When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Roo

Future Publishing Closes Down Nintendo Gamer Magazine

Post by Roo » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:58 am

Timothy Lumsden

Re: Future Publishing Closes Down Nintendo Gamer Magazine

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:54 pm

that is very very sad. Apart from RG, I think it was the best mag on the shelf. Suspect the lack of new games to review before Wii U came out played a part.

dste

Post by dste » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:53 pm

Damn, kept meaning to subscribe but never got round to it.

Had picked up every issue so far after the relaunch and was enjoying reading it.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

RetroRevival

Post by RetroRevival » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:06 pm

Its all going digital I tell ya
I've seen the future, there is no paper in it at all.
We will finally have to work out how to use the three seashells!

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:17 pm

RetroRevival wrote: We will finally have to work out how to use the three seashells!

Only if Wesley Snipes stars in the "how to" video!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:59 am

:(

I loved NGC and NGamer and had been buying every issue of Nintendo Gamer since the re-launch so this is terrible news. I thought it was a very well done re-launch with the right mix of humour, unbias opinion and retro/import coverage.

Totally gutted. F**k the digital age.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:26 am

Ahh the digital age...the days where you actually own something for the money you spend is drawing to a close.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:35 am

Sad when any magazine shuts down. Dont think you can blame it solely on the digital age, surely some magazines get more revenue to the digital age ? I tend to buy a digital copy of most magazines and a physical one.

Team Alfie

Post by Team Alfie » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:46 am

I'm torn being sad to see it go and relieved that I won't get to feel a sense of shame at reading and greatly enjoying a Nintendo magazine in my 30s anymore.

I had Super Play at school and N64 mag at college. I got to live the glory years!

RetroRevival

Post by RetroRevival » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:50 am

Sad when any magazine shuts down. Dont think you can blame it solely on the digital age, surely some magazines get more revenue to the digital age ? I tend to buy a digital copy of most magazines and a physical one.
I think its a combination of a lack of disposable income to spend on luxury items, and the fact that blogs and websites offer more than just words and pictures. It sucks, but if the games are all going digital download, then the media that represents it will surely follow suit.

Roo

Post by Roo » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:54 am

We're finding out a bit more about this on the NGamer Forums. Nick Ellis - Nintendo Gamer's freelance editor - has told us that though he's lost his job, everyone else attached to the magazine is being re-employed in other Future Publishing projects. Chris Scullion - Nintendo Gamer's online editor - says that his job is unchanged, though it'll be pretty much just him who is in charge of Nintendo Gamer's website, with him being the only one employed in that role. There'll still be reviews and previews for key games in the future, just not as many as you'd find in the magazine. Stuff like Iwata Asks will be on the website too.

Most galling of all, Nick Ellis told his Twitter followers that Future gave him and his staff nine days notice before the issue 80 deadline that the magazine was shutting down. He's admitted that the final issue isn't what he wanted it be, but still hopes the reader's think they've done a decent job. Last issue goes on sale next week with a Wil Overton hand-drawn cover.

:(

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:56 am

Sad to see it go but it was launched at the wrong time, I would have bought it but there was just not enough content to justify it's existence until the wii u is releases.

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:28 am

If The Dandy couldnt survive physically in the digital age, I don't think any magazine/comic will. :(

R.I.P My favorite Magazine.... T.T
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:53 am

Well, the annoying thing is that the only Nintendo magazine left is the official one which I used to buy for the first 40 issues before disliking it.

Compare that to the multitude of different 360 magazines available and it's galling to say the least.

Not sure about the suggestion of lack of content being the problem; after all, Nintendo mags have survived the previous end-of-life N64 and Gamecube software draughts. In any case, digital mags ain't the same. Being on the likes of forums and ebay is enough internet time for me. I don't want to have to be online constantly to get my games digest.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Roo

Post by Roo » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:06 am

Megamixer wrote:Well, the annoying thing is that the only Nintendo magazine left is the official one which I used to buy for the first 40 issues before disliking it.

Compare that to the multitude of different 360 magazines available and it's galling to say the least.
Yes! ONM is inexcusably poor, but with many of the ex-NGamer staffers looking likely to become part of that team (Matthew Castle took over as editor a couple of months back, and Alex Dale has just started writing features for ONM), perhaps not all hope is lost. It'll never be Nintendo Gamer though. I don't see me buying a non-Retro Gamer videogames magazine on a regular basis ever again.