Your Unpopular Opinion!

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

RodimusPrime

Re: Your Unpopular Opinion!

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:16 pm

I dislike Mrs browns boys but in all honesty I have never understand people calling other people just because they like something you don't.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:20 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
The Beans wrote:I always thought Friends was the shittest thing ever until The Big Bang Theory came along. American sitcoms are always crap. The only thing worse is a british version of an american sitcom. The brit version of The Golden Girls managed to be even shitter than the original. That's an achievement in itself.

As a rule of thumb, if it's by Carla Lane it's a load of censored.
Agreed re Carla Lane stuff.

Friends seemed alright at the time when it was first broadcast as it appeared to be quite novel, but its fanbase was predominantly impressionable, easy-to-please teens and perhaps early twenty-somethings who were awestruck with anything relating to glamourising the amazing "land of the free", but upon watching repeats now, the jokes are all a bit lightweight, predictable and forced. Frasier has better stood the test of time, although has lost a bit of its polish over time.

Anyone going to fess up to enjoying Mrs Browns Boys? It seems to have a reasonable size audience that ensures another series. Who are these imbeciles?? :P
Theres the famous Seph tolerance we always hear about. Calling thousands of people imbeciles based solely on the fact they happen to like one show he does not :lol:

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:32 pm

I liked Friends a lot though probably moreso the first five series'

Big Bang Theory is okay - really funny at times, other times I just can't be bothered with it...I really can't stand the character of Sheldon! Usually only leave it on for Kaley Cuoco.

Scrubs was the best in my opinion - until they tried to revive it with a new main cast and the original characters in a supporting role. Dreadful it was.

Agreed on transatlantic adaptations of comedies. Remember the American version of The Office? As if it couldn't get any worse! Occasionally you'll hear of an American version of one of our comedies which you'd never expect to exist and it blows my mind that somebody actually TRIED to make it happen.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:06 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
Theres the famous Seph tolerance we always hear about. Calling thousands of people imbeciles based solely on the fact they happen to like one show he does not :lol:
Come on chap, my tone wasn't sincerely derogatory. I've watched Mrs Browns Boys a few times baked, and shamefully laughed.

Besides my horsing around, I don't care if people like certain shows, at least not to the point where I want them to leave the country or something insane like that!

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:36 pm

the american version of the inbetweeners was the worst, my god that was awful.

My unpopular opinion is that The Bill was a fantastic show and I am slightly devastated that buying the complete 1980s and 1990s episodes would set me back £200

TWO HUNDRED POUNDS AND IT ENDS IN 1999, THERES 11 YEARS AND THREE SPIN OFF SHOWS NOT COVERED :oops:

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:14 am

All this "Never forget the lives lost" stuff that gets posted about on September 11th, while forgetting the considerably larger amount lost afterwards due to America's "Freedom" march

Sure its a travesty what happened due to some people using religion as an excuse just to kill, but hasn't America done the same since?
Last edited by DPrinny on Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stvd

Post by stvd » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:41 am

DPrinny wrote:All this "Never forget the lives lost" stuff that gets posted about on September 11th, while forgetting the considerably larger amount lost afterwards due to America's "Freedom" martch
There were 3000 people killed at a march since 2001? Never made the news! :shock:
DPrinny wrote:Sure its a travesty what happened due to some people using religion as an excuse just to kill, but hasn't America done the same since?
Eh... no. I don't believe they have used religion as an excuse to kill.
Last edited by stvd on Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:46 am

stvd wrote:
No, they used dodgy evidence as an excuse (so not too dissimilar to religion), as well as a dose of patriotism, nationalism and bit of xenophobia.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:35 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
stvd wrote:
No, they used dodgy evidence as an excuse (so not too dissimilar to religion), as well as a dose of patriotism, nationalism and bit of xenophobia.

Anyway RIP the innocents and those that have been killed protecting the innocents

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:56 pm

DPrinny wrote:All this "Never forget the lives lost" stuff that gets posted about on September 11th, while forgetting the considerably larger amount lost afterwards due to America's "Freedom" march

Sure its a travesty what happened due to some people using religion as an excuse just to kill, but hasn't America done the same since?
America has much bigger problems than terrorism (from about a year ago):

The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:01 pm

I am hoping that they kill them self off, then theres more food for the rest of us

Not the innocents mind

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:21 pm

They should start licensing tactical nukes for home 'defense'. That'd do it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:23 pm

joefish wrote:They should start licensing tactical nukes for home 'defense'. That'd do it.
Think of all the innocent useful Mexicans that will get harmed in the process

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:21 pm

Megamixer wrote:Agreed on transatlantic adaptations of comedies. Remember the American version of The Office? As if it couldn't get any worse! Occasionally you'll hear of an American version of one of our comedies which you'd never expect to exist and it blows my mind that somebody actually TRIED to make it happen.
Two words - Red Dwarf.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:05 pm

Two words - Red Dwarf.

Never speak of the American one, bad does not cover it. The American version of Dads Army was also utter......
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image