PLAY EXPO (formerly Replay), 13-14 October 2012, Manchester

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

StarshipUK

Re: PLAY EXPO (formerly Replay), 13-14 October 2012, Manches

Post by StarshipUK » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:19 am

SimonH wrote:
sscott wrote:
We are screaming out for a 2/300 member event with a close bar and 30/40 systems - this is not what Play was about but so many members are asking for it, this should be a collective effort and I'm sure it will happen next year.

Thanks again!
Shaun :D
If that sort of scale is your thing then you do need to check out the regular Retro Computer Museum weekend events - Usually up to 60 systems, nothing newer than a Gamecube (maybe a PS2 if we have to) but sadly our available venues - those places with enough space and low enough fees - do not usually include a bar (but a café is included so food and caffeine are available :D ).

The next event is in the planning stages, but dates will be around the Easter bank-holiday weekend in 2013 and are likely to include both the Friday and Monday to allow you to mix your need for retro with any family events. The location will be Snibston Discovery Museum in Leicestershire so you could bring the family, they can go and to the whole Snibston thing and you can hide in the gaming area.

Watch our website or facebook page for more details and of course we will announce on here once details are confirmed.
I think people are looking for a event to get away from the family, which has a bar, stays open late rather than closing at 5:30/6:00 and not in the middle of nowhere (easy to get to by those travelling by train) with no nightlife.

I also like to see a bit of modern at these events, even some PCs with homebrew - its not all about retro for me. It just makes a nice balance.

Sounds like there will be a few events like this next year, even though it is now likely that all Retrovision events are cancelled next year.
I'm gonna burn your house down. With a lemon.

rtrgrl78

Post by rtrgrl78 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:37 am

RetroBob wrote:One word to describe pro gamers... morons - but at least they were out of the way of the retro, I'm guessing that was intentional ;-)
I got that too especially from the Call of Duty gamers, a young lad was just sat there shouting and cursing to a guy opposite him, proper losing it was actually quite embarrassing. Although, had a go on the 'Halo 4' with their crew and totally different, more like a queue up with everyone else and have a go, really enjoyed this.
RetroBob wrote: Overall, a great show, well done to all those involved with organizing, volunteering, exhibiting etc.
Same here, really enjoyed this one and it was my first event, only went for the one day on the Sunday, but next year am going to try and definitely go to the Saturday and Sunday days. Really hope this returns to Manchester, had such a fab time.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:53 am

StarshipUK wrote: Sounds like there will be a few events like this next year, even though it is now likely that all Retrovision events are cancelled next year.
They definately aren't!!!!!

No idea what gave you this idea :?

Gonad

Post by Gonad » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:44 am

rtrgrl78 wrote:
RetroBob wrote:I got that too especially from the Call of Duty gamers, a young lad was just sat there shouting and cursing to a guy opposite him, proper losing it was actually quite embarrassing.
There was one guy who was shouting and screaming obscenities at both his own team, and the opposition. "You f***** r******, You are f****** s****, f**** you c*****, come on you useless b******, what the f**** are you f***** doing?" - I thought he was going to rupture something, he was getting so uptight. To the credit of the opposing team, they were just responding with "We'll see the stats at the end" and not rising to it.

At the end of the match, shoutey boys team got thrashed 5 - 0 (it was a capture the flag thing). I thought he was going to explode with rage, but then they all just shook hands with each other across the table, smiling. It was like some sort of WWF theatrical bravado intimidation thing was going on, as part and parcel of the game.

To be fair though, he'll probably be more intimidating once his b**** drop.
ImageImage

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:00 am

Dont like people that take games to seriously
Same with those that always pick one character in a fighting game when for me I go random select.

Makes it "Fun" you know

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:35 am

Gonad wrote:
rtrgrl78 wrote:
RetroBob wrote:I got that too especially from the Call of Duty gamers, a young lad was just sat there shouting and cursing to a guy opposite him, proper losing it was actually quite embarrassing.
There was one guy who was shouting and screaming obscenities at both his own team, and the opposition. "You f***** r******, You are f****** s****, f**** you c*****, come on you useless b******, what the f**** are you f***** doing?" - I thought he was going to rupture something, he was getting so uptight. To the credit of the opposing team, they were just responding with "We'll see the stats at the end" and not rising to it.

At the end of the match, shoutey boys team got thrashed 5 - 0 (it was a capture the flag thing). I thought he was going to explode with rage, but then they all just shook hands with each other across the table, smiling. It was like some sort of WWF theatrical bravado intimidation thing was going on, as part and parcel of the game.

To be fair though, he'll probably be more intimidating once his b**** drop.
When queueing for a burger, I was stood in front of two guys who were swearing like there was no tomorrow - using "f***in" literally several times a sentence... throwing it in there like most people use pauses or say "er" or "erm". Not in an aggressive way; it was just casual swearing with every breath.

Along the lines of "You know I'm playing the game and it's f***in... f***in... you know what I mean?". I was gobsmacked. Not particularly offended because Fishcake Jnr had gone to sit down at a table and there were no other kids in earshot, but I genuinely wonder what's going on in peoples' heads when they feel they have to use the F word several times a sentence. And that genuinely isn't an exaggeration. Lots of different topics, general everyday chat, nothing out of the ordinary but just littered with swear words in places where words aren't even needed.

Wasn't any of you lot was it?

:twisted:

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:04 pm

Next time carry a "Bleep box".

Or a cowbell

Yes a cowbell

subzero

Post by subzero » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:43 pm

Gonad wrote:It was like some sort of WWF theatrical bravado intimidation thing was going on, as part and parcel of the game.

really? i didnt know panda huggers did theatrics!!!! ;)

sorry gonad, these days its referred to (and has been for quite some time) WWE

StarshipUK

Post by StarshipUK » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:17 pm

The Laird wrote:
StarshipUK wrote: Sounds like there will be a few events like this next year, even though it is now likely that all Retrovision events are cancelled next year.
They definately aren't!!!!!

No idea what gave you this idea :?
You might want to PM Markie.
I'm gonna burn your house down. With a lemon.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:18 pm

Don't need to, spoke with him loads recently.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:20 pm

I was in the queue for the Metal Gear Solid game on the Sunday and some kid was a couple of places behind me, obviously way younger than 18, one of the guys looking after the stand asked if he was with any of us, to which we replied no, he was telling the kid it was for 18s and over only and he couldn't really come in but the kid just said he wanted a poster, so the guy pondered for a bit and said he'd see what he could do and off he goes into the stand. The kids dad, I'm assuming it was his dad anyway, then comes over and enquires if the guy was giving his son any grief, to which his son replied that he was just asking for a poster, the dad then says something along the lines of "if he is giving you grief we'll rip his legs off, shove them down his throat and ride him round this hall like a scooter", anyway the guy in charge of the stand comes back out and gives the kid a poster, thus sparing himself being converted transformers like into a vehicle. It's a strange world.
Splink!

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:26 pm

EDIT:Ah the rant after 13 hours of work, you know what read and reply if you want I don't actually care any more
psj3809 wrote:
RMLF wrote:So turncoat/traitor boy was present on Saturday,.

I got a free ticket and free travel, which isnt the thing to say no too so ended up going.
I would have bet my house you would have had a lot of negatives ! You may have some valid points but due to your past comments its difficult to take them seriously.
I dont bet, but thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt. Oh!
psj3809 wrote: My wife goes to the Trafford Centre a lot ! Shes come back a few times and said 'that silly retro show youre going to was advertised at the centre....'. Seeing how many people came to the show i dont think advertising was a huge issue.
I see so nothing that I could see in the Trafford Centre nor outside of the event, matters? That's okay because people are there already or your wife saw some stuff in one place makes it fine? Satisfied with hotchpotch and not maximising it's potential especially when it's event day's doesnt really give it credence to it was really the bestest. The replay part of replay was very quiet all day Saturday. The Pro stuff much more busy. It felt tacked on it's my view point, cest la vie
psj3809 wrote: Personally dont think you needed a site plan, its obvious where everything was, part of the fun for me is wandering around looking at the various machines/stalls.
Yes, personally! Personally I dont agree with that statement as shown re not knowing where stuff was or comps or whatever, clearly a highly organised and well oiled machine. or perhaps it wasnt, Oh no he used the he has a different view point opinion again. Cest la vie.
psj3809 wrote: Every year people moan about the cost of food. Yep food at Blackpool was 'so cheap' for a sandwich ! Anyone with sense went to the chippy outside as the prices at the hotel were ridiculous. But its the Trafford Centre, tons of restaurants nearby. Plus come on, we're happy to spend xx amount on some rare game but faint the second a burgers a few quid. I had a burger from BBQ Burger and they were surprisingly good, £4 was alright. Its lucky you did get a free ticket and travel as you might have spontaneously combusted on the spot if you had to pay yourself ;)
Blackpool? I think I may have mentioned about a zillion times, it wasnt all about blackpool and it could have been at a seaside anywhere in the country, clearly however you missed that. Spending tonnes on awful food at the event was where the issue was, if it was quality then kudos, however it was rubbish, deal with it. Manchester has/ had a food festival on, plenty of companies with food carts etc in the area, many of whom dont go mental with prices and stuff better quality, bigger range of dishes.

As for the spontaneous combustion winky smiley or not. Really? So funny I forgot to laugh.
psj3809 wrote: Seriously though any show i've been to the prices are always high, never in a million years was it going to be £2 a pint or £2 a burger, never. Thankfully i went to get a burger about 11.30am before the queues, bit like going to a footy match and leaving just before halftime to get a burger as later there'll be a massive queue.
See above quality first, if it's pricey and nice, then no issue, pricey and a rip off then there are issues. As for getting there for 11.30, before it went crazy lucky you. I was still in the queue outside, like many were. Oh right you didnt mention that. quelle suprise
psj3809 wrote: Ehh ? How many events have you been to ? Not a little sly dig that it should have been in Blackpool as that has tons of nostalgia ? Everyone i know who went to Blackpool said the place was a dump, full of chavs and stag parties and most kept away from the town centre. Huddersfield wasnt known as a retro gaming metropolis, Stoke ? I have great fond memories of that, a great show but the actual place it was held in wasnt the best but i dont care as long as theres tons of retro stuff around. Warehouse/barn/hotel conference centre, I'm personally not bothered.
Ive been to events, there you go, Sorry does it matter how many? Not really. Again. Re read what Ive written, it isnt about Blackpool, but you know why let that get in the way of a misguided rant. So you arent bothered, great. Yippee sorry for wanting a nostalgic hit to go with my gaming, crime against humanity clearly [/quote]
psj3809 wrote: I went to Olympia shows in the 80's which were huge great exhibition halls/warehouses but you didnt care, just had tons of games to play on. If people didnt know how to change games then just ask someone, everyone i spoke to was friendly, you cant expect to have someone on every row of computers ready to help out if someone hasnt figured out how to press a button to change a game.
So events 30 years ago are the basis of what happened at the weekend, with the world and the gaming scene etc changing beyond recognition and stuff. I see, great comparison. clearly . People dont know how retro works, so gave up. hardly the all singing all dancing way you put it. If people know others forumites etc then yay. but not everyone is so 'connected' so they didnt bother. You dont need rows of people to help. Short clear instructions work, but again, you are going for the holier than thou so why let that get in the way?
psj3809 wrote: The dig about people with egos, bit unfair that. A huge show like that will get people moaning about anything, granted queues were massive, they were letdown with the sound system but look at the positives, to get a show like that off the ground was great. I had no interest in the modern stuff and like others have said some of the 'pro' players on CoD and that just seemed quite odd/rude (then again they might think us old retro heads might be the same).
No, it's entirely fair, when people are ignoring what people are on the ground are saying for a laissez faire approach that results in bedlam, then that plus other things mean it's entirely fair. but whatever floats your boat
psj3809 wrote: But come on, some of your digs. Yeah i didnt know where the food was when i first got there, simply asked someone and then hey presto i know where it was. Same for the toilets. Surely people didnt need some master great big map to find out where everything was ?
You and I arent everyone else. And if everyone gushes praise over something that isnt quite right it doesnt get fixed does it? No it gets glossed over. All was needed was a couple of cross road signs and perhaps some over hanging banners to say what was where other than the toilets. It's meant to be a pro event not a mish mash things like exhibitors and areas of attraction could have been highlighted, the history of retro games was completely wasted where it was with no sign posting, ditto the projector games who I didnt even know were there until I left. In an event about maximising interest it really was slapdash and haphazard.
psj3809 wrote: I would prefer a pure 'retro' show on a bit of a smaller scale but the queues for the machines werent bad at all, a fair few friendly people who saw you were waiting and then said 'here have a go' and moved on which were nice of them. And again i like the way retro was at one end which seemed 'seperated' due to the huge displays of the current gen stuff. At Blackpool i struggled to get on the pinball machines. But come on RMLF you were never going to be that positive at all were you !? Due to your past OTT comments about moving from Blackpool i personally find it hard to take your comments seriously as you were never going to have a huge list of positives were you? If someone else has negatives fair enough though.
Again thanks for the none benefit of the doubt already decided what I was going to say stuff and completely and utterly missing my points re moving, quite the spectacular oversight!.

I went with an open mind, reported back what I thought. God forbid someone does that on a forum, lest it be locked and brushed under the carpet, again.
the_hawk wrote: I cannot comment on the event as I wasn't able to attend, so it may well have been every bit as ghastly as you have implied.
However you seemed pretty determined to hate it & find fault form the moment it was announced & it sounds like you've been pretty successful with that.
See above.
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:27 pm

MikeFishcake wrote: Wasn't any of you lot was it?

:twisted:

Probably us lot :roll: may as well cop the blame for everything All hail the Dave Rayne chants as well :D
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

Gonad

Post by Gonad » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:49 pm

subzero wrote:
Gonad wrote:It was like some sort of WWF theatrical bravado intimidation thing was going on, as part and parcel of the game.

really? i didnt know panda huggers did theatrics!!!! ;)

sorry gonad, these days its referred to (and has been for quite some time) WWE
LOL! Well it's still WWF on my PS2 "WWF SmackDown! - Just Bring It" box!

And Starburst are still Opal Fruits, despite what they write on the packet!

:lol:
ImageImage

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:52 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Joey wrote:Shortish, slim, short reddish hair, large tattoo on back of neck. Was wearing a replay events t-shirt and I ran the Halo 2 and History of Tekken comps.

I forgot to bring my RG Forum badge from last year so may have spoke to more members without realising!?
I have just made the connection between Joe at the event and Joey here! Did that bloke get his prize eventually?
Ah another face I now know!

Yes I quickly rustled him up some nice prizes :mrgreen: