Dr Who something bugged me

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Antiriad2097

Re: Dr Who something bugged me

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:56 pm

Dam wrote:sounds like a load of sh1t to me.
That seems like an accurate summary of the episode in general. Not a great start to a series.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

dste

Post by dste » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:11 am

I really liked the interaction between Clara and the Doctor and Celia Imrie was really good, especially at the end.

Was also good to see the return at the end (not wanting to spoil anything) and the opening was good 'have you clicked the wi-fi' but the actual story was meh and the spoonheads were pretty pointless.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:48 am

It's amazing to me that the same writer wrote last weekends episode was the writer who wrote the excellent Empty Child 2 parter.

Moffat's can write. Matt Smith is a good Doctor.

But what I saw last weekend was a childs show dressed up as sci fi drama. My feeling is that the post 2005 reboot has lost steam now - maybe time for a new approach. It's certainly not for me anymore.

dste

Post by dste » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:03 am

^^I was thinking about that on Saturday and I do think that he should maybe cut back on the amount of episodes that he's writing at the moment. I know that with being the head writer and executive producer he pretty much has to do as much as possible but it should also mean that he can farm out more episodes and concentrate on the producing side for a while.

His episodes during Eccleston and Tennant were pretty much my favourites under those Doctors but he did only write six of them whilst with Smith he has wrote roughly half of the 35 episodes.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:05 am

I watched the episode with Amy trapped in time and they find her all fogey'd up later on? Dear god that episode is bad, it could be the worst.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:45 am

dste wrote:^^I was thinking about that on Saturday and I do think that he should maybe cut back on the amount of episodes that he's writing at the moment. I know that with being the head writer and executive producer he pretty much has to do as much as possible but it should also mean that he can farm out more episodes and concentrate on the producing side for a while.

His episodes during Eccleston and Tennant were pretty much my favourites under those Doctors but he did only write six of them whilst with Smith he has wrote roughly half of the 35 episodes.
he's also writing Sherlock and he wrote Tintin for Spielberg. He's just stretched too thin - and to me it looks as if he's saving his A Game for Sherlock. Gaiman's episode last series was excellent - getting in outside talent clearly works

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:49 am

Timothy Lumsden wrote:But what I saw last weekend was a childs show dressed up as sci fi drama.
But that's exactly what it is! :wink:

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:07 am

Re: riding the bike up the building. How did he get his sonic screwdriver back?
HADDOCKEN!

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:57 am

djcarlos wrote:
Timothy Lumsden wrote:But what I saw last weekend was a childs show dressed up as sci fi drama.
maybe, but there's a line between doing it well and failing. I felt embarrassed for the cast last week

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:19 am

djcarlos wrote:
It's a full-on kids show now. It used to be more intelligent. Not a great deal more intelligent it has to be said but it was definitely worth a watch as an adult.
I just can't watch it anymore. It's gone daft for the kiddies. I wish the Beeb would bin it and spend the money making a Blake's 7 reboot for grown ups.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:30 pm

I read the Russell Davies book out of interest and I got the sense that there was a strong 'I can do wrong' ego thing with him. Moffatt is perhaps now in the same position and slightly suffering for it. Constant restrictions and constructive criticism from people around you tend to improve programmes - when you ARE the programme, then all the bad habits come out.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:52 pm

the alien, it looked a bit crappy,know CG is cheaper than a latex mask, but the mask would look better

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:06 am

Dam wrote: riding up the side of a building on a motorbike
DPrinny wrote:B-but that was awesome.
Just another attempt to crow-bar in something (using live-action CGI) that 2000AD did in comics decades before. And better.

What Matt Smith does well is convey a young, re-generated doctor with a centuries-old mind. It's just the 'young' side of it is just a bit too juvenile. And the concept would play better if the doctor were actually seen to age a bit over each generation.

I think it has to vary in style to appeal to a range of ages; it wouldn't work so well if it was always the same pitch. So lightweight stories are good if occasionally some dark ones come along (The Empty Child, Human Nature). We'll only really be able to judge if it's gone too fluffy by the end of the series.

I have just seen some old stuff on the Virgin on-demand - William Hartnell in The Time Meddler was interesting but quite drawn-out. But the 80s stuff that came after Tom Baker had some terribly confused plots and corny supporting characters. The least convincing ones are always the ones that try to portray entire cities and communities through asides to just a few incidental citizens or a small council of leaders. At least I can now appreciate Peri and the 'twins' more now... :mrgreen:

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:24 pm

Did you mention Peri? <swoon> :D And she still looks fantastic - caught her taking part in Pointless a few weeks ago, a Dr Who special. Oh, Ms Bryant: what you did to me then, and now. <swoon> :D

Doctor Who

Post by Doctor Who » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:42 pm

Matt Smith gurns a bit too much, and many of the plotlines seem a bit too contrived. That said, I'm still watching.