PLAY EXPO (formerly Replay), 13-14 October 2012, Manchester

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Raggyt

Re: PLAY EXPO (formerly Replay), 13-14 October 2012, Manches

Post by Raggyt » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:52 pm

Had a great time at the Play Expo in Manchester. I was lucky enough to make both days.

Highlight had to be my Sensible Soccer tournament win on the Saturday. Very suprised, because I usually lost to everyone years ago.
I thought my good fortune would fair me better on Micro Machines & Pong, but i was knocked out first round on both.

I didn't really venture into the pro or now play areas much, but there did seem to be a lot of excitement and shouting going on at times.

Hats off to all cos-players. They helped create a great atmosphere.

Fingers crossed I can get there next year.
Go to the pub. Play pool, darts & dominoes. No thanks. If they had video games down my local i'd be there. They don't. Gaming is everything to me. The older the better.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:25 pm

My first event and very good it was.. It was good to meet some people and put faces to the names had some good chats with Dam, DSTE and Tepidsnake also played quite a few games with Dam.. Finally got to met Twoheadedboy, Helen and Sccott, unfortunately it was very loud so me and Ryan had a job to hear one another.. Would have likes to have met Rinoa, Toxiedogg, Ferglecarp and Hawk also as DSTE said was wondering who RTgirl was.. Spend a lot of my time on Wonderboy and in the other arcades shame the heavy kick buttons on Killer Instinct didn't work either side did 1cc it with Orchid and get my name in.. Lot of Machine hogging of the Arcades and partially the Pinball Tables.. Could have really done with more time and less noise to get to talk to everybody..

Also a fair few Pinball Tables and Cabs seemed to break as the day went on, also I think having it dark was much better the lights didn't really work
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:32 pm

Just wondering was Toxiedogg there this year saw the name Toxie on Ghosts and Goblins scoretable, and he's one of the few people I know what he looks like... Wass told he was about but didn't see him..
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:39 pm

Rinoa was hanging around with me most of the time, I missed a few people I wanted to meet somehow. Would like to have met Toxie for sure.
Last edited by The Laird on Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:40 pm

Was so vast though and easy to lose people
Last edited by The Laird on Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:48 pm

SirClive wrote:
RMLF wrote:- Fears about it not being about all the retro and being lost in the revamp were realised, because it felt like an afterthought. No idea about comps or anything else either, not well publicised, PA or not, again ties in with the snotted out plan above.. Here is Retro Zone.. Oh okay then :/
I know everyone is entitled to an opinion and it is good to hear what people didn't like as it allows us to address things for the future. However, the point above is the one that hurts the most and is the most difficult to fathom. The retro zone was bigger than the entire venue in Blackpool and contained double the systems. It was the first thing you saw when you walked into the place and the heart of the show. Whilst I accept the criticism of the PA (which we will cover in a separate post), I wholeheartedly disagree with rest of the comments.
I'm sorry that your view of your event and mine don't tie in. Ive mentioned the history of gaming which was a great idea but lost because it had no sign posting despite being in a prominent position. I've mentioned the idea for short guides for players how to change the games on machines especially the likes of the MSX iirc which had plenty of Jap carts and left people baffled and bewildered. Picked up carts no idea what to do and walked away.

I've mentioned things being bannered or at least some indication of what is where. Double and bigger doesnt mean is better if it's just put out to play, without any publicised idea where what is. The football zone was a neat idea, but was it marked as such, no. lil things big difference.

Yes its great playing pinballs and old stuff and is one of the only places you get to do that with any regularity, Im trying to get the bigger picture rather than look at the little things. If that hurts then it hurts, Im sorry for having a voice and deigning to air an opinion

WIll people please give the Blackpool thing a rest. AGAIN IT WAS THAT IT WASNT IN A SEASIDE PLACE THAT WAS THE MAIN ISSUE. I dont know how much more I could mention it.

Finally, of course you are going to disagree with what I say, it was your event, of course it will come off as everything cutting like a knife. It's your baby. So is bound to be upsetting when people dont share your vision

Well start your own event will be the cry. I tried, sorted or at least scouted out venues and bands for a much smaller scale thing, didnt quite work out as people dropped out. It happens.
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:04 pm

But RMLF, you missed Sirclive's point - The Retro section was HUGE! Tagged on? Eh? It was far more accessible than previous big events and at times was fecking busy!

You make some good and valid points though - and like Sirclive wanting to defend his 'baby' you valiantly protect your opinions!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Merlin

Post by Merlin » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:08 am

r0jaws wrote:
DPrinny wrote:....Lack of cups in the staff room

Thats bad
Quoted for double truth. I had to rinse out abandoned plastic beer mugs to make coffee. The humanity! :)
Next year I shall bring my own mug, and it shall be huge, and insulated, and bear my name so none shall pinch it.
+ eleventy

The soothsayer speaketh ye sooth... I washed loads of cups out in several stints over the weekend and at AmiBay/Tech Shack we ended up holding onto three cups just so we had some, and I didn't think we were alone. Coffee and plastic cups is not a good combination.

Heavy Stylus

Post by Heavy Stylus » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:33 am

I'd just like to say thanks to Gordon and the rest of the Replay gang for all their help this year, and also to anyone who stopped by the RGCD and OSG homebrew/indie stands in the Re.play area.

Only issue we had was with regard to power - we were supplied with a power supply that was never turned on over the weekend (faulty?), and ended up running the RGCD, OSG and Llamasoft stands all from one normal wall socket! The four-way adapter that was plugged in at the wall (connected to about 30 machines) got super-hot but luckily didn't catch fire. :)

Looking forward to the next one!

J/HS
http://www.rgcd.co.uk
8-128 Bit & beyond: Indie game development news for vintage & modern computer hardware.

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:46 am

RMLF wrote:Probably us lot :roll: may as well cop the blame for everything
Nah. Can't have been. They seemed to be enjoying themselves.

*Runs away cackling*

shmuk

Post by shmuk » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:50 am

Seems like it was fun, wish I could have went =(
- Shmuk Lidooha

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:54 am

DPrinny wrote:No 3DO
There was a 3DO on the Amibay table, right next to my CPC 6128
MikeFishcake wrote:... closely followed by the marvellously surreal "fruitcade" in the Video Game Carnival. If you didn't have a go on that you really missed out :D
That was awesome, but strange to play PacMan on. I thoroughly enjoyed the fruitcade though.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:46 am

I will get around to writing my views on the event - when I get a few mins spare!

But I'd jut like to say sorry for my inability to understand/hear the forum members that I spoke to over the weekend! My hearing is not very good - and I do wear hearing aids... but they still don't quite fill in all the gaps in my hearing range. So, If I spoke to you and seemed like a twot by saying 'eh?' 'pardon' 'What?' or completely getting the conversation wrong - well, sorry! :oops:
As for those that come from areas with heavy accents - bad hearing is partly to blame for me not really understanding anything you said to me :lol: (TwoHeadedBoy - I really did try and pick up what you said to me but lost nearly every time :lol: :oops: Just don't want anyone to think I am rude!

Marko

Eh?
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:29 pm

I could say plenty about the show but will leave that to others as they probably have a more balanced view. Suffice to say it was unforgettable for many reasons! ;)

Instead I'm going to give a few shout-outs to people that went beyond the call of duty (no, I don't mean into the food area! :lol:) to help make the event a success...

mohicankid - an absolute machine over the last 7 days, don't know how you do it but without you the show simply wouldn't go on!
Helensification - great work organising the volunteers before and throughout the weekend
boggyb68, zetr0, Joey - all did their part to ensure the event ran as smoothly as it could - top work!
jdandiet, pforson, vp002 and TwoHeadedBoy - simply outstanding volunteers that worked as hard as anyone to get the show up and running on an epic Friday that lasted around 17 hours, then followed up by more hard work over the weekend, way beyond anything that could reasonably be asked of them.
markopoloman, Mike, Milton and Roy - again, a crew of volunteers that did much more than they should have with barely a complaint.

There are probably others that I've missed but these were the standouts. I suppose I should also mention SirClive, AndyB and Dave, the only difference being that they didn't go beyond the call of duty since this was their baby! ;) All the same, the amount of work put in by these chaps resulted in a show that I don't think anyone thought possible even 12 months ago. Well done! :D

And finally, even though she won't read it, I have to applaud my beloved Anna (AKA The Gaming Widow) for once again supporting me before, during and after the show and maintaning a smile on the Info booth in the face of uncountable angry punters on Saturday morning/afternoon (depending what time they got in!)
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:15 pm

markopoloman wrote:TwoHeadedBoy - I really did try and pick up what you said to me but lost nearly every time
LOL glad it wasn't just me, sorry Ryan mate, I struggled to pick what you were saying and I have perfect hearing!
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords