The Big Bang Theory (sitcom)

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Hardest of All Freds

Re: The Big Bang Theory (sitcom)

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:47 am

Best comedy show on telly in recent times was Sorry I have No Head on CBBC, closely followed by Ministry of Curious Stuff. How has chidrens tv been the last bastion of comedy??
Going Solo...................

necronom

Post by necronom » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:48 am

It's my favourite American comedy series. I've been trying to think of any others, and I'm struggling. My Name Is Earl I quite liked, but that's about it.

Futurama and Family guy are very good, but not live action, and other things that are funny (like Buffy) aren't purely comedy.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:34 am

necronom wrote: My Name Is Earl
Forgot about that one.
It is a bit good

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:11 am

The Hardest of All Freds wrote:Best comedy show on telly in recent times was Sorry I have No Head on CBBC, closely followed by Ministry of Curious Stuff. How has chidrens tv been the last bastion of comedy??
Ministry Of Curious Stuff - Is that the one with the guy in the room full of video tapes and he puts them on, each containing sketches?
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:30 am

^ No, that was (opens Wikipedia)... Chute!

Ministry of Curious Stuff is the one with Vic Reeves and the guy who plays Angelos Epithemiou as some naval type.

stvd

Post by stvd » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:59 am

I generally hate american sitcoms so I gave Big Bang Theory a watch last night.
The episode where the made a killer robot at the beginning.

It reminded me why I hate them.
Friends - but with geeks. Obvious punchlines - audience laughing at anything. Absolute sh!te!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:05 am

stvd wrote: Friends - but with geeks. Obvious punchlines - audience laughing at anything. Absolute sh!te!
Nailed it in one.
Added onto it is that like Friends was its always shown on one of those 4 channels

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:19 am

One of my faves things on tv at the mo :)

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:21 pm

DPrinny wrote:
necronom wrote: My Name Is Earl
Forgot about that one.
It is a bit good
Earl was ace but even at only 4 series it went too long. The cops episode? just too funny :lol:

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:17 am

Liamh1982 wrote:^ No, that was (opens Wikipedia)... Chute!

Ministry of Curious Stuff is the one with Vic Reeves and the guy who plays Angelos Epithemiou as some naval type.
Sounds like fun, I'll have a look for it on the iPlayer thingy. Still really like Chute though.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:49 am

STranger81 wrote:
merman wrote:
rapidly-greying wrote:American sitcoms need to take note of British sitcoms like spaced and know when something has run its course.

Big bang should have tied it all up by the end of the 3rd series.
I know people buy into this "Fawlty Towers only did twelve episodes" theory, but that's not how American TV works.
This.

Look at The Office. Genius. But Ricky Gervais at Stephen Merchant decided it was time to end it so they did. They could easily have got another series out of it, and have Brent leave at the end of series 3 instead of 2. Now compare that to the The Office, An American Workplace. Theyre milking that to death. 8 seasons down, thats a lot of episodes. I think American TV flogs a show until its on its last legs and not a minute sooner. Just look at King Of The Hill. Im a massive Mike Judge fan but the last couple of seasons were dire.
Totally agree with this. Even Frasier, which I think is probably the best sit-com ever created, went on a little too long (it should have stopped after Daphne and Niles got hitched, or at least after they had kids). Friends was also great for a while but stopped being funny by about the sixth series, after which they all became caricatures of themselves.

I think the same problem applies to their dramas (eg. Lost, Quantum Leap). It becomes very easy to lose interest in these programs when they drag them out for so long. At least the length of Game of Thrones will be determined by George R. R. Martin and not TV executives!

Mind you, we're not always innocent of such flogging over here. How many 'specials' of Only Fools and Horses have there been? Given that the whole premise of that show was about two brothers trying to make their million, they really should have stopped there, rather than hit us with those god-awful specials.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:23 am

Watched the season five finale of Big Bang Theory, dont worry I wont spoil anything for those who havent seen it.. anyway it was utter dross, a few smiles raised due to some light gags.. but it was like watching Friends mixed with Sex in the City... all schmatzly wedding bullsh1t, soft lighting (looking like an episode of 'the bachelor' or some other reality tv abomination). It was dreadful.

Im glad it ended so badly as now I don't care about when the next season arrives. It really should just stop as the whole real element of the show and characters that made it so funny have now warped into cartoon versions of them that just reek of writers giving them new traits and storylines for the sake of it, even when it doesnt suit the character they have built up over 100 episodes.

Really disappointed.

I imagine season 6 will be as funny as 'Friends' once they started marrying them all off to each other, which resulted in sickening, laugh-free, self indulgence.

BOOOOOO!