New retro gaming store coming to London soon!!

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

sscott

Re: New retro gaming store coming to London soon!!

Post by sscott » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:31 am

Joey wrote:
sscott wrote:Well, the best of luck, competing with Internet prices is tough but hope it goes well...
Too true, it's all well and good telling these guys to be well priced but when they are getting their stock from the same places as us and everyone else it's very tricky.

It's not like there is some retro game wholesalers/warehouse that supplies all the retro gaming shops around the country.
Agreed, so the question is more what can be offered in a store than online? Well, the tactile experience of looking through stuff, trying before you buy maybe, talking with knowledgeable staff, meeting fellow enthusiats...

retrogamingmuseum

Post by retrogamingmuseum » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:41 am

The only way a niche business such as ours can survive on the high st is to have a successful mail order/ecomms business, which we already have up and running. We'd outgrown our homes/garages/etc and, with business units badly overpriced in London, it wasnt that much more to rent a shop so we decided to go for it! We'll need to make about 15-20% of our turnover from the shop, and I'm pretty sure we can do that with you guys' support. We might not get everything right straight away, and we'll never be able to please every single person, but we are huge retro gaming enthusiasts (obviously!) and love the business side of it too.

Of course we are all chasing the same finite amount of products, but there's millions of games and machines sitting in lofts/garages etc and its a lot of fun sourcing it all! Also, we have access to some very interesting new/3rd party retro gaming products so I can confidently state there will be something for everyone! As for our pricing, well if you want to buy a boxed Zelda snes game with a map or Conker's Bad Fur Day on the N64 then obviously its not going to be cheap, but if your tastes are more modest you'll be able to leave our store with a bagful of games and change from £20.

Thanks for all your feedback/enthusiasm so far by the way!
London's only dedicated Retro Gaming shop - Retro Game Base 430 Streatham High Rd, SW16 3PX http://www.retrogamebase.co.uk http://www.facebook.com/retrogamebase

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:33 am

Sounds good, and I wish you luck with it.

You might want to host regular high score tournaments with a modest entry fee (50p) where the winners get a £10 voucher to spend in the store or something like that - just an idea.
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:22 am

This is excellent news - there aren't enough retro stores in London, or places to play arcades. I'll definitely be visiting when you open.

Any idea when you'll be opening, and what arcades you're likely to have in store?
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:13 am

retrogamingmuseum wrote:Of course we are all chasing the same finite amount of products, but there's millions of games and machines sitting in lofts/garages etc and its a lot of fun sourcing it all!
I think that's the only way you can get the pricing right - otherwise buying bulk lots on ebay will mean you have to price yourselves too high in store in order to make it profitable.

I'll come down (probably my bro will be keen too) and check it out when you open sometime.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

retrogamingmuseum

Post by retrogamingmuseum » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:17 pm

Currently we're looking to be open on the 23rd June. Worst case that gets pushed back a week but we'll know within a week whether we're on course.

Arcade wise we will have an regularly-changing guest machine or two (we do a lot with arcade machines so have new things coming into our workshop - now there'll be a great place to test them out thoroughly!), but three machines likely to remain in place are a Neo Geo (with regularly changing games obviously!), a standard 60-in 1 classics and a donkey kong clone cocktail. Ive got a smash tv on the way but it has a faulty board, so that will defo make an early appearance, and SF2 is bound to show its face.
London's only dedicated Retro Gaming shop - Retro Game Base 430 Streatham High Rd, SW16 3PX http://www.retrogamebase.co.uk http://www.facebook.com/retrogamebase

boyo

Post by boyo » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:26 pm

retrogamingmuseum wrote:Currently we're looking to be open on the 23rd June. Worst case that gets pushed back a week but we'll know within a week whether we're on course.

Arcade wise we will have an regularly-changing guest machine or two (we do a lot with arcade machines so have new things coming into our workshop - now there'll be a great place to test them out thoroughly!), but three machines likely to remain in place are a Neo Geo (with regularly changing games obviously!), a standard 60-in 1 classics and a donkey kong clone cocktail. Ive got a smash tv on the way but it has a faulty board, so that will defo make an early appearance, and SF2 is bound to show its face.
And if you want a website then give me a shout - just done one for Attic Bug - http://atticbug.co.uk/ and I have also done one for http://www.retro-play.co.uk/

My prices can be competitive!! :D

wowwow

Post by wowwow » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:09 am

Good luck with the opening:)

If you are looking for any Retro Magazines to stock in your shop then please drop me a pm, i've many c&vg, Commodore user, Your Commodore, zapp 64, Crash zx, computer games weekly, The hands machine along with others that may be forsale if your interested? Dates range from 1985 upto 1991.
Drop me a pm for anything you maybe interested in or for more info on specific items.
Again all the best for the shops future too.

Rgds.

Babbage

Post by Babbage » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:04 pm

for me, I like to be able to see the stock.

Local place that sells retro has everything lock
in glass cabs where you can't see the title, price
or condition

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:20 pm

There can never be enough retro.
Will it stock anything Amiga related?
Amstrad range?
All the best with it.

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:35 pm

Include all sorts of retro game related stuff, merch, oddities, magazines as well as games, good luck with it all :D
WANTED: ANY SNES or GAMEBOY GAMES, OR EMPTY BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS, going for FULL SETS of both.

retrogamingmuseum

Post by retrogamingmuseum » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:22 pm

Seadog74 wrote:There can never be enough retro.
Will it stock anything Amiga related?
Amstrad range?
All the best with it.
Yes we will definitely have some amiga stuff and a fair but of amstrad stuff. i have a load of amsoft games in their rare big boxes which i have no idea how to price as well as amstrad mags and some cpc tapes. loads of speccy as well.
wowwow wrote:Good luck with the opening:)

If you are looking for any Retro Magazines to stock in your shop then please drop me a pm, i've many c&vg, Commodore user, Your Commodore, zapp 64, Crash zx, computer games weekly, The hands machine along with others that may be forsale if your interested? Dates range from 1985 upto 1991.
Drop me a pm for anything you maybe interested in or for more info on specific items.
Again all the best for the shops future too.

Rgds.
If you have any bulk lots going pretty cheap id be interested, dont know enough about mags to get too involved but will have plenty to sell/browse, meaning there is bound to be some gold for someone who knows what they're looking for!

handbakedarcade

Post by handbakedarcade » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:39 pm

Well the store is whitewashed and some shelving up. Boxes have started to move in, the first cab has found a corner to stand proud and things are starting to take shape. This weekend is the beginnings of moving our huge haul of items to the shop.

With over 1400 already listed on our ebay store and another 2.5k dotted all over the place finally we will have a HQ. Great to see the support on here and the feedback from you. I hope we can provide an awesome shop/space that pleases the vast majority of you! :D
Hand Baked Arcade [new website]
Retro Game Base [shop]

zapiy

Post by zapiy » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:38 pm

Good luck with it guys, we will happily advertise you on our site and add a banner to our frontpage..

Maybe in exchange for a small image of ours in your store somewhere?

handbakedarcade

Post by handbakedarcade » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:48 pm

zapiy wrote:Good luck with it guys, we will happily advertise you on our site and add a banner to our frontpage..

Maybe in exchange for a small image of ours in your store somewhere?
this would be great, we are up for any link exchanges/advertising etc. please send me a email: tom@retrogamebase.co.uk and we can sort this out.
Hand Baked Arcade [new website]
Retro Game Base [shop]