2012/13 Football season chat

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

dste

Re: 2012/13 Football season chat

Post by dste » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:46 pm

Cotterill sacked and now according to rumours Glenn Hoddle is a strong candidate for the job. :shock:

I really do hope not.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:02 am

Adebayour signs for Spurs for an undisclosed fee
Hugo Rodallega signs for Wigan on a free
Dean Ambrose signs for Birmingham for 250k

and

Michael Owen is still a free agent and says he is still world class and will only sign for a top premier league club! :shock:

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:54 am

Wish Owen would just swallow his pride, go to a premiership side, show he can still play by getting 20 goals and then perhaps get his one final dream move.

Hes done nothing for years at Man Utd, was a huge mistake moving from Newcastle-Man Utd where he was previously getting first team football on a regular basis

Shame as in his prime Owen was superb

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:58 pm

I am loving the Gooners new kit for this season:

It is actually real too :shock:

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:02 pm

psj3809 wrote:Wish Owen would just swallow his pride, go to a premiership side, show he can still play by getting 20 goals...
You do know even at his prime Owen never got 20 league goals in a season?

It's hard to warm to him - never worshipped in the same manner at Anfield as Rushie and God* (even though like Owen they grew up Evertonians, once they wore red all was forgiven) or even Torres before he saw the pound signs.

* Robbie Fowler if you didn't already know.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:29 pm

There was only one true 'God',

There's even t-shirts of it still produced!
http://www.soccerprint.co.uk/shop/aston ... shirt.html

Paul McGrath my lord Paul McGrath
Oh lord Paul McGrath
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:32 pm

Jagfest_UK wrote:I am loving the Gooners new kit for this season.....
Im not :(

But, I am loving the fact that Sp*rs last won the league in black and white and still managed to finish below the Gooners despite us being even more cack at times last season than usual....
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Loftgroover

Post by Loftgroover » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:26 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:There was only one true 'God',

There's even t-shirts of it still produced!

Oh lord Paul McGrath
You sir are a good man! :)

Good run out vs Burton yesterday....2 new signings made a promising start and our away kit is absolutely awful!
WE GLOW IN THE DARK WE GLOW IN THE DARK, WE'RE ASTON VILLA AND WE GLOW IN THE DARK :D

Good to be back after what seemed like 500 years of Mcleish...

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:33 am

Liamh1982 wrote:
psj3809 wrote:Wish Owen would just swallow his pride, go to a premiership side, show he can still play by getting 20 goals...
You do know even at his prime Owen never got 20 league goals in a season?

It's hard to warm to him - never worshipped in the same manner at Anfield as Rushie and God* (even though like Owen they grew up Evertonians, once they wore red all was forgiven) or even Torres before he saw the pound signs.
Good point ! Never knew that, just presumed !! Shame the way his careers disappeared, sure many teams would sign him but becoming a bit of a prima donna.

Some good Reading signings this year, Nicky Shorey's back with the club, plus some other very good players coming on a free. Just want them to sign up as i think its next year is it because of the new deal for the Premiership money for the teams rockets. Hopefully with the Russian taking over Reading he'll pay a fair bit for new players in the future.

Roll on August

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:38 am

Being my local club I have been following Reading's activities too, might go see a game there next season.

I have actually played in a charity game at their stadium.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:00 am

Michael Owen did score shedloads of goals though, more than 20 a season a few times, just that some of his goals came in FA cup, League Cup, UEFA Cup, Champions league. He was deadly, and was good with his left foot, right foot and head. He had a good ratio of minutes-to-goals at Real Madrid, too. I stopped taking notice when he went to Newcastle though.

Also, bear in mind that when he was at Liverpool, Houllier's tactics were quite negative, counter-attacking. Who knows how many more goals he could have had in an attacking team?
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:58 am

Jagfest_UK wrote:Being my local club I have been following Reading's activities too, might go see a game there next season.

I have actually played in a charity game at their stadium.
I used to go in the old Elm Park days (Played once there) which was a great laugh, moved away now so dont see many home games, should try and see the odd away game near me.

Either way its great seeing the way Reading have risen to be a very good team, great stadium and 'hopefully' will be going onto bigger and better things. Always thought it was a shame when i lived near to Reading but most of my mates always supported London clubs and not their local.

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:47 pm

greenberet79 wrote:Michael Owen did score shedloads of goals though, more than 20 a season a few times, just that some of his goals came in FA cup, League Cup, UEFA Cup, Champions league. He was deadly, and was good with his left foot, right foot and head. He had a good ratio of minutes-to-goals at Real Madrid, too. I stopped taking notice when he went to Newcastle though.

Also, bear in mind that when he was at Liverpool, Houllier's tactics were quite negative, counter-attacking. Who knows how many more goals he could have had in an attacking team?
I wouldn't mind having him back.. he can't do any worse than what we've got now

dste

Post by dste » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:43 pm

Chris Gunter has signed for Reading leaving us with no Defenders. :x
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

dste

Post by dste » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:29 pm

Sean O'Driscoll new Forest manager.

Was a coach for us at the end of last season and is credited more than Cotterill was for keeping us up. Left to manage Crawley and has now come back to manage us on a three year contract without managing a competitive game for them.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog