What Blu rays have you bought this week?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

crusto

What Blu rays have you bought this week?

Post by crusto » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:31 pm

Okay, I've got hundreds of DVD's, I think they're great. But my Blu Ray collection is coming along nicely, prices are becoming more acceptable across the board, and there's no denying the gap in terms of quality on offer. Now I'm beginning to toy with the idea of phasing out my DVD's. And flogging them off when I have a large enough amount to open a shop on evil bay or something. Will someone please convince me that I am doing the wrong thing before I take the plunge.

No doubt I'll be doing the same with my Blu Rays in 5 years or so..
Last edited by crusto on Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Eat your nans pants

DPrinny

Re: Blu Ray vs DVD

Post by DPrinny » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:34 pm

DVD was a step up from VHS, due to size and quality.
Blu ray so far I just see the same stuff I have on DVD that I dont really want to buy again, sticking with DVD

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:36 pm

Blu-Ray is actually a decent step though.

DVD wasn't a step that I welcomed and i didn't embrace it..
Logged out 15/07/2014.

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:39 pm

Oh, and I forgot to add. Although initially I didn't like Blu Ray cases at all, I now think they look much nicer on my rack than a DVD does.

Eat your nans pants

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:56 pm

I'm in the same situation, Blu Ray look so, so much better than regular DVD's but I feel a bit silly purchasing movies I already own, even if the quality is a big step up

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:08 pm

crusto wrote:Okay, I've got hundreds of DVD's, I think they're great. But my Blu Ray collection is coming along nicely, prices are becoming more acceptable across the board, and there's no denying the gap in terms of quality on offer. Now I'm beginning to toy with the idea of phasing out my DVD's. And flogging them off when I have a large enough amount to open a shop on evil bay or something. Will someone please convince me that I am doing the wrong thing before I take the plunge.

No doubt I'll be doing the same with my Blu Rays in 5 years or so..
Me and the missus were talking about this, for us Blu Ray is perfect, and I believe it won't be dropped as a format for years by companies - hell DVD's are still be made. There's the possibility it could be the last of the disc format too.

DPrinny wrote:DVD was a step up from VHS, due to size and quality.
DVD wasn't much of a step up in terms of quality from laser Disc. Which was the next format after VHS - albeit awful.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:19 pm

I have dvds hddvds and blu rays

and the quality (especially the sound) on hd format means that I have been phasing out my dvd collection, but only when I get the hd version.

I still buy quite a few dvds (just picked up the newer italian job, magnificent seven and deja vu on dvd for £2.25 from cex and the quality of them all is very good)

I wait until I have a bout 10 dvds to trade in and then trade them in for a blu ray....

costs a bit in the long run, but the quality difference means it is worth it...but I will still happily buy dvds for many years to come....

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:19 pm

Will Blu Ray support super HD?
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:22 pm

I was sick of people telling me I was wasting my money buying blu rays as they looked the same as DVD's :( Well that was until they got newer TV's and you can see the difference. Blu rays will be around for years, just walk into an HMV to see that DVDs are still selling by the ton. I honestly thinks DVD's will no get phased out until 4K tv's become the norm in homes and that is many years away. In the mean time blu ray sales will climb year on year. My god you can get Waterworld on blu ray now WTF !!!
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:24 pm

nakamura wrote:Will Blu Ray support super HD?
Depends on the size of the film; I believe so. However films of 3 hours plus will be on two discs.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:25 pm

I wonder if we will get another format then.

Personally Blu Ray does nothing for me. Not because it isn't good, but I find it doesn't add enough to make replacing my stuff worthwhile. More likely will wait until the next format, if we have one.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:28 pm

nakamura wrote:I wonder if we will get another format then.

Personally Blu Ray does nothing for me. Not because it isn't good, but I find it doesn't add enough to make replacing my stuff worthwhile. More likely will wait until the next format, if we have one.

There has been another disc developed by the companies in control of Blu Ray. However, I've assumed this won't see the light of day for a long time. It has 16 times more capacity that Blu Ray - or something ridiculous like that.

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:50 pm

I don't buy DVD's anymore, I buy blu ray steelbooks. However I've began curtailing my purchases as Play.com are taking the p*ss and releasing upto 17 a month! They're releasing any old sh*te these days too. So I'm sticking to new movies, movies I really like but don't own and classics.

Occasionally get the odd TV show Blu if the price is right.

Most of my DVD's (about 90%) are up in the loft, should just get rid really, but I can't be arsed.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:55 pm

nakamura wrote:Will Blu Ray support super HD?
No.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:11 pm

retrojc wrote:
DPrinny wrote:DVD was a step up from VHS, due to size and quality.
DVD wasn't much of a step up in terms of quality from laser Disc. Which was the next format after VHS - albeit awful.
Interesting opinion there.

DVD was a marked improvement over LaserDisc in terms of picture quality. Not so for sound quality though. I'm referring to movies on LaserDisc that featured an analogue audio track where the sound quality was/is hugely superior to the flat-sounding digitally compressed audio on a DVD movie.

Not all LaserDisc movies had an analogue audio track to select. This was more so the case for PAL/Euro LaserDiscs that sometimes came only with a digital audio track - the capacity was used for the various European language subtitles. On NTSC-U LaserDiscs it's more common to have the choice of listening to either the digital or analogue audio track.

My LaserDisc player is multi-region and, fortunately, NTSC-U movies are still readily available on the the likes of eBay from UK sellers at reasonable prices.

LaserDisc also has some other differences relative to DVD such as being able to select the exact movie frame and of course featuring LP-sized packaging which, imho, helps make the cover art look more impressive than on a DVD case. Due to the increased physical size the accompanying booklets generally look more impressive too as they're larger.

For you to describe LaserDisc as "albeit awful" is extremely unfair, imho.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac