Cover Ddesign Number two
16%
Cover Design Number three
33%

Total votes: 49

flicky

Re: Coin-Op : The Arcade Guide

Post by flicky » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:51 pm

This looks great, and as a collector of books on videogames, pricing looks pretty much in line with other books of this size/quality .. so I will be getting one :)

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:58 am

Any update on release of have I missed the boat big style with this?

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:08 am

Can't believe I missed this topic earlier, this looks fantastic :D

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:14 am

psj3809 wrote:20-25 quid per book is fine. This is an indie project, not some huge 10000 book print run with a main publisher backing it. You try getting a similar sized book printed in fill colour, it costs a fair bit.
Yes, that's a fair price for a small print run. If the post costs can be kept to a minimum for overseas punters that'd be awesome

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:11 pm

Cheers guys for the great interest, it has been along journey and I Can tell you all its 99.9% finished, as originally it was to be a5 size, but now is been done in A4 full colour back to back for your enjoyment and I will be going about getting a website setup either near Xmas or after to allow pre-order to contribute towards printing costs along with my backing to have it realised, I have no idea what the cost will be or p&p on it, until I receive my proof from the chosen printer for weight and stuff.

But I really have to say I love this book and the games are simply Devine in the way presentation has been done and think it will look beautiful sitting on anyone's coffee table along side that other book in production Artcade, see the Artcade thread for details if you have missed it.

The project is still here and beating hard, just with all my other work, its been a very slow process, but its nearing its run :)

Will keep you all up to date as things get near.

Tx.
↓↓Click Link to See More
http://www.greyfoxbooks.com

stvd

Post by stvd » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:19 pm

The owner of the artcade book project was quizzed on (and answered) issues about possible copyright infringement.
Have you went through this process also?

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:38 pm

stvd wrote:The owner of the artcade book project was quizzed on (and answered) issues about possible copyright infringement.
Given that book uses all original artwork and publicity flyers he doesn't need to.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:02 am

The Laird wrote:
stvd wrote:The owner of the artcade book project was quizzed on (and answered) issues about possible copyright infringement.
Given that book uses all original artwork and publicity flyers he doesn't need to.
Forgive me, I'm going to ask some questions which aren't trying to stump you but would no double benefit me and others whom are thinking of writing (another in my case) a book/magazine.

As you say that the book uses all original art work, does that mean the in game screenshots are mock ups (sounds silly) or from old promos, or are these just grabbed from mame? If grabbed from mame surely some of these images are still subject to some form of copyright from their respective owner and permission would have to be granted? I guess this would become more of an issue if you were printing 1000 or so copies, but still something i'm curious of.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:45 am

There is no copyright on screenshots you have captured yourself, hence why they are all over the internet and print magazines.

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:11 am

Firstly I doubt I'll make it to the 1,000 book sales :shock: , but I have contacted an IP solicitor and as long as the book is not been marketed as a solely book on of one specific company e.g. Sega or Namco or whom ever and is acknowledged firstly outright and on each presented piece contain therein and the book not be based on bias opinions against one or more companies within the book or belittling or damaging in anyway ,but as a reference to these arcade games from my perspective which do not represent those on any companies mentioned or listed in the book, plus a few other guides lines, I've forgotten to mention here! I can make it.

This book is based on these games from my personal view of them which allows me to elaborate and actually promote these arcade companies and there products, I have not changed or removed anything to the games to be seen in a different view, opinion or perspective other than the way they where intended to be seen, also I might add I have extra content written by myself covering many pages other the games which is original created for the book by me for you. Have to keep it fresh. The screenshots within the book, where taken by me and remastered up scaled for very high resolution for the book and allot of them are not available on the Internet due to bad or low unusable resolutions. So everything has been cared for with the producing of the book.
↓↓Click Link to See More

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:29 am

Could I also ask if you use any emulators and have games you don't own? ;)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:20 pm

Thought I'd give this a Bump, as looking forward to it and hopefully out in the next few months... :wink:

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:05 am

kiwimike wrote:Thought I'd give this a Bump, as looking forward to it and hopefully out in the next few months... :wink:

Hey thanks for the bump, I was meaning to address this at some stage, the book is actually finished now, other than a nick here and nack there, I've put in on the back burner because of other projects I've been devoloping and hope to reveal in the near future :) , plus doing the Atari gamer magazine and promotion for it has taken up a considering amount of time, but there are issues with the release and publication of the Coin-Op book, firstly is money, although I had some amazing quotes regarding the printing costs of it, logistics off post and packaging and all the other wonderful things I had planned for it, website, possible t-shirts, music cd's and advertisements etc..to deliver it to you guys, have made it a very high risk investment with little or no insight to the reality of it making its goals to justify the cost to begin with, so I need to reevaluate all of these things again along with all the other projects I'm working on to help offset and possible make it a reality to have it physically in my hands aswell as others and get it out there

I'm not saying it will never be, I'm saying I just don't know went. Also to mention I do not want to go down any kickstarter root to raise the funds needed to produce this book as I feel there is too much work and effort regarding perks, release dates and meeting people's expectations and any other hidden pitfall attached with doing fund raisers and feel I would have to nearly double the content to justify the fund raising on it, as the book has taken months so far to create and wouldn't have the time do all that, not saying the book is short has like over 500 screenshots in their actuall pixel ratio which is very sweet to look at and other great stuff I've yet seen in an arcade book.

But again thanks for the interest, its still here, just have to try and see what happens, if I win the lotto, you'll all be guaranteed to be notified that's its in production :)

Cheers .
↓↓Click Link to See More

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:51 am

Do you need to do all those things on Kickstarter?

Can't you just do one that says 'This is the book, its this size and has x number of pages and is full colour on y type of paper, this is how much I need to print and post 1000 copies'?

Most of the 'perks' on Kickstarter seem wholly unnecessary to me, just send me the thing. Add a perk for overseas postage if needed, that's about it.

If you did that once it was complete justto handle printing and postage, doesn't seem too hard and there'd be no risk of being out of pocket.

Not athat I'm biased and just want to read it asap ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:41 am

Same here ! I would love to get this book now, quite happy to pay a high price for a digital version of it to read. Perhaps offer it digital only and use the funds from that to then put towards the print cost (which i would also want !)

Quite happy to give £10-15 quid for a digital version alone. Get a few digital copies out there, get people raving about it and create a bit more hoopla for it etc ?