Which phone?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

bonerlaw

Which phone?

Post by bonerlaw » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:03 pm

The time is fast approaching (15 days to be exact) when I will be able to upgrade my "dinosaur" iPhone 3gs for a younger, sexier model.

Only thing is, Im bloomin clueless nowadays when it comes to phones!

Ive looked at the Galaxy S3 (looks to big), the HTC One X (crap battery apparently), a Sony Experia and either an iPhone 4s or 5.

What I want most is decent storage space for my tunes, hopefully the ability to load a couple of emulators on there, and a decent camera for pics of my awesome kids!

Anyone got any of these phones can offer me some good advice? Please??

shiftytigger

Re: Which phone?

Post by shiftytigger » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:26 pm

Iphone 5 isnt much smaller than s3 - s3 battery life is not great but its got to be one of the best android phones around at the moment. My brother in law has been an iphone man from day one yet he is really happy with his s3.

However I havent really bothered with emulators as touch screen controls dont help me enjoy my speccy favourites (marvin) - thats what my gizmondo/ds acekard are for.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:59 am

The Samsung Galaxy S3 while it looks rather big, the size actually makes it very good for games, especially emulators. The Android phones don't have the same restrictions as what you can put on them like the iOS devices do.

I've just tried iMame4all on my S3 and I can tell you that the screen size and the sheer speed of this phone makes running retro games quite a pleasure. I've been playing Bad Dudes Vs Dragon Ninja, Double Dragon and Shinobi at full speed without slow downs. Very impressive indeed!

Of course you could do what I do and have an Android phone and iPod Touch, then you'll have the best of both worlds.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:06 pm

Having had phones from both sides of the fence I would say go for the 4s, you will get a much better deal on one than a 5. Fair enough you might have to jail break it to load some emulators and games on but you will not have to deal with all the crap in the google paly store. Mrs Rocky had an S2 and she has gone back to a 4 and she is very happy with it. I also have an S2 and I am going to go for 4s. the camera is great and all your itunes stuff will work no messing around converting it.
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:01 pm

I've tried a number of emu's on my S3 and I haven't had to look at rooting the phone to make them work. You can even download emulators for Android from websites on to a PC in the form of APK files.

Just go to the settings on the S3 and change the security option to allow apps from external sources. The S3 comes with it's own file manager app. When connected to a PC, the S3 will show up as USB device, copy the APK file to a folder and use the phones file manager to install the external app.

Using that method I even installed Adobe's Flash player. As Flash has been removed from the Google Play Store. I got the mame emulator and copied the Rom files to a directory on the internal memory. Works great.

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:56 pm

Cheers guys, still got 11 days to decide, but looking like an S3 is the way forward! All depends on what the tight b@stards at O2 offer me!

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:23 pm

I shunned apple and andriod and went for a Lumia and its not bad, it can use your Xbox live account to download or use games you already have (sadly doesnt yet let you use it as a remote screen and controller for your Xbox), only downside is due to windows phone being a realitively new comer to the big smart phone market its app avalibility isnt quite that of android or iPhone yet.
Watching you sleep since 1990

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:05 pm

Sega2006 wrote:I shunned apple and andriod and went for a Lumia and its not bad, it can use your Xbox live account to download or use games you already have (sadly doesnt yet let you use it as a remote screen and controller for your Xbox), only downside is due to windows phone being a realitively new comer to the big smart phone market its app avalibility isnt quite that of android or iPhone yet.
'Isn't quite' is a huge understatement. I have a Samsung Omnia 7 and, for the most part, the user experience is great, very smooth, very accessible, very nice to look at. The problem comes when using any app that isn't built in. The Facebook, Twitter, Google Maps, Spotify, What's App, eBay, Podcast (I've tried 5 paid apps) and TuneIn Radio apps are all seriously lacking when compared to their iOS and Android counterparts. I never use it for games, but the odd occasion I've looked, there is much less choice, and the games that are available on other OS are significantly more expensive.

I love the phone, but the 'eco-system' really lets it down.

Phew, felt good to get that off my chest. :wink:
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.