Society

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

r0jaws

Re: Society

Post by r0jaws » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:54 am

The Angry Jock wrote:Reinstate national service.
Oh God no!
Sometimes it's hard enough motivating people who want to be in, never-mind a bunch of gobby little losers who don't want to be there, and the only reason they are being forced through the meat grinder is because no one can be @rsed to sort them out.

Whip them with birch twigs instead.

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:16 am

If no one can be a*sed sorting them out who's going to wield the birch twigs?
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

do_sucol

Post by do_sucol » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:02 pm

crusto wrote:Is fucked. Or soon will be.
Phew !
Good job i'm not a member/citizen !(fully paid up sovereign/denizen :? ,but not a citizen ) :?:
The economic and political system isn't broken.
It's doing what it was designed to do - make the rich richer.

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:57 pm

crusto wrote:Is fucked. Or soon will be.
Is fucked already and once the fat basts(Myself included) have to start paying top dollar for a hot Sauasage roll or pasty.Them old dears better keep there handbags gripped even tighter because nowt is stopping me from buying a hot pie at any cost.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:02 pm

crusto wrote:I got talking to a teacher yesterday at our local village hall and we ended up on the subject of todays youth's. According to him, if a day goes by when he ISNT told to censored off then he had a good day! Basically, he is not allowed to say anything to them, unless he wants his wrists slapped by the head master. He got into trouble recently for telling a pupil that he was behaving like a moron! He went on to provide me with a fair bit of insight into the inner workings of the system. The guy is only 30 years old, so its not like hes out of touch either.

I think that if we dont re introduce some serious discipline into our school system we are going to end up with a bunch of no marks dragging our country down the pan. Im not saying that kids should be battered if they do wrong etc etc. But this softly softly approach is a turd if you ask me. Theres nothing wrong with instilling a bit of discipline and structure.

I was working in a certain part of the country last year and the young men there were sporting their prison tags as badges of honour. Honestly, it had to be seen to be believed. And then there's the riots. If the law was tough enough to make people think twice about assaulting police, civillians and looting shops im not so sure they would have taken place at all, or been so bad anyway.

Were doomed :shock:
As a teacher I've got to say that simply isn't true! Saying you are behaving like a moron is fine (if behaviour was moronic), saying you are thick is certainly not. If a kid is being an idiot I will say so! Relationships with pupils is very complex and experience helps you to define the boundaries. Most pupils (regardless of demographic) want to get on. 'twas ever thus!

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:19 am

The Angry Jock wrote:If no one can be a*sed sorting them out who's going to wield the birch twigs?
Ah, that's easy. A self appointed conglomeration of like minded civilians working together for the betterment of the community. :D

crusto

Post by crusto » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:53 am

sscott wrote:
crusto wrote:I got talking to a teacher yesterday at our local village hall and we ended up on the subject of todays youth's. According to him, if a day goes by when he ISNT told to censored off then he had a good day! Basically, he is not allowed to say anything to them, unless he wants his wrists slapped by the head master. He got into trouble recently for telling a pupil that he was behaving like a moron! He went on to provide me with a fair bit of insight into the inner workings of the system. The guy is only 30 years old, so its not like hes out of touch either.

I think that if we dont re introduce some serious discipline into our school system we are going to end up with a bunch of no marks dragging our country down the pan. Im not saying that kids should be battered if they do wrong etc etc. But this softly softly approach is a turd if you ask me. Theres nothing wrong with instilling a bit of discipline and structure.

I was working in a certain part of the country last year and the young men there were sporting their prison tags as badges of honour. Honestly, it had to be seen to be believed. And then there's the riots. If the law was tough enough to make people think twice about assaulting police, civillians and looting shops im not so sure they would have taken place at all, or been so bad anyway.

Were doomed :shock:
As a teacher I've got to say that simply isn't true! Saying you are behaving like a moron is fine (if behaviour was moronic), saying you are thick is certainly not. If a kid is being an idiot I will say so! Relationships with pupils is very complex and experience helps you to define the boundaries. Most pupils (regardless of demographic) want to get on. 'twas ever thus!
But thats exactly what he did say, so it is true! He couldnt believe it either.

Eat your nans pants

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:20 am

RetroRik wrote:
Britains in a mess and won't be improving any time soon.
Speak for yourself, I'm having a great time!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

James A

Post by James A » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:59 am

The last few weeks ive had some factory work to cover my bills. Some of the people there were real eye openers. There was a woman and her son working there, he was a right horrible little chav. Second day there he wanted to know if i was interested in buying an ounce of uncut Cocaine off him as it was a bit hot for him to hold onto as he had beaten up a dealer to get it. Mind he was telling me this infront of his mum. Then he was also telling me about why he was on community service for breaking a guys jaw and cheekbone in a club for looking funny at him. This lads also 19 has two kids and another load of convictions for theft and battering his girlfriend. I asked if he had been sent down and he hadn't. His reply, keep giving my censored community service which i never bother doing, would rather go to prision and hang around with my mates.

You really have got to think that there is no hope for some people.

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:04 pm

greenberet79 wrote:
RetroRik wrote:
I am speaking for myself. Probably for many thousands of people in the same situation also.

Good on you and anyone else having a great time. 8)
Just keep one eye on the financial industry in general if any of it can affect you in any way.

RIK

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:13 pm

RetroRik wrote:
greenberet79 wrote:
RetroRik wrote:
I am speaking for myself. Probably for many thousands of people in the same situation also.

Good on you and anyone else having a great time. 8)
Just keep one eye on the financial industry in general if any of it can affect you in any way.

RIK
Ha, I like it! Or maybe today's a good day for me...I've not been on the Grind Your Gears thread yet!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:00 pm

James A wrote:The last few weeks ive had some factory work to cover my bills. Some of the people there were real eye openers. There was a woman and her son working there, he was a right horrible little chav. Second day there he wanted to know if i was interested in buying an ounce of uncut Cocaine off him as it was a bit hot for him to hold onto as he had beaten up a dealer to get it. Mind he was telling me this infront of his mum. Then he was also telling me about why he was on community service for breaking a guys jaw and cheekbone in a club for looking funny at him. This lads also 19 has two kids and another load of convictions for theft and battering his girlfriend. I asked if he had been sent down and he hadn't. His reply, keep giving my censored community service which i never bother doing, would rather go to prision and hang around with my mates.

You really have got to think that there is no hope for some people.
Crazy. But totally believable. God help is children and their mother. :(

I like to think everybody is born with the potential to be a decent human being, but I do think once some people are too far down the wrong path you can't help them.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:23 am

Allow me to explain what is wrong with Society via the medium of allegory.

In the not so distant past, I visited one of Tesco's fine establishments, situated just outside of the lovely cathedral city of Salisbury.

Now, the design of said establishment's carpark was clearly drawn up by this man...

Image(*)

...in that it consists of 10+ lanes of parking that all feed into a single exit. The resulting gridlock is stunning. I have been stuck in it for up to an hour. There is only one way that a system like this works. A simple system, known as "one at a time". All it takes is the ability to count to two and a modicum of human decency. All you have to do is let one car in and then go. It isn't hard.

But of course, the urge to "get ahead" takes over and the system breaks down into utter chaos. Despite the fact that people already in the single lane had to wait to be let in by the few decent human beings already in the queue, despite probably shouting and calling the people who didn't let them in various nasty names, when they get into the same situation, they choose themselves over their fellow man and become the exact asshole they complained about earlier. As a result, the whole system breaks down and we all get to spend our afternoon stuck in the Tesco carpark. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Here endeth the lesson.

(*) if you don't know who that is, you clearly had a deprived childhood.

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:59 am

I remember the guy in the photo above and where he's from. but don't ask me to remember his name.

I see similar examples of selfishness in the post office and the supermarket. There is a queue and somebody joins it, thus making it longer, and then they start tutting and complaining about the length of the queue (which they are a part of!) and how long it's taking. Then as soon as they get to the till or the counter they take their sweet time and spend more time being served than anyone else before them, while not giving a toss about the people having to wait patiently behind them.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:02 am

pratty wrote:I remember the guy in the photo above and where he's from. but don't ask me to remember his name.
Edifus. And yeah, I had to look it up too! It has been a very long while since I've read any Asterix.