New retro gaming store coming to London soon!!

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

retrogamingmuseum

New retro gaming store coming to London soon!!

Post by retrogamingmuseum » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:50 am

I'm pleased to announce that myself and Tom Hand Baked ( collectively Retro Game Base) will be opening a dedicated retro gaming outlet in Streatham. Lease signed and more details to follow soon! For now, what would you like to see in the store!
London's only dedicated Retro Gaming shop - Retro Game Base 430 Streatham High Rd, SW16 3PX http://www.retrogamebase.co.uk http://www.facebook.com/retrogamebase

samhain81

Re: New retro gaming store coming to London soon!!

Post by samhain81 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:32 am

retrogamingmuseum wrote: For now, what would you like to see in the store!
Game Cartridges that don't cost more than a boxed version on ebay.

Are you up to the challenge? Game Focus certainly wasn't, and look what happened to them

So to answer your question

Basically....Games people can afford

If this is achievable then I sincerely wish all the best for your future in London

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:28 am

Pretty much what the last guy said and also make sure you have a decent selection, not just loads of crap PS1 games and have a couple of systems people can play on too.

Dreamer

Post by Dreamer » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:51 am

Basically....Games people can afford

^THIS

It would also be pretty sweet if you had a nice bit of gaming merchandise, as i'm a real sucker for SEGA Merch :)

mlucifersam

Post by mlucifersam » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:03 am

Theres a shop in Afflecks Palace in Manchester. Almost everything is priced twice as much as you can get it for on ebay! Totally pointless. I understand a shop has to charge a bit more for overheads etc. Plus in a shop you can actually see what your purchasing but twice as much seems a bit ott to me.
Mark R. Jones

Ocean Software Ltd FB page: http://www.facebook.com/OceanSoftwareLtd
Ultimate Play The Game FB page: https://www.facebook.com/ultimateptg

retrogamingmuseum

Post by retrogamingmuseum » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:10 am

Yup, totally understand where you guys are coming from. As we will be selling the same items in store and online, our prices will pretty much be the same as in our ebay store/website. We will certainly have playable consoles and some coin-ops too! Deffo merch & curios as well! Loads of peripherals, 3rd party stuff as well as the awesome retro duo clone consoles!
London's only dedicated Retro Gaming shop - Retro Game Base 430 Streatham High Rd, SW16 3PX http://www.retrogamebase.co.uk http://www.facebook.com/retrogamebase

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:50 am

retrogamingmuseum wrote:Yup, totally understand where you guys are coming from. As we will be selling the same items in store and online, our prices will pretty much be the same as in our ebay store/website. We will certainly have playable consoles and some coin-ops too! Deffo merch & curios as well! Loads of peripherals, 3rd party stuff as well as the awesome retro duo clone consoles!
Then, I seriously await the day you open, I'll be down there every weekend

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:25 am

Well,as long as the pricing is still reasonable , regardless of the same as online , then I will be there on opening day.
Just hoping you can take the best part of old style Gamestation and minimise the presence of non games related stuff. Wall to wall,floor to ceiling retro games and merchandise will be a good start.
Any opening date yet?

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:06 am

Excellent news! Definitely looking forward to visiting this new shop. :D :D :D
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:24 am

Well, the best of luck, competing with Internet prices is tough but hope it goes well...

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:26 am

I agree with the sentiments echoed so far - if the pricing isn't right it's completely pointless. The rip off merchants on ebay have sucked all the fun out of it, I'm barely bothering buying any old games altogether because. Once I finish my Master System collection, I'm done.
Last edited by RetroBob on Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

martin_lovick

Post by martin_lovick » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:20 pm

It would be nice if the coin-ops could be priced as they were in the 80s/90s like 20p a go or something, arcades are very expensive these days!

I remember when you could get mars bar and beano and still have change from ten bob
Have you played Atari Today?

ebay stuff for sale http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/martin_lovick/m.html

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:37 pm

martin_lovick wrote:It would be nice if the coin-ops could be priced as they were in the 80s/90s like 20p a go or something, arcades are very expensive these days!

I remember when you could get mars bar and beano and still have change from ten bob

You're old!

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:45 pm

I wish you the best of luck. Opening any shop on the high street, especially nowadays, is extremely tough. I'll pop in when it opens up.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:52 pm

sscott wrote:Well, the best of luck, competing with Internet prices is tough but hope it goes well...
Too true, it's all well and good telling these guys to be well priced but when they are getting their stock from the same places as us and everyone else it's very tricky.

It's not like there is some retro game wholesalers/warehouse that supplies all the retro gaming shops around the country.