Future Publishing Closes Down Nintendo Gamer Magazine

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Megamixer

Re: Future Publishing Closes Down Nintendo Gamer Magazine

Post by Megamixer » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:15 am

Roo wrote: Yes! ONM is inexcusably poor, but with many of the ex-NGamer staffers looking likely to become part of that team (Matthew Castle took over as editor a couple of months back, and Alex Dale has just started writing features for ONM), perhaps not all hope is lost.
Depends on how much Nintendo and Future stifle their opinions and style to fit with the whole 'Official' theme. I remember Pokemon Battle Revolution not even being reviewed and the general concensus was that it would have got a bad score so they were intentionally not given a review copy. An official Ninty mag giving a big Pokemon game a bad score would be negative publicity after all. It's stuff like this, a multitude of scores that I disagreed with and the first revamp (where the width of the mag was reduced and the inside redesigned) that made me give it up.

Ah well, at least I'll save some money now. Perhaps even have room to fill with some back issues of Cube, NGC or NGamer.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:40 am

Sad times, I was a subscriber, that mag had a lot of respect for retro. censored the digital future!
Xbox Live: RetroBob

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:10 am

Absolutely gutted at this news :cry:

i've bought every single issue since 1992, i actually look forward to reading this each month, the magazine genuinely makes me laugh out loud with all the wittly one liners and mad innuendo, its also the only nintendo mag with unbiased reviews, i sort of had a feeling this was coming with staff like martin kitts dissapearing & editors changing all the time...

Theres nothing else that Future publish that can replace this on my subscription, soon as that last issue drops through the letter box ill be cancelling, no chance am i going to be just switching that Official Nintendo Mag which is what i know they are going to suggest.

its a sad sad day :(
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:50 am

Megamixer wrote:Not sure about the suggestion of lack of content being the problem; after all, Nintendo mags have survived the previous end-of-life N64 and Gamecube software draughts.
There is more of a gap this time around, the wii was on it's last legs for a year and there's been nothing for the last 12 months, the magazine is a victim of nintendo's lack of information IMO.
TheNewMonkey wrote:its also the only nintendo mag with unbiased reviews
Steady on :) I don't remember many nintendo games getting less than 80% in N64, NGC or N-Gamer, they were pretty biased but it was at least enthusiasm rather than the soviet state of ONM.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:41 pm

probably reflects Nintendo's move towards the casual gamer - people less likely to buy magazines.

apparently it was selling only 8000 copies a month at the end - which seems to be the magical number
when companies pull the plug.

debit

Post by debit » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:15 pm

Flippin' eck. How time flies. The machine I got after my C64 was a SNES, and I stuck with Future because I'd loved Commodore Format. Are those fantastic Super Play covers really twenty years old...wow.

Loved Super Play. Really great spirit and feel to the magazine.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:48 pm

Fightersmegamix wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Not sure about the suggestion of lack of content being the problem; after all, Nintendo mags have survived the previous end-of-life N64 and Gamecube software draughts.
There is more of a gap this time around, the wii was on it's last legs for a year and there's been nothing for the last 12 months, the magazine is a victim of nintendo's lack of information IMO.
True. The slow pace of 3DS releases plus Wii-U secrecy probably didn't help either. Out of interest, what sort of information is the official mag reporting these days to keep people interested?
Fightersmegamix wrote:
TheNewMonkey wrote:its also the only nintendo mag with unbiased reviews
Steady on :) I don't remember many nintendo games getting less than 80% in N64, NGC or N-Gamer, they were pretty biased but it was at least enthusiasm rather than the soviet state of ONM.
To be fair, Nintendo Gamer gave NSMB 2 an 80% score with the fair evaluation of the game being a good platformer but a stale formula after so many NSMB games. Meanwhile, over in camp ONM, the game had a 90%+ rating (not sure of the exact score) slapped on it.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:07 pm

I still cant believe they've dumped NGamer & kept that Official mag going, its a really terrible & soulless magazine.

Seriously, who actually still buys it? :?
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:21 pm

Does anybody know how many of these magazines have closed down recently? I remember a few months back a few of the generic/chavvy 360/PS3 mags folded and it seems since Nintendo Gamers new look and how they stopped giving free gifts they've taken a drop in the ocean.. I still have all my Supers well 1 - 45 missing the last 2 best magazine ever!! Was never keen on its later regeneration it seemed to down with the kiddies with words like hip and rad!! I never bothered with its regeneration but was told it was a lot better.. So good that it closed down :?

As long RG doesn't close but I wonder where it leaves the future of Smiths and Gaming magazine sin general
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:52 am

Timothy Lumsden wrote:probably reflects Nintendo's move towards the casual gamer - people less likely to buy magazines.

apparently it was selling only 8000 copies a month at the end - which seems to be the magical number
when companies pull the plug.
On that note, I notice that PC Format is perilously close to the 8000 mark as well. I expect that will be cancelled in the next few months as well.

vp002

Post by vp002 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:04 am

dear all ,

oh well it was coming i reckon its mega hard to market nintendo at the moment as they ballsed the wii up (whos really plays it now) and the 3ds stuff got a lukewarm reaction, the mag each month was getting thinner and thinner each copy and it was just re hashing on whats to come on the wii u , i shall now be expecting my subs letter now saying buy other flailing mags !

Vinny

noobish hat

Post by noobish hat » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:07 am

TheNewMonkey wrote:I still cant believe they've dumped NGamer & kept that Official mag going, its a really terrible & soulless magazine.

I've always hated that pile of crap. Have they ever given anything less than 80%? I remember I opened the front cover once and the staff page had a photo of the entire team who were all, for some reason, wearing football shirts. I thought 'is this a Nintendo magazine, or Match of the Day?'

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:18 am

I trust that RGs high sub base keeps it financially solvent! 106 issues in is very impressive for a niche mag, long may it continue!!!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:52 pm

TheNewMonkey wrote:I still cant believe they've dumped NGamer & kept that Official mag going, its a really terrible & soulless magazine.

Well, I can't imagine a day when an official mag closes over an unnofficial one, especially when both were made by same publisher. Sad but an inevitable decision.

I much preferred the old NOM! Sure, it was brughter and more childish but it was a great read, really funny and crap games received the slagging off they deserved, even if they were Nintendo titles.

I bought the regenerated official mag on day one for around 40 issues or so before suddenly wondering why I even bothered. It covered everything but also felt soulless (as you say) and very biased.

dste

Post by dste » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:37 pm

Just realised that the magazine closed over two years ago already.

Crazy where the time has gone.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!