Hangovers

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

crusto

Hangovers

Post by crusto » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:14 pm

Anybody suffer with these?

Im asking because (yet again) I have lost the entire day to one and have only just recently felt fit enough to turn on my PC! I have spent the whole of today sh*tting and puking, whilst also suffering from a headache which felt akin to being bludgeoned repeatedly with a hammer. Im not a heavy drinker, I would consider myself a relatively low consumer. Sometimes I can go to bed almost sober, yet still wake up feeling like pure death.

The most annoying thing is that I have tried every trick in the book to avoid getting one, or to soften the blow when the inevitable happens, nothing works. Only occasionally I will 'get away with it' and wake up feeling great after a heavy night on the tiles. Ive always suffered from them, but these last few years they seem to be lasting for 2 or even 3 days sometimes! Im seriously considering giving up drinking, it can be a laugh at the time, but its just not worth all the suffering it causes afterwards.

Eat your nans pants

Rinoa

Re: Hangovers

Post by Rinoa » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:35 am

I rarely get bad hangovers, just feel a bit rough the morning after. I tend to drink a lot of water before I go to bed after a night out, and I wake up a fair bit so drink more water then too. This seems to keep my hangovers at bay. Also if I wake up in the morning feeling a bit nasty I just go back to sleep. Sleeping it off seems to work for me too.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:51 am

I hate to be that guy, but I honestly don't get hangovers. Or maybe I've just learnt to ignore them.....

Seriously, last Friday night I drank 9 cans of Strongbow plus a few whisky chasers, got woken up at 6.45am by the cat. Just stayed up, had a bowl of cornflakes and a cup of tea and bowled on with the day!

I do have a theory that I may have some sort of super-liver.

Helensification

Post by Helensification » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:55 am

I rarely get hangovers but then again I am careful what I drink and I drink soft drinks as well as alcoholic ones.

If I drink Lager all night then I'm in a right state the next day and after drinking wine I always get headaches so I avoid those drinks.

By sticking to Harveys, Rum (or as I recently found Crabbies) I am fine. (touchwood :wink: )

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:03 am

I dislike hangovers so much and hate the wasted day they produce that I moderate my drinking quite a bit now. I still enjoy myself, but where before I would pile on and get battered, now I will just slow down and stop drinking fairly early on.
I also only drink ale or wine that I really like, and enjoy it. Long gone are the days of buying pints of export strength lager and knocking them back like smarties.
I get pretty dire hangovers when they do happen, and the only real mitigation is to not drink too much. I now recognise the point in the evening when "one more drink" will be the one that sees me in pretty shabby state the next day. So I don't have it.
I always make sure I drink a pint of water before bed, and have a collection of ibuprofen and soft drinks by the bed for when I wake up.

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:08 am

same here with the no hangovers thing i'm afraid. never had one, and i think if i ever got one, it would be the day i really did stop drinking, but so far, at nearly 35, nothing. and it's not through lack of trying, i can assure you.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:23 am

I used to get really bad hangovers when i was in my 20's due to just drinking tons. Always used to eat a lot of 'stodge' before i went out though which seemed to help, never used to 'go for a curry and some pints' as that'll just churn my stomach big time.

Now in my late 30's i dont drink that much, if i get to 5 or so pints and feel merry i tend to stop there and not push it anymore. In my 20's i didnt mind getting hammered/having a monster hangover but feel its embarassing now late 30's ! Still drink a pint of water when i come in from the pub which seems to help

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:56 am

I wouldn't know. I don't drink, and I go to gym 6 days a week, and have an athletes body. Never vomit, or have the sh*ts.

You could say sh*ts cash for me.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:30 am

Drinking is awesome. There isn't anything that can't be improved without the addition of alcohol.

I'm 32 and still don't know what gives me a hangover and what doesn't. Sometimes I'll just have three beers and get a hangover, sometimes a full night out and I'll be okay the next day.

Here's to alcohol - the cause of (and solution to) all of life's problems! :D
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

vp002

Post by vp002 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:38 am

dear all ,

hey crusto i was in the coachouse last night and also have a hangover ,i usually do the drink a pint of water and then pop a couple of aspirins , as like yourself i dont drink much and get terrible hangovers , or usually a bacon sarnie and a pint of orange juice and lemonade will pep you up !

vinny

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:47 am

I once read that a glass of pure orange and an ibuprofen before bed is a good cure.

My main hangover problems stem from a lack of sleep, something drugs can't help with really!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

alistair_thomas

Post by alistair_thomas » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:03 am

Alkaseltser before bed and first thing in the morning works for me :)

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:40 am

samhain81 wrote:I wouldn't know. I don't drink, and I go to gym 6 days a week, and have an athletes body....
Does he want it back?

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:53 am

djcarlos wrote:
samhain81 wrote:I wouldn't know. I don't drink, and I go to gym 6 days a week, and have an athletes body....
Does he want it back?
hurrdy durr durr

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:08 am

Half a pint to a pint of water before sleep. Then two paracetamol plus a pint of water the morning after and problem solved... for me at least.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac