New Retro Event in the planning stage...

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

boyo

New Retro Event in the planning stage...

Post by boyo » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:19 pm

Bear with us guys - myself, Craig from TurnArcades and Keith (Lorfarius) are in the early stages of planning a pure retro event with a venue holding up to a 8-900 people. An announcement will be made soon.

Attic Bug and RCM are the joint partners.

Be good to hear your thoughts.
Last edited by boyo on Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sscott

Re: New Retro Event in the planning stage...

Post by sscott » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:22 pm

8-900, where did that quite specific number come from out of interest.

We do need an event that is focused largely on forum members. Yours was the first event I went to and I liked it very much (too frickin' hot mind you!). Oh and open to midnight if you can!

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:26 pm

BOUT-BLOODY-TIME!

As the guy that started all these events - it'll be good having you back doing what you do best... RETRO EVENTS :mrgreen:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

boyo

Post by boyo » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:40 pm

We also have a name for it, a new name but sort of familiar as well...

The number 8-900 is a conservative guess - it's the number of people we think we can get to the show. We are looking for appropriate venues in the Warwickshire area that would come in on budget. Following up some leads at the moment.

We have a venue up North - so would be planning on doing 2 events a year - one up North and one in the Middle :D

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:47 pm

boyo wrote:We also have a name for it, a new name but sort of familiar as well...

The number 8-900 is a conservative guess - it's the number of people we think we can get to the show. We are looking for appropriate venues in the Warwickshire area that would come in on budget. Following up some leads at the moment.

We have a venue up North - so would be planning on doing 2 events a year - one up North and one in the Middle :D
What about the South? :?

boyo

Post by boyo » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:51 pm

What about the South? :D

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:53 pm

boyo wrote:What about the South? :D

The south (yesterday)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:54 pm

Well this would be yet another big main stream event for the North joining Play, Games Britannia and at least one other show I happen to know about too.

Right now the only massive event in the South is Geek, which happened for the first time last year, and that is on the Kent coast - not exactly easy for the rest of the south to get to.

If you live in the west then you are totally f**ked :lol:

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:55 pm

Details to follow but the main push for this is to drop the massive corporate style events and return to basics. Smaller and community based with a few beers, consoles and talks etc. Something everyone seems to be asking for :D
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:57 pm

Lorfarius wrote:Details to follow but the main push for this is to drop the massive corporate style events and return to basics. Smaller and community based with a few beers, consoles and talks etc. Something everyone seems to be asking for :D
Didn't sound like that from the opening post but that is what I prefer.

Smaller events like Retrovision and Video Game Carnival beat Play for me every time.

boyo

Post by boyo » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:59 pm

The Laird wrote:
Lorfarius wrote:Details to follow but the main push for this is to drop the massive corporate style events and return to basics. Smaller and community based with a few beers, consoles and talks etc. Something everyone seems to be asking for :D
Didn't sound like that from the opening post but that is what I prefer.

Smaller events like Retrovision and Video Game Carnival beat Play for me every time.
Not that small - but my events are about the social, the atmosphere and the retro scene.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:04 pm

The Laird wrote:Well this would be yet another big main stream event for the North joining Play, Games Britannia and at least one other show I happen to know about too.

Right now the only massive event in the South is Geek, which happened for the first time last year, and that is on the Kent coast - not exactly easy for the rest of the south to get to.

Then organise one!

Can we not have the 'it's too far North/South/Widdershins' argument again. If you're not prepared to travel a little, then you're not that bothered about going. I give up what amounts to two whole days for my travel for these and its always worth it for me. I'm not even close to being the furthest travelled for them either.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:08 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
The Laird wrote:Well this would be yet another big main stream event for the North joining Play, Games Britannia and at least one other show I happen to know about too.

Then organise one!

Can we not have the 'it's too far North/South/Widdershins' argument again. If you're not prepared to travel a little, then you're not that bothered about going. I give up what amounts to two whole days for my travel for these and its always worth it for me. I'm not even close to being the furthest travelled for them either.
Erm . . . . .

I did an event last month. It went very well. Am doing at least 1 next year too (probably 2)

And I went to Play which was a 5 hour journey for me, even longer for the people who picked me up.

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:10 pm

I for one celebrate the demise of Rock Band at gaming events, pleases me no-end! :D

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:13 pm

You need to have a Sensible Soccer tournament, or it is just not a retro event.