What do you do?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Megamixer

Re: What do you do?

Post by Megamixer » Sun May 06, 2012 2:27 pm

Dam wrote:No, I work for Booker! I've been there about 7 months, just Saturdays and Sundays, which has killed what little social life I had! Still needs must and all that.
Same here, looks like you have the same crappy hours I started with and still have. I do about 32 hours on the contract now plus overtime whenever it's available. I'll have been there 3 years later on this year if my maths is correct. Decent people to work with at my branch but the company itself is so damn frustrating and annoying at times.

I wish I could do something else but like I said, I have no idea what I would want to do. I'm always trying to give the art more time but I do like writing too so I'm considering some sort of course for something to work towards/ideas etc. Dunno really.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Dam

Post by Dam » Sun May 06, 2012 2:32 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Dam wrote:No, I work for Booker! I've been there about 7 months, just Saturdays and Sundays, which has killed what little social life I had! Still needs must and all that.
Same here, looks like you have the same crappy hours I started with and still have. I do about 32 hours on the contract now plus overtime whenever it's available. I'll have been there 3 years later on this year if my maths is correct. Decent people to work with at my branch but the company itself is so damn frustrating and annoying at times.

I wish I could do something else but like I said, I have no idea what I would want to do. I'm always trying to give the art more time but I do like writing too so I'm considering some sort of course for something to work towards/ideas etc. Dunno really.
I don't find it too bad, no real complaints here so far....The people I work with are great and like you said in your first post there are some nice regular customers who you can have a laugh with. There are some asshole customers too, but I try not to let them get to me!

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Sun May 06, 2012 4:07 pm

For a Living?
I'm a Team leader in a major retailer. Have been for 5 years, and before that worked there for 7 years with a 9 month gap; so even though i was in the same role I'm in now before I left, I had to start 'at the bottom' again. I could, and should, have been higher up by now but illness has unfortunately kept me where I am.
Do you Enjoy it?
The form I had to fill out threatening disciplinary action if any employee bad mouths the company on the internet, dictates that I must say yes ;) It's not bad though really, hard-ish work at times and basically I spend most of my time doing warehouse-style work despite it not being classed as a warehouse. It did give me several years of regular money income and allowed me to do what I wanted outside of my main job (writing, putting on gigs) though so can't complain.
Is the Money any Good?
£2 over minimum wage? Not really, no. But it pays the bills.
Are you glad you chose it as a career?
I've never chosen it as a 'career'. I only started the job to get the money to go to uni, but decided to never actually go; one day i'll go back to my other plans but for now it's a stable job and thats fair enough in this current climate. Plus, with any luck, I should be 'promoted' fairly soon.
What would you do instead?
Up until I decided not to go to Uni I was going to be a cartographer. Still have an interest, but I lost the chance to do it now methinks. Ideally, a job combining statistics and geography would suit me fine...am still trying to find something like it.

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Sun May 06, 2012 5:56 pm

crusto wrote:For a living?
I make online gambling games (slots/table games etc). Previously used to make CD-Roms before the internet took over.
crusto wrote:Do you enjoy it?
Yes, for the most part. Don't enjoy porting the games between the different clients, or fixing bugs, particularly in other peoples code, but we have a pool table/Xbox etc in the office, and I actually like the people I work with. Worked on some quite big projects, with some good clients/licenses etc, and have a load more headed our way in the near future too.
crusto wrote:Is the money any good?
I think it is good - though what counts as good? Or is that an entirely new thread?
crusto wrote:Are you glad you chose it as a career?
Yes - though I was a bit vague with my choices throughout, just knowing I liked computers, graphics and stuff like that... And each time things have come up, I've procrastinated too much to get on to the "real" gaming bandwagon - e.g. Flash games at the start, mobile gaming etc - all been done now!
crusto wrote:What would you do instead?
If money were no object, I think I'd work in a zoo. But in an animal house or something ,not dealing with members of the public. Closer to my skills, I'd say I'd like to get into mobile and "proper" games - smaller retro games though, not full-on console games etc.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sun May 06, 2012 6:07 pm

crusto wrote:For a living?
Tyre fitting and some higher level suspension work. Not really a mechanic as such but not a tyre monkey either.
crusto wrote:Do you enjoy it?
No, not really. Pretty stress free but I really hate modern cars. Especially german cars. Over engineered but under developed.
crusto wrote:Is the money any good?
No it's terribile. I work very long hours and basically live in my overdraft.
crusto wrote:Are you glad you chose it as a career?
I didn't choose it and it's not a career; just a job. Money sucks, hours are absurd (basically 60hrs a week) with no formal breaks or dinner time.
crusto wrote:What would you do instead?
Dunno. Anything pratical that involves being outdoors and working with hand tools. I quite fancy shifting over into the building oir fabrication trade. I'm bored of working loads of hours and still being skint the whole time.

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Sun May 06, 2012 6:25 pm

For a living?
University fundraiser
Do you enjoy it?
Generally, no, but that's more to do with the nature of the institution than the profession (post-graduate cohort + business school = very difficult, plus the usual uni bureaucracy). The buzz you get from meeting a rich and successful alumnus and encouraging them to make a donation is great.
Is the money any good?
It's a cross between public sector and third sector; so in other words, no.
I didn't exactly choose it. I intended to do a PhD but didn't have the funding, so after my masters I planned to get a job for a few years, save the money and go back to uni. This coincided with the start of the recession so I took the first job I got offered. Four years later and I'm still there!
Aside from the PhD, I always fancied working in the civil service but I'm not sure I could hack working in London now. Something that involved writing would be nice.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun May 06, 2012 6:37 pm

This thread is starting to sound a little like a list of broken dreams D:

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Sun May 06, 2012 7:12 pm

Get a few years under your belt...
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Sun May 06, 2012 7:38 pm

Rayne wrote:This thread is starting to sound a little like a list of broken dreams D:
Haha, I was thinking the same thing.

The general pattern emerging is that most people have not 'chosen' their line of work, having taken their jobs to tidy them over whilst they worked out how to achieve what they really wanted, only to then find themselves in a situation of comfort/convenience/doldrums from which there is no escape!

It also shows that you can't really tell anything about a person from what job they do. I find it funny when I get asked at social gatherings, "So, what do you do?" - as if me telling them what I do for a living gives them any clue about my personality! So, when I get asked this at weddings, birthdays and what not, I usually say something like "I draw symmetrical patterns in the condensation that builds on the shower door", or "I write warnings inside copies of Gideon's bibles whenever I stay in hotels". So much better than just saying "I do x for a living" and have them reply "Ah, right, cool".
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Sun May 06, 2012 8:07 pm

CIH wrote:No, not really. Pretty stress free but I really hate modern cars. Especially german cars. Over engineered but under developed.
Something tells me you've dealt with your fair share of seized Audi top suspension arm bolts :lol:
CIH wrote:I didn't choose it and it's not a career; just a job. Money sucks, hours are absurd (basically 60hrs a week) with no formal breaks or dinner time.
Sounds like Kwik Fit..

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sun May 06, 2012 10:34 pm

crusto wrote:For a living? Do you enjoy it? Is the money any good? Are you glad you chose it as a career? What would you do instead?
For a living?

I'm currently unemployed but I get by on doing temp office jobs and part time voluntary work for Action For Blind People/RNIB. Previously I worked in admin for Sencia Training (one of the Government's 'back to work' schemes) and before that I was the Technical Services Administrator/Pallet Control Administrator at DHL's Bicester site for years while I was living down in Oxfordshire with my now ex wife.

Is the money any good?

Dole money's crap but temp money's decent when it comes in. My pay's never been great even when I'm in full time work but as long as my bills/living expenses are covered and I've got a bit left over to blow on games, then I'm happy. :)

Do you enjoy it?

Asides from the 'not getting paid' bit, I really enjoy volunteering as it's keeping me in a regular routine and teaching me the odd new skill. I hated working at Sencia in all honesty for a number of reasons, I really wasn't that upset when I was made redundant. I did really enjoy working at DHL despite them having me do 2 jobs for the price of 1 (a member of staff left and her role was merged with mine), I was working with a cracking bunch of people and had a couple of really good mates in the office who I used to go the cinema with every other weekend...the job itself sucked and I was often overworked and dragged in at stupid times (ie to show execs round the warehouse early hours Saturday morning after working a late shift the day before....literally only had time to go home, eat, sleep and then straight back out again. :roll: ) but the team spirit there was excellent.

I didn't really choose it as a career, I pretty much just stumbled into it. I dropped out of school before taking my A Levels (after failing my mock A Levels pretty miserably, and getting into a bit of trouble with teachers) but threw myself into a business admin course (through which I got my first full time job), and then programming courses to keep myself busy inbetween jobs, so office/IT work is all I've ever really done. My genetic condition/borked eyesight prevents me from doing certain jobs anyway....I'll never be able to drive for instance, and I can't do manual labour either.

I'd like to be a writer or a magazine journo (not neccessarily games), maybe write a novel but I think my writing's inconsistent....I'll either write something very good or a whole page of crap (as people have probably seen in my posts at times :lol: ). It was the first thing I tried to get into after leaving school but without me having a portfolio of work to back me up (I applied for a couple of Journalism NVQ courses, I got knocked back on the basis of not having been involved with my school's magazine or done any other kind of writing before) so I got a bit disheartned and went down the admin route rather than be stuck on the dole.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Mon May 07, 2012 9:31 am

SexyWayne wrote:
CIH wrote:No, not really. Pretty stress free but I really hate modern cars. Especially german cars. Over engineered but under developed.
Something tells me you've dealt with your fair share of seized Audi top suspension arm bolts :lol:
CIH wrote:I didn't choose it and it's not a career; just a job. Money sucks, hours are absurd (basically 60hrs a week) with no formal breaks or dinner time.
Sounds like Kwik Fit..
Not just Audi. BMW, some Porsche, some Vauxhall (Opel) and most Mercedes give me the ar$ehole
I have done a couple of stints at kwik-fit. Jobs not so bad, except for the money, and met some cool guys. This job was meant to be the "something better"....

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue May 08, 2012 5:29 am

For a living?
I do two different roles at work. I work for an engineering consultancy company (mainly electrical engineering and instrumentation & control automation work). I do most of the AutoCAD drawings and I'm also the IT person.

Do you enjoy it?
It's okay. Having the two parts gives me some variety, so it doesn't get too boring doing the same thing every day.

Is the money any good?
For me it's okay. About average I think.

Sort of. I wanted to work with computers when it all took off in the '80s (you know, when computers were fun), but then Microsoft ruined it all. I suppose if they didn't cause so many problems I wouldn't be as busy.

The AutoCAD part was just something I liked at college (I liked art and computers, so it seemed a good idea to draw things on a computer). When I started my first job doing IT support and programming (which is where I am again now), they used AutoCAD, so I started doing that when needed. I have left a few times to do other IT things (Applications Support on a Mainframe and PC based Client/Server system, and also supporting a VAX mini-computer system), but was made redundant twice, so came back here.

No idea, but computers would probably be involved quite a lot.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Tue May 08, 2012 3:18 pm

yes a list of broken dreams, but doesn't everybody hate their job?

even with a lot of things that are considered creative/interesting, you still have some gobs*ite greasy pole climbing a*sehole telling you how to do it better.

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue May 08, 2012 3:28 pm

HEAVYface wrote:yes a list of broken dreams, but doesn't everybody hate their job?

even with a lot of things that are considered creative/interesting, you still have some gobs*ite greasy pole climbing a*sehole telling you how to do it better.
I love my job, sorry! :oops: