'Play' (Formerly Replay) Discussion 13-14th October 2012

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RMLF

'Play' (Formerly Replay) Discussion 13-14th October 2012

Post by RMLF » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:25 pm

Sad Times that the event doesnt feel it can have a spiritual home and has sold out to the big city and bright lights of Manchester.

Everything ends up there. First the Footy Museum, now this. Shocking turn of events. It's now in the middle of October as well. What a Gyp

Winter Gardens not big enough if the you'd outgrown the Norbreck..

Really disappointed the 'festival' has sold out. :(
Last edited by RMLF on Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

DPrinny

Re: Replay in Manchester and Earlier

Post by DPrinny » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:29 pm

Ha no!

Manchester is the place for gaming.
The Norbeck was in the middle of nowhere

At least it will give people something to do other than gaming and being cold.

At least it isnt that London

My sofa and floor now up for booking

Arcadian

Post by Arcadian » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:46 pm

One of the lessons we learned a long time ago is that you can't please everyone! :lol:

Complaints when we hold it over bonfire night weekend, and now there's already a whinge about the new dates (what's actually wrong with October, btw? ;) ).

FYI we were all set to hold it at the Norbreck but they once again imposed unexpected terms about vacating the second room early - which we absolutely weren't happy with.

Winter Gardens was also viewed and costed - but access there is appalling, plus there's no free parking hence those travelling by car are likely to have been "mugged" for NCP Parking rates.

The new venue (which will be confirmed via our newsletter, shortly) has practically unlimited free parking, as well as great access (for both equipment drop-offs as well as event visitors).

We haven't turned our back on Blackpool altogether and we'd still very much like to hold another event there in the future ...
Last edited by Arcadian on Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:00 pm

Hoooray! Earlier date, closer to me and not in Blackpool :D

I am happy with this move!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

philly_fap_fap

Post by philly_fap_fap » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:09 pm

I, and I'm sure MANY others think that this is an absolutely brilliant move! Already very excited about the event this year :D

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:11 pm

Fine with me.

mlucifersam

Post by mlucifersam » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:11 pm

To say the event has 'sold out' by moving to Manchester is BEYOND ridiculous. Manchester is easier to get to from down south and should hopefully attract more people from there. Blackpool is a bit of a plop hole, let's face it, there's NOTHING else to do there in November other than eat chips! At least Manchester has a fantastic city centre and could attract people up for a weekend in Manc, taking in the shops & other city centre attractions. Great decision and I'm sure it'll be the most successful event yet.
Mark R. Jones

Ocean Software Ltd FB page: http://www.facebook.com/OceanSoftwareLtd
Ultimate Play The Game FB page: https://www.facebook.com/ultimateptg

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:28 pm

^It would of sold out if it went to London.
The most overrated part of England.

Just hope it isnt in the suburbs of Mancyland

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:31 pm

Very pleased the dates have moved. This means I can go to both Distant Worlds and Replay :)

Also I'd imagine Manchester's closer and/or easier to travel to for most people compared to Blackpool.

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:35 pm

ill just cut and paste what I wrote on Turner Arcades Wall on here, its easier
I'm In Preston so am eqidistant ish come what may. To person X, Ive not said that Manchester hasnt got gaming heritage, far from it. Nor am I saying that Manchester isnt easy to get out to either. But if its held some where like the G-mex or whatever its called these days, how much does the extra cost of hiring that place out get passed on to the customer. With greatly increased numbers, what incentive do you have to meet and greet other forumites, retro gamers, with a massive increase in numbers it goes from being a personal paean to just another game show without a USP as, surely it wont be the home gamers and stuff paying for it. You will end up with some retro and massive, or at least larger booths from whatever gaming giants are left at the time, providing Game and GS somehow survive their current Meltdown. Manchester may be easier to travel too, but bigger isnt always better. On a side not it really really irks that the northwest, NW of Manchester gets shat on again. Already lost the Footy Museum to Manchester and its no where near either of the footy grounds there, its taking over the Urbis as was. If the Norbreck was a problem then there is always the Winter Gardens with a bigger capacity or even elsewhere including the tower possibly. Instead we are likely getting a very homogenised impersonal thing, which would be totally different to the two replays so far, crushing the everyone talks to everyone else in favour of progess. So Blackpool was there out of season. So what? Progress may please some, but Im not happy about it, far from it
Ive no problems with the dates, just moving it when, there has been so much, which has been moved to Manchester, on the proviso that it will automatically be bigger, better and superb, just because its Manchester as opposed to where it wasm, is where the issue is. Given what has happened with other things in this area, its a bit of a kick in the teeth. I already know people who are narc'ed about it. It isnt just me
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:42 pm

The chippy is going lose business! :?

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:43 pm

But how do we know what it's going to turn out like? How do we know it's going to be HUGE and impersonal?

If its worse than Blackpool - I'll give opinion after the event as until that point I don't have a clue what to expect! (well, not until we get more info!) Cheer up Mr Foot - it could be worse, it could be in Preston! :lol: :wink:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:48 pm

markopoloman wrote:But how do we know what it's going to turn out like? How do we know it's going to be HUGE and impersonal?

If its worse than Blackpool - I'll give opinion after the event as until that point I don't have a clue what to expect! (well, not until we get more info!) Cheer up Mr Foot - it could be worse, it could be in Preston! :lol: :wink:
And done a lot better! :wink:

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:51 pm

RMLF - Disappointment and disagreement is fine - but "sell out"? Come on! You sound like a moping hipster whose favourite band has just signed for a major label :P

Plus, you're making a heck of a lot of assumptions there, unless you know something the rest of us don't? You mention a potential extra cost, less of an incentive to meet and greet, the loss of it's USP, bigger not being better, homogenisation... where are you getting this from?

BTW, it's not because I'm a Manc that I'm taking this opinion - I have no problem travelling to Blackpool (in fact, the journey makes it seem a bit more interesting, but I'm not going to complain) but before getting a bee in your bonnet over Manchester stealing another of Lancashire's things (you can have the footy museum back as far as I care), why not at least wait until we've got something more than date and a vague location before you start making really quite presumptuous complaints?

You really can't please all the people all of the time, can you?

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:58 pm

I cannot see any reason why a move to Manchester could be perceived as a sellout. A cracking decision by the Replay boys.
HADDOCKEN!