What Blu rays have you bought this week?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

TheNewMonkey

Re: Blu Ray vs DVD

Post by TheNewMonkey » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:22 pm

im thinking of getting blu ray player, im still on the fence tho, do you lot think dvd movies will be phased out in favour of blu ray?

the last time i watched a few blu rays was through my old ps3 and to be honest i wasnt really impressed...
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

crusto

Post by crusto » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:32 pm

I'm not sure whether they will get phased out, probably not imo as they are still good quality and cheaper than blu rays. But there is a massive jump in quality between the two if you ask me. The only DVDs I buy now are part of triple play Blu rays.

My advice is to buy one, definitely. And while your at it, get yourself a decent surround sound set up. You will never look back :wink: .

Eat your nans pants

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:59 pm

Well the quality of the viewing experience does also depend on how good one's HDTV is and the A/V quality of the Blu-ray Disc movies being viewed.

I fail to see how anyone with decent eyesight could fail to be impressed in watching a high A/V quality movie on Blu-ray Disc when viewed on a decent quality large screen 1080p HDTV.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:40 pm

The players are extremely affordable now. I decent player will set you back no more than £60. Which is great considering a few years ago they were over £150. Even then, your DVD's will be upscaled. There is no reason not to get one now.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:48 pm

Indeed. In addition to my everyday PS3 (still an excellent quality BRD player) I'm thinking of replacing my new 1080p 17" 16:9 screen laptop's DVD slot drive with a Sony BRD/DVD combo slot drive as they only cost £69 on Amazon. That's a BRD writer too! Prices have tumbled dramatically. :D
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:54 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:Indeed. In addition to my everyday PS3 (still an excellent quality BRD player) I'm thinking of replacing my new 1080p 17" 16:9 screen laptop's DVD slot drive with a Sony BRD/DVD combo slot drive as they only cost £69 on Amazon. That's a BRD writer too! Prices have tumbled dramatically. :D
More Sony products for your collection!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:19 pm

Jagfest_UK wrote:More Sony products for your collection!
True... but rest assured I won't be getting a SNES for its Sony DSP chip anytime soon! :lol:

Arque

Post by Arque » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:38 pm

I still buy Blu-Ray and DVD. I use the BR release of Star Trek as a cut off point. Before, DVD, after, Blu-Ray. With some exceptions such as Forbidden Planet. DVDs are only a quid at my local Cash Converter. The picture quality of a Blu-Ray far surpasses a DVD but, I will buy an older film on DVD as the master is unlikely to be up to Blu-Ray quality.
I am saving some pennies for Damnation Alley, finally available at Amazon after being on the release petition for some years. Now then, Blu-Ray or DVD?

rtrgrl78

Re: What Blu rays have you bought this week-aka Blu ray vs D

Post by rtrgrl78 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:00 am

Dad's Blu ray player broke in the week and he decided to get a new one (on a previous) post here, he treated himself to a new Sony one from Tesco for £80. We had the blu ray player for a about 3 years so it was assumed the laser was worn out. So, a guy in Dad's works likes fixing electronics for a a hobby and said he would take a look and we both thought nothing og it, if anything his for keeps for spares and such. But he's fixed and has said it was the door and is returning back to my Dad and now to me :D as Dad loves his the compact Sony one as the older one is a Tevion one, but I don't mind I know it's been well looked after and cared for. I love my blu rays and films and no way can I afford a Playstation 3 for a few or at least 6 months so it so much appreciated. Excited now, got my own blu ray player, daft I know.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:16 pm

Still after Jaws on BRD... once it drops below the current best price of £15 that is.

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:24 am

I got the LOTR extended edition earlier this week, so far, excellent as expected. The only minor gripe being you still have to disc swap. But I would rather that than a compromise in quality. You can almost see the characters make up!

Eat your nans pants

martin_lovick

Post by martin_lovick » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:25 am

I got prometheus the other day, a bit of a 'marmite' film I know, but I enjoyed it at the cinema.

its great on a blu ray on my flat screen at home. I only went for the standard blu ray edition as I dont have a 3dtv and cant get on with 3d films at the cinema. There are a few interesting extras on the standard blue ray, but not the '7hours' theyve been advertising.

I think that extra stuff is on the 3d version which is almost ten quid more than the stabdard blu ray edition.

regarding blu ray vas DVD. Ive had a blu ray player for a while now and have recently upgraded to a 40 inch LCD (from a 21 inch LCD). Upgrading TVs to a bigger screen, I really notice the difference. IMHO if you are going to go for a blu ray player make sure you have a nice big TV to plug into
Have you played Atari Today?

ebay stuff for sale http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/martin_lovick/m.html

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:41 pm

martin_lovick wrote:I got prometheus the other day...

There are a few interesting extras on the standard blue ray, but not the '7hours' theyve been advertising.
All in there's probably way more than 7 hours, the documentary is 3h 40mins, you can add at least another hour to that with the pop-up videos and galleries...then there's trailers, 35 minutes of deleted scenes and appendices...and you still have the commentaries!

I've seen it twice now, I watched it with low expectations so it wasn't so bad, however there are some really poor editing choices, all main characters are hateful & incompetent and the ending should've came 5 minutes earlier.

I've watched the documentary mentioned above...better than the film and explains a lot, which compounds my despair about how they had all the components for a great film but ended up with a mediocre one.

EDIT: and Damon Lindelof (screenwriter) comes across as a right pr*ck.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:29 pm

martin_lovick wrote:... regarding blu ray vas DVD. Ive had a blu ray player for a while now and have recently upgraded to a 40 inch LCD (from a 21 inch LCD). Upgrading TVs to a bigger screen, I really notice the difference. IMHO if you are going to go for a blu ray player make sure you have a nice big TV to plug into
From what I've seen TVs of a smaller screen size are okay to be watching movies at 720p whereas the benefits of a 1080p picture really come into their own on a large size screen, e.g. like the 40" screen you have.

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:07 am

I got over the weekend on Blu Ray :-

1) Sin City Extended Edition.
2) Robocop Trilogy.
3) Smurfs (for my daughter)
4) The Thing (prequel)
5) Promethius (3D version)