I'm now, officially, a Specky ****

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

rossi46

I'm now, officially, a Specky ****

Post by rossi46 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:15 pm

After a long while of denial, procrastination, downright laziness and an inadvertant (but very realistic) MR. Magoo impersonation I finally gave in and got my eyes tested. It turns out I'm in dire need of optical assistance. Well, today the dreaded glasses dropped onto my doormat, courtesy of Glasses Direct.

They feel a bit weird, to be honest, but I've been assured that they suit me fine and I have to admit that seeing the world in HD, like I used to be able to, is fantastic.

My only question is: will the tough guys now want to take my dinner money off me?
Thoughts and prayers.

Liamh1982

Re: I'm now, officially, a Specky ****

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:00 pm

As long as they're not like my first pair you'll be fine. Dennis Taylor would have said they were too big.

I was 11... :(

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:07 pm

I got glasses for reading 2 years ago. I've not been picked on. Not yet anyway! The specs instantly helped which was awesome and meant I wasn't making mistakes by not seeing powers or misreading symbols.

Wearing them did feel a bit odd for a while, but now I use them for almost all close up work. Including playing games on the Game Boy!

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:41 pm

rossi46 wrote:...My only question is: will the tough guys now want to take my dinner money off me?
It depends on how much you've got. If you've got less than a quid, I will take a quarter of strawberry bon bons and a beano instead.

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:35 pm

Mire Mare wrote:I got glasses for reading 2 years ago. I've not been picked on. Not yet anyway! The specs instantly helped which was awesome and meant I wasn't making mistakes by not seeing powers or misreading symbols.

Wearing them did feel a bit odd for a while, but now I use them for almost all close up work. Including playing games on the Game Boy!
Same here, dont use them anywhere near as much as I should though. Even though they make a real difference when I do.

Eat your nans pants

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:57 am

I have a pair I don't often wear more due to laziness than anything (since I can just get away without them). I rather like them, they give quite a different look.

Need a new pair really since they're quite dated now.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:28 am

rossi46 wrote: I have to admit that seeing the world in HD, like I used to be able to, is fantastic.
That's what I thought! A taxi driver once said to me he thought his vision was fine, but when he put contact lenses in for the first time it was like wiping away a steamy window. You don't realise how great perfect eyesight can be.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

merman

Post by merman » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:52 am

Always remember a letter in ZZAP, a reader had sight problems and wondered if computer games were to blame. Lloyd Mangram's reply was that Julian Rignall had been tested recently and had 20/20 vision...

Been wearing glasses since I was four. The worst pair I had were bifocals at the age of 10, could not get used to them.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:47 pm

Welcome to the club. Hated mine at first and tried to avoid using them but now I just keep them on all the time and I don't even notice that they are there. Glasses are harmless once you get over all the bollox about your 'image' being damaged by wearing glasses.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:51 pm

Been wearing them since I was 17 :( so I am old enough to remember life before them. I have looked into laser but I have been told I would get 5/6 years max before I needed glasses again so not worth it. I started off just using them for driving I I just have them on all the time now
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:13 pm

I don't like glasses as they don't correct your perihperal. I wear contacts and have done so for about 10 years.

dste

Post by dste » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:13 pm

I've been wearing glasses for as long as I can remember, don't recall not ever wearing them.

Just like second nature now and pretty much cannot see without them.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:04 pm

Something that annoys me about having to wear glasses for reading is when I go out to a restaurant and I can't read the darned menu! Recently all I could see was tiny black print on a dark blue or purple background. In dimmed light it'd be hard to read anyway but for me it was impossible. Still, there was an upside, it was a good excuse for me to simply opt for steak.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:17 pm

Mire Mare wrote:Something that annoys me about having to wear glasses for reading is when I go out to a restaurant and I can't read the darned menu! Recently all I could see was tiny black print on a dark blue or purple background. In dimmed light it'd be hard to read anyway but for me it was impossible. Still, there was an upside, it was a good excuse for me to simply opt for steak.
LOL, yes, just go for the steak :D That's what I'm going to do from now on!

My eight year old son has worn glasses since he was three and he's delighted that his Dad now has to do the same.
Thoughts and prayers.

crusto

Post by crusto » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:24 pm

My 5 year old started wearing his this week, the opticians reckon these will 'put him right' within approx 6 months and then he should be glasses free. I wonder how they predict such things.

Eat your nans pants