Need an ISP recomendation (with W98 support)

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

junkmale

Need an ISP recomendation (with W98 support)

Post by junkmale » Thu May 03, 2012 5:38 pm

To cut a very long story short...after many years of faithful service it looks like my Modem has finally given up the ghost :-( Regular connection crashes etc etc.
Anyway...i've been with AOL ever since i first connected to the internet and a call to them today has caused a bit of a problem.
I use Windows 98 (SE). It does what i want it to do and i've never seen the need to change. I have XP on a laptop but rarely use it.
AOL now tell me that the new Modems they supply do not support W98 and as a company they no longer offer subs for W98 users.
I've had a quick look at some other ISP's and can't find any that offer support for W98?
Help anyone?

Antiriad2097

Re: Need an ISP recomendation (with W98 support)

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri May 04, 2012 1:49 am

Assuming you're getting a broadband router rather than a modem, they all work with Win98.

The ISP just won't support any problems you have with a Win98 PC, so if you ever need a line test etc you use the XP PC for that (or telll them its a later version of Windows).

As long as your PC has an appropriate type of connection it will work just fine. If you're using a wired connection at the mo odds are you won't need to change anything. The router handles all the internet connection stuff, your PC just has to get on the network.

I ran a Win98 PC on BT Broadband for years after they stopped 'supporting' it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

junkmale

Post by junkmale » Fri May 04, 2012 8:12 pm

Thanks A.

I thought that too.
The new broadband router arrived from AOL this morning and when i plugged it in Windows asked me for the location of the drivers for it? Pointed it towards the drivers for the old router and then inserted the disc that came with the router which didn't contain the drivers?
I borrowed my brothers router and same thing?
Phoned AOL and got someone in Mumbai? Complete waste of time.
I think that's the problem they were trying to explain to me although i can't figure out why the drivers that are already installed for the old router or the later version drivers on the installation disc fail to work with W98?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ReplayRetro

Post by ReplayRetro » Sat May 05, 2012 2:56 am

you'll only need the drivers to configure the router, so id suggest doing that on your XP machine, then once that's all set up and working run an Ethernet cable from the router to your 98 machine and it should work fine
i don't blame you for sticking with 98SE it was a fantastic OS and far superior to XP in terms of flexibility and simplicity, i never really got on with XP when i eventually gave up and moved to it, but i find Windows 7 to be brilliant
Visit www.youtube.com/replayretro . why? well erm, cos it would be awfully friendly of you to take a look i guess, you don't have to though, nobody will make you *sob sob*

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat May 05, 2012 5:15 am

You shouldn't need drivers at all.

At most, you'd have to tinker with the network settings in Win98 to configure the IP address etc if its not auto detecting it from the router.

The router itself doesn't need anything from a PC to work, it just plugs in and away you go.

Ignore the driver discs, they're redundant. For some reason ISPs give you these things to fill your PC with junk you don't need. You already have antivirus etc.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

junkmale

Post by junkmale » Sat May 05, 2012 8:09 pm

Thanks Guys but still no joy i'm afraid :(
I've been faffing about with it for hours now and it's almost reached the point when i'm ready to turf the whole PC out the window.
No idea why it won't work?
I'll be able to use it with my XP laptop for now but it's not ideal.
Have to make do for now.
I've sent emails to Microsoft, AOL and the Router makers so you never know what they may come up with?
Watch this space.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun May 06, 2012 3:36 am

If you really want to install the AOL gubbins, did you try this?
http://help.aol.com/help/microsites/mic ... 3488#third

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Sun May 06, 2012 6:34 am

Sounds to me like Junkmale is using a USB connection to the modem/router?? try using a ethernet connection

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Fri May 11, 2012 7:59 am

SexyWayne wrote:Sounds to me like Junkmale is using a USB connection to the modem/router?? try using a ethernet connection
Exactly what I was thinking. The Win98 machine shouldn't be asking for a driver, unless you were trying to connect it with a USB cable. You need to connect it to the PC with Ethernet.

junkmale

Post by junkmale » Fri May 11, 2012 9:27 pm

Thanks again folks.
Still no luck :(
I am using an ethernet cable but my PC still is refusing to accept the router.
I don't actually have the AOL software installed. It's hopeless and i only use AOL for email. I use Google Chrome as a web browser. AOL 9.1 isn't/shouldn't be necessary for W98 to recognise the router anyway.
Still getting the same old 'Windows has found new hardware...etc etc'. then the insert disc prompt.
I'm using my XP laptop now to go online but it's a bit of a nuisance. If i need to transfer anything i've to save it on a USB key etc.

fujiHunter

Post by fujiHunter » Fri May 11, 2012 10:45 pm

ReplayRetro wrote:you'll only need the drivers to configure the router, so id suggest doing that on your XP machine, then once that's all set up and working run an Ethernet cable from the router to your 98 machine and it should work fine
Yes. Do this!

I currently still use Win98 (SE) on my main PC. MY ISP is Orange, my connection to the router is wireless. The router was set up and configured using a Win XP machine. Once you confirm that this machine can use the router and surf the net you then just have to tinker with your Win98 settings to piggyback onto the network. This took a little work in my case however due to the wireless connection and the lack of drivers supporting Win98. In the end a tech savvy friend sorted it out. Anyway, once the wireless connection was working it *paired* with the router no problem and was off and running. The problem I had therefore was independent of the router and ISP.

Dumb question maybe, but are you putting your router into 'pairing mode' when first trying to join the network?

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Sat May 12, 2012 11:05 am

I'm just curious as to why you guys are still using Win 98 as an OS? Other than as an old PC to play DOS based games I see no use. Win 9x was always unstable and is limited to what new technology can be supported by it.

Other than hardware requirements, I can't see why you don't now move to Win XP.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sat May 12, 2012 11:53 am

XP is ancient now too, might as well use 98SE.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat May 12, 2012 12:34 pm

MattyC64c wrote:Other than hardware requirements
There you go. I have systems that run like a dog on XP that are blisteringly fast with 98.

It makes a 'usable' PC into an exceptional one. 98SE is a great OS as long as you don't need support for new hardware/software.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sat May 12, 2012 12:54 pm

Is there even browser support for say HTML5 and Win98SE?
Logged out 15/07/2014.