Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

playzooki

Re: Your Unpopular Opinion!

Post by playzooki » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:30 pm

The Laird wrote:Don't like The Police or Led Zeppelin either :P
Same here, at school i put up with a couple of beatles worshippers in music. led zeppelin arent as bad as the rest of them but i dont enjoy them.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:35 pm

Megamixer wrote: Perhaps try and listen to some of the less played stuff then? I'll agree that when it comes to Queen, the likes of We Are the Champions, Bohemiam Rhapsody, I Want to Break Free and A Kind of Magic are ridiculously overplayed. I really like Queen and the overplayed songs too but my personal favourites aren't really the constantly aired ones. I would say my top five (in no order) are:

Radio Ga Ga
Breakthru
Who Wants to Live Forever
The Show Must Go On
I Want to Break Free

I've tried with Queen, i really have, and have owned a few of their albums, rather than just focus on their singles output (which is often misleading for any top artists), but I think its just the specific "Queen" sound which grates on me. The anthems are overplayed so are more annoying, but even the lesser exposed tracks have that Queen-sound (which millions of people adore), but I can't really bear it.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:38 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Megamixer wrote: Perhaps try and listen to some of the less played stuff then? I'll agree that when it comes to Queen, the likes of We Are the Champions, Bohemiam Rhapsody, I Want to Break Free and A Kind of Magic are ridiculously overplayed. I really like Queen and the overplayed songs too but my personal favourites aren't really the constantly aired ones. I would say my top five (in no order) are:

Radio Ga Ga
Breakthru
Who Wants to Live Forever
The Show Must Go On
I Want to Break Free

I've tried with Queen, i really have, and have owned a few of their albums, rather than just focus on their singles output (which is often misleading for any top artists), but I think its just the specific "Queen" sound which grates on me. The anthems are overplayed so are more annoying, but even the lesser exposed tracks have that Queen-sound (which millions of people adore), but I can't really bear it.
do you have news of the world seph? :wink:

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:44 pm

flatapex wrote: do you have news of the world seph? :wink:
I don't have that one? Will some of the tracks that aren't "radio" fodder, change my mind?

I have a few of their earlier albums, Night at the Opera and Innuendo. Plus some live and greatest hits package.

They're not the worst band in the world, but I'm surprised they get the attention they do, and especially based on the songs that are churned out on the radio specifically. Although I used to think that about the Beatles, but then dug into their studio albums and found a different band altogether. I just don't think Queen quite have the depth, as i've taken a reasonable sample of their album work (not exhaustive, but a few in their prime years). Its just not the sound i go for.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:26 pm

Queen were proper gash. For a supposed rock band that did seem to produce their fair share of disco pop trash. Their rock tracks are rubbish too though mostly. Reason: that dull assed rhythm section. We Will Rock You and Another One Bites The Dustbare exercises in tedium.

Freddie was decent though. Decent voice, proper showman.

Brian May though. Hate him. I play guitar and he ruined it for all of us. Guitar used to be cool and then that boring ponce ruined it by playing God Save The Queen or something on the roof of Buckingham Palace.

He can FRO forever. censored.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:40 pm

Bluce_Ree wrote:Brian May though. Hate him. I play guitar and he ruined it for all of us. Guitar used to be cool and then that boring ponce ruined it by playing God Save The Queen or something on the roof of Buckingham Palace.
Jesus, a sodding muso.
What stopped guitar being cool was a thousand arsehole pseuds thinking they were cool the minute they picked up a guitar. That and weird looking gimps like Joe Satriani. The guitar has been uncool for decades. All guitarists live up their own arse. Always have, always will. Any "cool" is a figment of their own imagination.
Take heart from the fact you were never cool in the first place and poor old Brian May didn't crap on anything that tedious proggers and indies haven't already tainted beyond all reckoning with their indulgent twiddlings and emo-ridden posing.
I'm sorry to burst your bubble here but I've been forced to listen to Steve Vai during a long car journey. The only thing less cool than guitar is Jean Michel Jarre.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:23 am

As soon as someone learns the guitar it seems that they suddenly become convinced that they have to start playing anytime there is a group of people and that we are all hugely entertained by it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:23 am

RodimusPrime wrote:As soon as someone learns the guitar it seems that they suddenly become convinced that they have to start playing anytime there is a group of people and that we are all hugely entertained by it.
It could be worse. They might have learned the saxophone.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:13 am

RodimusPrime wrote:As soon as someone learns the guitar it seems that they suddenly become convinced that they have to start playing anytime there is a group of people and that we are all hugely entertained by it.
If I had a quid for every time a guitar learner has forced a stilting rendition of the opening notes of Ghost Riders In The Sky on me, I'd have about three pounds by now.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:06 am

Matt_B wrote:
It could be worse. They might have learned the saxophone.
Or Bagpipes

We did lose the greatest Bagpipes player a few years ago

RODDY PIPER!!

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:25 am

Bluce_Ree wrote:Queen were proper gash. For a supposed rock band that did seem to produce their fair share of disco pop trash. Their rock tracks are rubbish too though mostly. Reason: that dull assed rhythm section. We Will Rock You and Another One Bites The Dustbare exercises in tedium.

Brian May though. Hate him. I play guitar and he ruined it for all of us. Guitar used to be cool and then that boring ponce ruined it by playing God Save The Queen or something on the roof of Buckingham Palace.

Guitars were ruined by gap year students and white people with dreadlocks

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:44 am

flatapex wrote:
Bluce_Ree wrote:Queen were proper gash. For a supposed rock band that did seem to produce their fair share of disco pop trash. Their rock tracks are rubbish too though mostly. Reason: that dull assed rhythm section. We Will Rock You and Another One Bites The Dustbare exercises in tedium.

Guitars were ruined by gap year students and white people with dreadlocks
Don't forget blokes going through a midlife crisis.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:39 pm

The Beans wrote:
Bluce_Ree wrote:Brian May though. Hate him. I play guitar and he ruined it for all of us. Guitar used to be cool and then that boring ponce ruined it by playing God Save The Queen or something on the roof of Buckingham Palace.
Jesus, a sodding muso.
What stopped guitar being cool was a thousand arsehole pseuds thinking they were cool the minute they picked up a guitar. That and weird looking gimps like Joe Satriani. The guitar has been uncool for decades. All guitarists live up their own arse. Always have, always will. Any "cool" is a figment of their own imagination.
Take heart from the fact you were never cool in the first place and poor old Brian May didn't crap on anything that tedious proggers and indies haven't already tainted beyond all reckoning with their indulgent twiddlings and emo-ridden posing.
I'm sorry to burst your bubble here but I've been forced to listen to Steve Vai during a long car journey. The only thing less cool than guitar is Jean Michel Jarre.
I make you right on most of that. But even after the prog cack of the 70s, the pseudo-ladyboy glam of the 80s, the 'shred' nonsense of the 90s and whatever else, whatever the guitar had left from the original spirit of Jimi was bummed in the face by that overrated clog-wearing, poodle headed nerd as he sucked off the establishment with his antics up on the roof. Cool or not, when he was done with it, playing guitar was up there with playing trumpet outside Debenhams with the local Salvation Army band.