gamesTM issue 126 Retro section

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

merman

gamesTM issue 126 Retro section

Post by merman » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:34 am

Don't know how many here read/subscribe, but would you be interested in knowing what's in each new issue, particularly the Retro section?

Out on Thursday is issue 126 (Ouya console on the cover):

Behind the Scenes - Destruction Derby
Best Boss spread - Jabba the Hutt (Super Empire Strikes Back)
Conversion Catastrophe - Double Dragon II (Megadrive)
Complete History 1995
Collector's Corner - Air Raid (Atari 2600)
The Retro Guide to Donkey Kong
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Lorfarius

Re: gamesTM issue 126 Retro section

Post by Lorfarius » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:05 pm

I used to type this up regular on another forum but after they dropped the intro letter and news section it all felt a bit disconnected. Like they just threw a few articles in the back of the mag. Just not the same anymore :(
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:46 pm

I cancelled my sub the other day, not because I don't like the mag; partly it's due to the fact that mags are just not how I get my current gaming info for 4 years now, but mainly due to my general dissatisfaction with the way current gaming seems to be going... digital only, Facebook, Free To Play really do not appeal to me in the slightest. Garnett Lee said the other day that he was at a publishing conference (part of his role is getting involved in publishing now apparently), anyway the big wigs were all talking about game mechanics on Free to Play games... but not the sort of game mechanics we know, i.e. what you do in the game... they were interested in how and when to entice the player to spend money, i.e. to game money out of them. If this is the future then gaming can censored off.

To the comment above, to be fair they have integrated forum comments elsewhere in the mag - I kind of see why they pulled the letters, if they didn't get many and they weren't great then well, what else were they supposed to do.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:15 pm

I'm not sure they pulled them just pushed the Atari guy to the front of the mag. I used to love the way the editor (Ash) had his own section and it felt like something completely different but he was pushed away from being public and replaced with the Atari guy.

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:46 pm

I like the Games big annuals they release every so often, but can't justify buying the mag for such a small retro section, although i did just that this month because of the Panzer Dragoon feature, and then though it wasn't worth the £5 just to read just that (seemed a good idea at the time though.)

Ash

Post by Ash » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:22 am

Lorfarius wrote:I'm not sure they pulled them just pushed the Atari guy to the front of the mag. I used to love the way the editor (Ash) had his own section and it felt like something completely different but he was pushed away from being public and replaced with the Atari guy.
"Pushed away" is a bit strong. It was actually my decision to stop writing the retro editorial because I felt it was incongruous with the otherwise anonymous tone of the magazine. I made Howard a regular columnist when I realised that's he's a much better writer than about 90% of games journalists... And that's the reason he was moved to the front of the mag... He's good enough that I felt he should be allowed to write about any topic he liked.

I understand your criticisms about the section though. Especially with the Retro News gone, it feels less like its own entity, but I'm working quietly behind the scenes to do something about that. The Retro section has existed in its current form for 64 issues now - longer than the first incarnation of the retro section - so it's about due for a refresh. I can't say much more at the moment but I'm hoping that it will be in very cool shape around December/January.

In the meantime we'll continue to to try to fill the section with the sort of articles - like the Panzer Dragoon one - that people would buy the mag just to read. I'm very much aware, after all, that there are a few people who love the section but aren't that interested in the modern part of the mag. So I know it has to work hard to justify that fiver.

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:44 am

With the pushed away comment its more the impression the mag gave. One minute you were there, the next just vanished without a reason was a bit jarring. Always felt it was better when you were public, like Darren is now it seems he's more contactable and involved in the community (not saying you aren't its just the impression the mag gives me these days). At the moment because of the changes its like just a few random writers are doing the articles rather than one person in control of it all. Retro will always be niche (hell lots of this stuff is 30 years old and only us old fogies tend to enjoy it :lol: ) and appeal to a small group so always been a fan of appealing on a community scale.

It's also the reason I stopped doing the posts each month in the retro section of Rllmuk. It just felt a bit like throwing up a list of articles with no involvement and no one seemed all that bothered anymore :(

I will say I've been a subscriber since the retro section started is the only reason I still have it. I tend to just flick through the earlier parts these days so I'm all for seeing the retro part expanded, think you did a great job taking over when you did.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:27 am

Last time I bought it it was for an article on Sonic The Comic - which then showed up in the bookazine two months later!

Lesson learned, ho ho.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Ash

Post by Ash » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:59 pm

Lorfarius wrote:With the pushed away comment its more the impression the mag gave. One minute you were there, the next just vanished without a reason was a bit jarring. Always felt it was better when you were public, like Darren is now it seems he's more contactable and involved in the community (not saying you aren't its just the impression the mag gives me these days). At the moment because of the changes its like just a few random writers are doing the articles rather than one person in control of it all. Retro will always be niche (hell lots of this stuff is 30 years old and only us old fogies tend to enjoy it :lol: ) and appeal to a small group so always been a fan of appealing on a community scale.

It's also the reason I stopped doing the posts each month in the retro section of Rllmuk. It just felt a bit like throwing up a list of articles with no involvement and no one seemed all that bothered anymore :(

I will say I've been a subscriber since the retro section started is the only reason I still have it. I tend to just flick through the earlier parts these days so I'm all for seeing the retro part expanded, think you did a great job taking over when you did.
Thanks for the feedback. Can't say I'll be bringing the editorial column back any time soon but I'm definitely still involved with readers on the forum, twitter etc... I have some ideas for how to make the Retro section more personable too. Stay tuned...

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:02 pm

I changed my subscription to another mag, when I started to see repeated articles or similar material used in RG and the Retro Section of GamesTM.

merman

Post by merman » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:43 am

IronMaidenRule wrote:I changed my subscription to another mag, when I started to see repeated articles or similar material used in RG and the Retro Section of GamesTM.
Only repeated articles a couple of times in the last seven years... And several freelancers write for both mags.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:46 am

I get their retro compendium bookazines, really like them. Not that interested in current or next generation stuff myself though, so most of the normal magazine would be wasted no me!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:37 am

Can't say I've ever had a problem with stuff being repeated in fact its always felt like GamesTM has its own distintive feel.

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Ive got Games tm on subscription as it's worth £3.50 a month to see whats going on in the games industry and what titles are coming up.. I cut out the retro section and have them all in a huge pile, at least 2 compilations worth, which I will put in a binder eventually.