented. Did you have any interest when you saw video game themed ones? Did you ever play a few instead of the games? Basically looking to see if there was any love at all or any stories of misspent hours - but mainly from younger years - not looking to salve your sore conscience from a gambling addiction or find out any secrets of new machines etc.

I was recently sorting out some of my loose discs and found a fruit machine emulator disc i had long forgotten. I have lost a few hours without losing any money and whilst feeling really soul-less it did make me hark back to my holidays in Wales and the few fruit machines that were there in amongst the many games. The tide may have turned and most likely forever , but I still enjoyed spending a small amount on a fruit machine to pay for hours in the arcades.

Of course couple that with the fiddled pool table and I could have lived in that arcade.

So just throwing this out there to see if I was the only one and hopefully reminisce a little.

For the record

I used to play many machines but my favourites would have been

CashAlarm / BlueStreak
Pinball Nudger
EachWayNudger

and in the slightly later years

Eastenders
Viva Las Vegas / Espana.

c0nfu53d

Re: Fruit Machines - favourites from the bygone era.

Post by c0nfu53d » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:22 pm

I used to play a lot of fruities on MFME. Some of my favs are:

Monty python And The Holy Grail (Barcrest)
Jackpot And The Beanstreak (Extreme) (not emulated)
Club Bank Roller (Barcrest)
Haunted House (Empire)

Still play them in real life too, an arcade near me has the Holy Grail machine...

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:25 pm

Never got any fun out of them myself. The only one I played quite a few times was a mario kart one which was not bad to play

ZeroCipher

Post by ZeroCipher » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:29 pm

VIZ
Eastenders
The Simpsons
and Tic Tac Toe

trying to remember some others but failing
Check my radio show every Tuesday 11pm (GMT) on TotalRock.com & every Saturday 8pm ET on FullFreqRadio.com & 11pm EST on TheMixx.FM also via the TuneIn App. On Demand www.mixcloud.com/djforcex

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:31 pm

I used to play CashAlarm with 20-30p and win enough most of the time to spend hours playing Pole Position , Crude Buster , Double Dragon 2 and more. So in my younger days I garnered a knowledge of the fruit machine (and practice on fruit machine games on spectrum at home with my dad) in order to win my play money - sometimes spending an hour gambling before playing the proper games. Mind you I am talking the days of 2p per play fruit machines and 10/20p arcade games.

Imagine my horror one year when all the fruit machines had been replaced and the price had gone up to 5p per play on the fruit machines.

Thank god for the Eastenders machine and an increase in pocket money.

Sadly went further downhill and upon returning 2 years ago it just horrified me - clone fruit machines/dance machines / light gun games - even the pool table coin slot worked properly. B@stards.

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:06 pm

I used to work behind a bar where we had two fruit machines opposite. We would keep tabs all day on which one had a load of money shoved in to it and not paid out then after our shift go and clean up on it :lol:

I always liked Barcrest machines as they had loads of features and interesting play fields. Psycho Cash Beast and Party Animal were two faves.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:49 pm

I did once pull a bit of a bad move that luckily paid out well. Used to work for a shop in a trading estate where our nearest source of change was the local bookies. Needed £1 coins,took £20 from float - bookies said they had none were waiting for delivery. Thought , I'll bang it in the fruity and pay it back out - bish bosh.

Little did I know it automatically took £2.00 for credit.w crap - not good as I had no money on me to pay it back. Luckily,the trail on the game was right up to the top and the first spin took it in to its 'red' trail. Long story short won 'mega streak' which won me £75 and got back onto the game board and offered a reasonable cash knockout prize.solved a few problems.Got the £20 coins for the shop (18 of which were already in the bank) ,went home with £80 in my pocket (changed all the coins back with the bookies which sorted them out too) and had enough odd coins to buy a scratchcard and a drink.Won £20 on the scratchcard too.

Probably the last enjoyable fruity I played, mainly cos I won.

Just prefer the older machines in general - the old Albert Square Eastenders was a definite favourite.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:11 am

Indiana Jones FTW! In fact most JPM ones from that era. I had the multiple fruit machine emulator on my PC until a few months ago, it was a good eye opener as to how much you could plough in without getting a good win, especially on £100+ club machines.

supermario

Post by supermario » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:27 am

Jailbreak - used to accept 1p instead of 20p :mrgreen: - bit of a bummer if it had run out of pound coins and you got a pile of 1ps instead of 20ps when it paid out tho !. There was another one which had a bug that every time you got a superhold you could manipulate the reels to get the jackpot -can't quite remember what it was called.

Apart from those -Dr. Who - the Timelord of course...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3c2jM_KOQ4

ReplayRetro

Post by ReplayRetro » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:36 am

i have a double dragon one in my games room, sadly its not based on the video game, but still good fun
Visit www.youtube.com/replayretro . why? well erm, cos it would be awfully friendly of you to take a look i guess, you don't have to though, nobody will make you *sob sob*

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:12 am

i only ever played the 2p ones. one i recall was called Spoof.?. which was good until it went up to 5p a turn.
i mainly lived on those screen gambling ones like play your cards right.

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:50 am

Oooh, I wonder how many MPUForums/FruitForums members are in here, I know a few.

I did a little bit of layout design back in the heyday of Fruit Machine Emulation, as a result I played a lot of machines I'd never played before. Emulated, one of my favourites was Chase Invaders Thanks to the "Super Animated" number reels.

Otherwise, in the pubs and arcades I was a fan of most Barcrests, in particular around the "Ooh-Ahh Dracula" era, Psycho Cash Beast, Frenzy, Monty Python (Not the Holy Grail one, the clone of Neptune's Treasure), but liked some JPM/Crystal ones too (Roller Coaster! Always happy to hit The Nemesis), but my all-time favourite machine, the one I'd own if I had the space, is a club machine from the old days when I worked in a church club... there's a pub version too, but it's Barcrest's...

Club Take Your Pick.
ImageImage

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:52 am

I think there was more 'play' in the older ones - getting onto a feature board playing what amounted to a simplified board game. Hence why i enjoyed the eastenders/viva espana types.

Remember playing one in the entrance to a snooker hall - its payouts had been set wrong , so it paid £5 for a £1 win,£10 for £2 etc.first win it gave was £1 - paid out £5 so i tried again in case it was a mistake - tried it again and it did it again. so basically I took low wins and emptied it. in fact - if the alarm had been loud i would probably have been rumbled. I had to leave £2 in after taking about £13 out (£65) as the machine had run out! Made a swift exit with pockets of coins. :oops:

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:42 pm

Viva Espania
Games Bond
Ten Ten Do It Again
Club Sandwich
Ooh Aah Dracula
Top Gear
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:43 pm

Went to the local cafe near work this morning (gaffer was paying, so i had to :wink: )

I put 50p in Pac Man Plus.

I lost. :(
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)