Secret Santa 2012!

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ReplayRetro

Secret Santa 2012!

Post by ReplayRetro » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:20 am

Please could a Mod sticky this thread, thanks

Well the Christmas stuff is already in the shops so we may as well kick this years secret Santa off, it was a little rushed last year so hopefully the bigger time frame will result in me keeping more of my hair. I've volunteered to organize it again because it seemed to run pretty smoothly and this year we'll be doing it pretty much how we did last year with just a few revisions.

TO AVOID PROBLEMS PLEASE READ THE INSTRUCTIONS & RULES COMPLETELY BEFORE POSTING OR MESSAGING ME

THE RULES!
1. If you are receiving a gift then you're sending one too, no exceptions. If you can't follow this rule you WILL be named and shamed
2. Items do not need to be gaming related but please remember we're on a gaming forum so it might be a good idea to keep it on theme
3. Gifts cannot include charity donations made on the recipients behalf (not knocking charity but it kinda goes against the idea of random gifting)
4. Gifts should be between £5 and £10 there are loads of great gift ideas in this price range in stores at the moment and it should mean we all feel our gifts are the same kind of value. Of course if you're giving something out of your collection then it's more difficult to gauge its real value but please be fair to others
5. To take part you must have 50 posts or more, pretty much same reasoning as the selling rules. Hoping to attract reliable people who frequent the forums rather than just those looking to get something
6. To take part you must have been registered on the forums for at least 6 months, again this is to try and keep involvement to proper forum members

HOW IT WILL WORK;
Step 1. People PM me to enter (PMs must be received by November 20th) DON'T SEND IT YET, KEEP READING!
Step 2. After the closing date everyone receives the details of who they need to send a gift to
Step 3. You will then find a gift for said forum member
Step 4. By December 15th all gifts must be sent out and confirmation of this sent to me
Step 5. Everyone receives their gifts and has a jolly old time with Christmas related shenanigans and tomfoolery
Step 6. A mob will be assembled to visit the addresses of those who received but did not send gifts (please provide own flaming torch)

HOW TO GET INVOLVED;
If you want to take part in this years secret Santa and you've read everything above PM me using "Secret Santa - I'm In" as the topic, your message should include your address, gender, age, and what consoles you own (in case they want to give you a game) Personally i also recommend providing your name as it makes collecting the parcel from the PO easier, if you are getting your parcel delivered to a workplace then name is obviously crucial.
If you are unhappy putting your age please feel free to put an age range instead (ages might help your Santa target the gift)

e.g.
SUBJECT: Secret Santa - I'm In
Name: Bob Hoskins
Address: 11 Hoskins Tower
Hoskinsville
BH14 7HB
Consoles Owned: Philips Cdi

My inbox will be automatically filtering messages so please only use the "Secret Santa - I'm In" subject line for your entry, this makes it easier for me to send out addresses later, if you need to contact me for anything else please use a different subject line. Also if you don't use the correct subject line for your entry there's a good chance i won't see the message or may miss it when sending out details.

If everyone who gets involved and does this properly it should be just as successful as last year and a nice bit of community fun for the forum, so please only sign up if you're going to go through with it, or you're just going to cause a problem and find burning bags of turd on your doorstep (seriously, flushing the toilet isn't cheap, brown paper bags are)
Right i think that's everything, i'll once again head off to the bunker and wait for the deluge
Visit www.youtube.com/replayretro . why? well erm, cos it would be awfully friendly of you to take a look i guess, you don't have to though, nobody will make you *sob sob*

subzero

Re: Secret Santa 2012!

Post by subzero » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:57 am

i failed miserably on this and think..perhaps i shouldnt take part...am i right!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:19 pm

I'm in. Sent my PM.

I think the rule about it being £5-10 is wrong though. Everyone should be aiming to spend the same. A £5 swing can be the difference between something good and some novelty socks.

ReplayRetro

Post by ReplayRetro » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:24 pm

SirClive wrote:I'm in. Sent my PM.

I think the rule about it being £5-10 is wrong though. Everyone should be aiming to spend the same. A £5 swing can be the difference between something good and some novelty socks.
generally i'd agree but i wanted a benchmark with some play, by the sounds of things though most people last year spent over the £10 (think i hit £15 but was really happy with what i sent)
subzero wrote:i failed miserably on this and think..perhaps i shouldnt take part...am i right!
only you know the answer to that, i was tempted to fully blacklist you if i'm honest but if you promise to do it this time then i'll allow a second chance, i would however suggest that your gift needs to be double the value seeing as how you didn't send one at all last year
Visit www.youtube.com/replayretro . why? well erm, cos it would be awfully friendly of you to take a look i guess, you don't have to though, nobody will make you *sob sob*

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:38 pm

PM sent. The gift I got last year was amazing!
Going Solo...................

ZeroCipher

Post by ZeroCipher » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:17 pm

I'm in :)
Check my radio show every Tuesday 11pm (GMT) on TotalRock.com & every Saturday 8pm ET on FullFreqRadio.com & 11pm EST on TheMixx.FM also via the TuneIn App. On Demand www.mixcloud.com/djforcex

Helensification

Post by Helensification » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:06 pm

I'm in again.

Sending PM now :)

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:32 pm

I'm in, but I'm also lodging a complaint along the lines of "TOO EARLY" - haven't even been on my Summer holidays yet!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:19 pm

im in :-)

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:34 pm

In again, PM sent.
Spoilt last year, I was - will try my best to match up to that! :D

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:22 pm

I'll give it a whirl

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:54 am

ReplayRetro wrote:
SirClive wrote:I'm in. Sent my PM.

generally i'd agree but i wanted a benchmark with some play, by the sounds of things though most people last year spent over the £10 (think i hit £15 but was really happy with what i sent)
Yeah but that is the issue. Someone puts in £15 and then receives some last minute £5 tat. Only going from how some people have done it at work in the past, but hopefully people on here get into the spirit better than that. In work we had to say 'at least £10' in the end.

Helensification

Post by Helensification » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:49 am

SirClive wrote:Yeah but that is the issue. Someone puts in £15 and then receives some last minute £5 tat. Only going from how some people have done it at work in the past, but hopefully people on here get into the spirit better than that. In work we had to say 'at least £10' in the end.
Totally agree. I don't mind if someone cannot afford to spend too much but personally I would always spend over a tenner to get a Secret Santa gift. You can't actually get much for £5 these days :D

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:03 am

Never really done this before, been doing it in work for twelve years or so & it's always a disaster.

I might do the RG one this year for a laugh.
SirClive wrote:Yeah but that is the issue. Someone puts in £15 and then receives some last minute £5 tat. Only going from how some people have done it at work in the past, but hopefully people on here get into the spirit better than that. In work we had to say 'at least £10' in the end.
But that's when you overthink a thing, kind of the reason why I've never done it on here before. My memory's a bit hazy but hasn't there been some hassles in the past over what people have got or not sent or whatever.

In the end it's just a bit of fun & if someone doesn't properly participate, it shouldn't be any biggie, it's their loss in the end & after all it's only a silly ten quid stocking filler. :?
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:10 am

Its good ZeroCipher wants to take part but remember whoever draws him has to post it to the US ?

And yeah i remember all the fallout from last year, wouldnt include any of those people this year. Secret Santa is good but at my old job there was always a huge chance you would get some tat ! Thats the risk you take with Secret Santa !!