The Big Bang Theory (sitcom)

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ChipTune

The Big Bang Theory (sitcom)

Post by ChipTune » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:34 pm

I recently saw The Big Bang Theory, and at first thought it was awful, I would switch on the tv to find it midway through an episode and I had no background knowledge of the characters so dismissed it as another dumb american sitcom, like the truly heinous Two and a Half Men.

But the girlfriend seemed to like it so i downloaded season 1 and 2 and we watched all of them over the course of a week and I ended up really liking it..

Sure it can be a bit ropey and the main character Sheldon is too far fetched (why don't they have the balls to say he has asperger's syndrome as this would explain why he is this way).

But it is very very funny.. season 4 starts to go a bit 'friends' having people get engaged and milking the whole 'will they won't they' nonsense with regards to the completely unbelievable relationship between Leonard and Penny (I find her incredibly irritating).

But otherwise it's great, but I can imagine people absolutely hating it, so was wondering what the general consensus on here was! :)
Last edited by ChipTune on Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

the_hawk

Re: The Big Bang Theory (sitcom)

Post by the_hawk » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:09 am

I too am not a fan of sitcoms in general, especially bland US ones with one dimensional characters, shallow plots & predictable jokes.

However I also like the Big Bang Theory, one of the few sitcoms that genuinely makes me laugh.

Totally agree about the later series becoming a bit more "friends-y" too. Though it still has more chuckles per episode than the vast majority of stuff out there.
Last edited by the_hawk on Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:44 pm

While some of the requisite 'situations' for a sitcom are sometimes lacking and the characters caricatures, there's obviously a certain amount of love for geek culture among the writers. It works on a couple of levels as I can watch it with Mrs Ant and she'll laugh at some bits, I at others, but with so many references to catch it can be fun for that alone. There are just so many movie, comic and gaming things thrown in, from collectables around the set to quick one liners. Its taken a fairly standard sitcom and layered it just for us. What's not to like?

Nice tidy thread this, btw ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:51 pm

the_hawk wrote:I too am not a fan of sitcoms in general, especially bland US ones with one dimensional characters, shallow plots & predictable jokes.

However I also like the Big Bang Theory, one of the few sitcoms that genuinely makes me laugh.
THIS!

Big Bang Theory is one of my favourite things on TV

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:56 pm

Tried to like it.

But ended up not liking it due to it trying to hard to be nerdy and funny
Look hur hur they are nerds they do things "normal" people dont

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:06 pm

I like it, have aquired all series. Yep, it's by the numbers but I like sci-fi, gaming and stuff so it raises it slightly above every other buddy comedy. There are also more than a few blork moments :lol: :lol: :lol:

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:08 pm

Yep, hilarious.

Yes, it's over-the-top. Yet there are plenty of people in academia worse than Sheldon Cooper - what's slightly unrealistic is that at least he seems to manage to maintain a clean flat and personal hygiene. Sitcom staple large lounges with bedrooms/bathrooms that are really just doors you never see behind. At least in sitcom apartments they don't have those stupid staircases that go half-way up the wall and end at a door that would lead outside the building, like Roseanne or Married with Children or whatever. And for all Howard's out-of-touch 70s style he's still immaculately turned out every time you see him.

I wonder what it's like for the live audience though - I presume for that stairwell there's only one set, so they have to keep walking round and round it whilst stage-hands redecorate each floor?

I've been told they do write it like Star Trek - the writers knock out the main script, then they have some advisor nerds and geeks to fill in the blanks with relevant technical/sci-fi/comic references. What's brilliant is they're still funny even if you don't know what they're referring to.

What impresses me most is Amy Farrah Fowler. There's enough nerdy detail there to warrant a gag in the show itself. In an earlier episode, there was a joke about Raj fancying the (under-age) girl from Blossom. That's actually who plays Amy (actress Mayim Bialik), and she genuinely has a PhD in neuroscience.
Last edited by joefish on Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:23 pm

joefish wrote: What impresses me most is Amy Farrah Fowler. There's enough nerdy detail there to warrant a gag in the show itself. In an earlier episode, there was a joke about Raj fancying the (under-age) girl from Blossom. That's actually who plays Amy (actress Mayim Bialik), and she genuinely has a PhD in neuroscience.

BLORK! :lol:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:26 pm

joefish wrote:I wonder what it's like for the live audience though - I presume for that stairwell there's only one set, so they have to keep walking round and round it whilst stage-hands redecorate each floor?
I'm not sure how or why I saw this, but there was a broadcast with on set interviews with the cast in a sort of 'making of' style. The stairwell is just one set. They built it, then realised that it actually needed to go down so they had to get permission to cut a hole in the floor for the 'down' stairs as the budget didn't allow for the set to be rebuilt on a raised level :lol:

The stairs go down round the corner and end right behind the lift in a dead end. Rather grossly, the cast have taken to sticking their gum on it every time they go down :?

There are a lot of alternate takes with different lines shot and they'll generally go with the audience reaction. Sometimes they'll just ad lib stuff.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:27 pm

I've also watched the outtakes on you tube :oops: :oops: :oops: and laughed a lot! especially at Raj when he messes up his lines :lol:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:34 pm

That reminds me. Has anyone else noticed the Americans seem to think its ok to be racist about Indians? There are so many shows where they do really bad stereotypes. Its all rather 1970s UK. There was even a (quite funny) sitcom about an Indian call centre that was worth watching more for its cringeworthiness than the comedy. Admittedly they played the American's as dumb foreigners there too, but you'd never get away with some of it here.

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:42 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:That reminds me. Has anyone else noticed the Americans seem to think its ok to be racist about Indians? There are so many shows where they do really bad stereotypes. Its all rather 1970s UK. There was even a (quite funny) sitcom about an Indian call centre that was worth watching more for its cringeworthiness than the comedy. Admittedly they played the American's as dumb foreigners there too, but you'd never get away with some of it here.
Noticed that in 'Rules of Engagement' too (I think Patrick Warburton (The Tick) is brilliant in that).
What I notice is they're happy to integrate an Indian character in a mostly white cast. I don't know if it's progressive or regressing to the 'token black guy' school of writing. I think I'm giving it too much credit and all too often it's the latter. In Big Bang Theory I don't think it's offensive or derisory, as Raj and his family are definite characters, not a shoe-in for an entire race, but I've not seen too many other examples.

What is blatantly obvious is American sitcoms, as a general rule, never mix a white and black leading cast. And I think that's apalling.

Carrot007

Post by Carrot007 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:03 pm

Love it myself.

It's funny and no more stereotypical that other sitcomms. Just in an area that more hits home maybe?

Watch the unaired pilot as well if you can find it. Quite different, probably better in some ways but less commercial.

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:10 pm

Really like Big Bang. Its bound to be something our nerdy community will gravitate too, right..? :wink:

Before the 'making of' show they ran i had noticed the paintwork and scuffs on the lift shaft doorframe was the same on each floor telling me it was a one level set filmed over and over again.. 8)

All the characters are spot on, the mix is good.

Apparently Sheldon has recently come out of the closet in real life.?

RIK

commanderkaiser

Post by commanderkaiser » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:40 pm

I'm not really a fan, I liked it for the first series but after that it sort of jsut became the same old predictable jokes, oh look at Sheldon being incredibly nerdy, look at Howard fail with the lady's again etc

I suppose it's funny at times, but the bad outweighs the good for me. I feel this way with almost all American comedy's I just don't like them I'd much prefer to watch something like The IT Crowd, Father Ted, Peep Show, Black Books etc.