UFO Encounters

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Doddsy

UFO Encounters

Post by Doddsy » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:07 am

You've probably blasted enough UFO's out of the cosmos in your gaming than you've had hot dinners but have any of you actually had a UFO encounter or even seen a UFO?

In 1995 I was living in a farm house cottage on the edge of Snowdonia when I was awaken in the middle of the night by an extremely bright blinding light coursing through my window. I was too lathargic to take a look and it only happened for about a few seconds. I've always wondered what it was to this day. A UFO passing over head? Maybe? It couldn't have been a car passing as facing the window there are miles of fields. The only explanation I can think of was that the Snowdonia rescue helicopter was passing over head and they must have put their search lights on the farmhouse - thing is I don't recall hearing the chopper motor. :?

themightymartin

Re: UFO Encounters

Post by themightymartin » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:17 am

It was the chopper or someone with a torch. There are no such things as UFOs.
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:28 am

When I was about 14 and living at my parents' house in Wales I saw a big red light fall through the sky and crash on the hills near a lone house about a mile away. It was amazing to see. I assume it was probably a chunk of meteor burning up, thus the red light, but no one else I knew saw it so never had it confirmed.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:30 am

I have seen UFOs, they definitely exist.

They were in the air, thus flying objects, and 30 years later I still haven't had a satisfactory identification for what they could have been.

Not aliens, but still UFOs.

Looked like stars.

But stars (even shooting stars) don't change direction, reverse, have rapid and extreme velocity changes or merge with others doing similar things. We saw several of them.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:27 am

As a boy on holiday with my parents to Malta we took a trip out to sea in a glass bottomed boat. At one point a pulsating ball of blue and orange light zoomed silently across the sky, stopped dead, changed direction suddenly, stopped again, hovered for a second then zoomed off out of sight at a terrific speed. Everyone on the boat saw it and no one had any idea what it was. About two minutes later two jet planes - looked like military fighter jets - roared overhead at a similar altitude, screaming off in the direction the light had taken, leaving all the adults in the boat quite shaken. I can remember thinking how awesome the whole spectacle had been. Secret test craft? Or something else? I simply don't know, but will always remember it.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:45 am

Yes. I was driving home in Liverpool city centre about 5 years ago and just happened to notice something big, dark and cube shaped moving slowly in the sky, but the road took me behind a building and when I came back around there was nothing there - no blimps, no planes, no helicopters.

I'm not saying it was alien, but I definitely saw a flying object and I couldn't identify it. It was all so quick though, and I was driving and in motion, so could be numerous explanations.

But I did actually stop my car on the kerb and got out to have a look in the sky, I even legged it around around the corner. People probably thought I was mental!!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:41 am

themightymartin wrote:There are no such things as UFOs.
Strikes me as a daft thing to say. If something's flying and you don't know what it is, it's an 'Unidentified Flying Object'. Just because some people can't recognise a Eurofighter from its landing lights at a funny angle doesn't mean they're all aliens though.

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:35 am

joefish wrote:
themightymartin wrote:There are no such things as UFOs.
Strikes me as a daft thing to say. If something's flying and you don't know what it is, it's an 'Unidentified Flying Object'. Just because some people can't recognise a Eurofighter from its landing lights at a funny angle doesn't mean they're all aliens though.
Okay, there are such things as UFOs in that there are some things that people see in the sky and don't instinctively know what they are, but what people generally class as UFOs (alien spacecraft) more then likely don't exist. I'd like to think that most people knew what I meant.
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:43 am

Yes, there are lots of rational explanations for them. Aircraft, clouds, meteors, planets, satellites, stars, weather balloons, etc. can all be misinterpreted in certain situations.

One of the best ones I heard was a guy who said he could see bright lights moving about and making rapid changes of direction, occasionally disappearing and reappearing. He looked again the following morning and he could see a road leading up a hillside snaking back and forth; they'd just been cars driving along it.

shmuk

Post by shmuk » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:52 am

As in an unidentified flying object: yes. I have seen objects which I don't know what they were. However to go from there to say that they're aliens is quite a leap.
- Shmuk Lidooha

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:48 pm

UFOs sure. Aliens no, at least if you believe that the speed of light is the limit of propulsion (which I do) meaning even our nearest star Proxima Centauri is 4.3 light years away, that's trillions of miles - and it's the nearest one!

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:08 pm

sscott wrote:UFOs sure. Aliens no, at least if you believe that the speed of light is the limit of propulsion (which I do) meaning even our nearest star Proxima Centauri is 4.3 light years away, that's trillions of miles - and it's the nearest one!
The possibility of UFO's being aliens being so small is only the case if you assume that any alien craft visiting the earth are doing round trips everytime they visit the earth, which itself is unlikely. When Europeans travelled to the Americas or the south pacific, they didn't make round trips everytime they wanted to visit - they sailed a larger craft with enough provisions to last them an extended time at sea (plus any provisions they could pick up at their eventual destinations) and then launched smaller vessels to make landfall - their's nothing illogicial or implausible about thinking that Aliens wanting to explore the galaxy would do the same, in fact it would be illogical to think they wouldn't. If they were from a dying world or had developed technology to allow extended periods of habitation on board space craft, then time wouldn't be an issue in terms of the length of time they need to reach here from their own planet.

I don't think UFO's are aliens by the way (just pointing out that saying Aliens visiting the earth is incompatible with the physical laws of the universe isn't entirely true ;)) There's not a shred of evidence to suggest Aliens have ever visited the earth, or any real reason why they would want to or need to. In fact, no serious examination of UFO's has based itself entirely around that concept for several years - it seems the little green men explanation exists only in the minds of those with an exisiting desire to 'prove' Alien visitation and those who want to use it as a stick to beat anyone who tries to investigate, seriously, the origins of reported UFO's. Personally? I still haven't seen a UFO report that when examined properly can't be explained (or at least a theorised explanation which gives a plausible earth-bound - or bodies in the solar system- cause )

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:11 pm

You can only travel up to the speed of light though, according to Relativity, but warping space is not only a possibility, but there's been a recent breakthrough:

http://www.space.com/17628-warp-drive-p ... light.html

I don't think we're being visited. Firstly, it's needle in a haystack stuff - not only distance wise, number-wise (the amount of exoplanets is thought to way outnumber actual stars in our galaxy) but also time-wise - advanced civilizations that could possibly travel between stars could be millions of years dead, or yet to evolve for possibly millions or billions of years. Secondly, I don't think anyone would travel to a 'civilized' planet just to confuse tourists or bum-f*ck hillbillies.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:37 pm

There is no possible way of predicting what a tecnologically advanced alien race could be capable of doing in terms of space travel, there can be no way of predicting how they would travel, why they would travel or the logistics behind their means of travel, you can only base theories on our technology and our physics and they would not be using our technology would they? We humans say our physics are the correct set of rules when it comes to what can and can't be done in space travel but there could be minds way, way in advance of ours and at a far deeper level of universal understanding than our own.
Also, you call this planet civilised? I beg to differ. The human race is defined by war, atrocity, acts of terror and the kindness and redemption that arise from those horrors, man as a species kills man, always has always will. As far from civilised as it is possible to be.
I feel it is high folly to think that we may be alone in the vast, vast universe. Blinkered and single minded. However the question of why alien beings would want to constantly visit our planet is an excellent one. We must have qualities and a uniqueness that would warrant constant visitations and observations.
It is my belief that UFOs are 99.9 percent earthly in origin, with rational explanations, but that point one percent is a genuine and fascinating mystery.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:15 pm

gman72 wrote:There is no possible way of predicting what a tecnologically advanced alien race could be capable of doing in terms of space travel, there can be no way of predicting how they would travel, why they would travel or the logistics behind their means of travel, you can only base theories on our technology and our physics and they would not be using our technology would they? We humans say our physics are the correct set of rules when it comes to what can and can't be done in space travel but there could be minds way, way in advance of ours and at a far deeper level of universal understanding than our own.
Also, you call this planet civilised? I beg to differ. The human race is defined by war, atrocity, acts of terror and the kindness and redemption that arise from those horrors, man as a species kills man, always has always will. As far from civilised as it is possible to be.
I feel it is high folly to think that we may be alone in the vast, vast universe. Blinkered and single minded. However the question of why alien beings would want to constantly visit our planet is an excellent one. We must have qualities and a uniqueness that would warrant constant visitations and observations.
It is my belief that UFOs are 99.9 percent earthly in origin, with rational explanations, but that point one percent is a genuine and fascinating mystery.
It really isn't and do you know why? Because life isn't that interesting, please try to find intrigue and meaning in something else.