GAH! I think my PS3 is dying..any suggestions?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

tachi

GAH! I think my PS3 is dying..any suggestions?

Post by tachi » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:11 pm

Started with Risen 2.
I was 5 minutes into playing and suddenly *POOF*...blackness!
The sound continued, the menus etc were accessible but I couldn't see anything except the tags on things such as "BED" and "GROG" etc.
When I went into the menu the normal graphics resumed behind the menu but exiting the menu resulted once more in darkness besides text.
This also happened today on Ghost Recon: Future Soldier....all went black besides the blue highlight on my squad!?
It's almost like all the textures and graphics get dumped?
I have had a lot of stretched Polygons recently and occasional lockups so I am worried it is going to die soon but anyone have any suggestions of what I could try??

Ta
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

RetroRevival

Re: GAH! I think my PS3 is dying..any suggestions?

Post by RetroRevival » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:22 pm

Yep.....

1) Backup your saves. If she goes to console heaven, you are screwed.
2) Backup your saves again, just in case.
3) Buy a new PS3 (seriously whatever you do to it will only be a temporary fix and you are just prolonging the agony)

tachi

Post by tachi » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:33 pm

RetroRevival wrote:Yep.....

3) Buy a new PS3 (seriously whatever you do to it will only be a temporary fix and you are just prolonging the agony)
Lol, you're probably right :(
Backing up to my PS+ account now.
Will contact PSSupport when I'm back in a week and see if they can suggest anything, even if it's a send off for repair thing...

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:36 pm

Mines been dying slowly too i think, its a phat one and it started during god of war3, freezing and not letting the disc be removed. Now on the dashboard it doesnt even recognise there is a disc inserted.

vp002

Post by vp002 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:57 am

Dear all ,

I think its the green screen of death which is a graphics chip disconnecting from the motherboard , theres a youtube solution where you can reset the machine(didnt work on mine) or you can take it apa and thermite place 2ps to press against the chip (did work but will need more work ) i recommend selling it for parts and buying a new one s theres no permanant fix even though other people say there is ,

Sorry to be a doomsayer ,

Vinny

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:02 am

RetroAerosmith wrote:Mines been dying slowly too i think, its a phat one and it started during god of war3, freezing and not letting the disc be removed. Now on the dashboard it doesnt even recognise there is a disc inserted.
Sounds like the classic Blu-ray drive failure - happens to a lot of Phat models.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:07 am

make sure you deauthorise your account from there as well, and all other accounts you have authorised on the system as if the console breaks down you will not be able to. and you can only have your account authorized on up to 5 machines.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

RetroRevival

Post by RetroRevival » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:51 am

and you can only have your account authorized on up to 5 machines.
Although if you call Sony they will clear the account for you (especially when you tell them that you will buy an Xbox if they dont!)

tachi

Post by tachi » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:45 am

All sorted.
Uploaded saves to PS+, de-authorised and formatted.
Took all to Game today and traded in and got new Slim 140GB for £70 with GT5 =o)

commanderkaiser

Post by commanderkaiser » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:29 am

I fancy trading in my phat for a slim cause I think mine is on it's last legs. What one did you have? I've got a 40GB so I'm wondering how much I'll have to pay extra, also was yours boxed with controller and all wires?

The controller that came with mine broke so I bought a new one so they won't be having that and while I still have the box I don't have the game that came bundled with it (GTA4)

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:10 am

commanderkaiser wrote:I fancy trading in my phat for a slim cause I think mine is on it's last legs. What one did you have? I've got a 40GB so I'm wondering how much I'll have to pay extra, also was yours boxed with controller and all wires?

The controller that came with mine broke so I bought a new one so they won't be having that and while I still have the box I don't have the game that came bundled with it (GTA4)
My phat 60gb died, blu ray failure. But because it didn't happen as soon as the machine was switched on I traded it in for a sim 320gb model. Naughty I know, but I'm a good lad 99% of the time.

Eat your nans pants

commanderkaiser

Post by commanderkaiser » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:32 am

As luck would have it my PS3 just yellow lighted and now I can't get my disc out, I'll have to look online how but yeah crap timing. I haven't backed up any saves either, I was going to wait till monday get PSN+ back up my saves then trade it in for a slim.

tachi

Post by tachi » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:48 pm

commanderkaiser wrote:I fancy trading in my phat for a slim cause I think mine is on it's last legs. What one did you have? I've got a 40GB so I'm wondering how much I'll have to pay extra, also was yours boxed with controller and all wires?

Mine was also a 40gb phat and returned it with the original:
Mains
Aerial
Usb lead
Controller

Took box also but he admited it wont get used.
Also traded a bunch of old games.
Trade value for PS3 was £50 but vumped to £70 as was trafing towards another console (some deal they have at the mo).

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:23 pm

RetroRevival wrote:Yep.....

I can attest to this. I suffered YLOD so many times it wasnt funny, managed to rescue it each time, but never backed up my saves.

When my PS3 finally went to the big console graveyard, I lost my level 60 Skyrim save.....gutted :cry:

Spacepatrol

Post by Spacepatrol » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:22 pm

My PS3 YLoD on me 6 months go. Still got LA Noir in the drive, but worst of all lost 60 hours of Grandia (PS1) save. I was playing the game really slowly and just about at the end.