Pixel Nation News

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

retrosofer

Re: The Pixel Nation is Formed

Post by retrosofer » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:47 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
retrosofer wrote:i still find it amazing that for years RG has been the only succesful retro gaming magazine out there, there is plenty of space for another in the market and has been for years.
There have been/are others with varying degrees of success. For example...

GameRoom magazine ran from as far back as 1988, only closing its doors within the last couple of years:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gameroom_magazine

The Gamer's Quarter also did a very similar format to PN:
http://www.gamersquarter.com/

The major points that RG has are that its UK based/focused (unlike GameRoom) and is more mainstream in its distribution than most others, being a commercial newstand mag rather than a fan product (not that the RG team aren't fans).

Woz interview is the top billed feature for me in PN2, haven't heard anything of him in such a long time.
Thats interesting, i have never heard of these mags before. I think we are at a crossroads though, or nearing a crossroads in terms of traditional print and distribution of magazines. In the future i can still see physical mags available, but only in the form of print on demand, either by subscription or by order. I can see a point not too far in the future where the likes of WHSmiths will have to rethink and overhaul its bussiness, or at least part of it, just hope they dont go down the Woolworths route.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:41 am

I detest reading magazines in PDF/digital form, so personally hope this future is a long way off.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:17 am

retrosofer wrote:Seriously though, thats a silly reason not to buy the mag, its made up of many different articles from many different writers, not just one or two from one person. I dont really like Atari, and i think Jagfest_UK is a complete and utter censored, but thats not going to stop me buying the mag and enjoying his articles as well as others, and finding somthing out about the company that i wasn't aware of. I might think Jagfest_UK is a censored, but i can still enjoy and appreciate what he has written based on those articles themselves, not on what i think of him or what he has written on this forum, and likewise about his upcoming RG article, wont put me off buying the mag or reading and enjoying his article or others within it.
Wow don't hold back will you :shock:

Why not sl@g me off some more :roll:

I love you too :P

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:19 am

jdanddiet wrote:I detest reading magazines in PDF/digital form, so personally hope this future is a long way off.
I still think we'll have physical magazines, but they'll only be print on damand, copies only printed and distributed to those that have paid for that copy, with the PDF digital option being available also, sign of the times ahead i think.

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:22 am

Jagfest_UK wrote:
retrosofer wrote:Seriously though, thats a silly reason not to buy the mag, its made up of many different articles from many different writers, not just one or two from one person. I dont really like Atari, and i think Jagfest_UK is a complete and utter censored, but thats not going to stop me buying the mag and enjoying his articles as well as others, and finding somthing out about the company that i wasn't aware of. I might think Jagfest_UK is a censored, but i can still enjoy and appreciate what he has written based on those articles themselves, not on what i think of him or what he has written on this forum, and likewise about his upcoming RG article, wont put me off buying the mag or reading and enjoying his article or others within it.
Wow don't hold back will you :shock:

Why not sl@g me off some more :roll:

I love you too :P
:lol: we both know there is no love lost, i wont pretend otherwise. Im genuinly looking forward to the Atari articles though, the Atari Japan one sounds very interesting.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:27 am

We can't be too far off higher resolution tablets that can do a proper job of replicating a mag page either. That'll make a big difference. I never thought I'd take to ebooks but I swear by my eReader now for novels.

Once we have tablets as the primary means of reading mags and they're designed with that in mind the experience should benefit too.

Why have static screenshots when you can have video on the page? (think Harry Potter).

Click a link on a game title to be taken to WoS to play it.

It holds great possibilties.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

K1NGARTH3R

Post by K1NGARTH3R » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:38 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:We can't be too far off higher resolution tablets that can do a proper job of replicating a mag page either. That'll make a big difference. I never thought I'd take to ebooks but I swear by my eReader now for novels.

Once we have tablets as the primary means of reading mags and they're designed with that in mind the experience should benefit too.

Why have static screenshots when you can have video on the page? (think Harry Potter).

Click a link on a game title to be taken to WoS to play it.

It holds great possibilties.
+1

Physical magazines are great but I only have so much room to store them - Storing them as .PDF is much better

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:44 am

That's why PN comes in a nice handy A5 book form. Perfect to tuck away on a games shelf :P
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:48 am

retrosofer wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:I'm not sure whether I'll be buying it myself though as I fear it may feature the contribution/s of one particularly notorious writer who, based on past published works, clearly doesn't know his arse from his elbow.
:shock: Thats unfair to Jagfest_UK isn't it, i thought he was your man, you dont have to read his articles :lol: just joking.
Seriously though, thats a silly reason not to buy the mag, its made up of many different articles from many different writers, not just one or two from one person. I dont really like Atari, and i think Jagfest_UK is a complete and utter censored, but thats not going to stop me buying the mag and enjoying his articles as well as others, and finding somthing out about the company that i wasn't aware of. I might think Jagfest_UK is a censored, but i can still enjoy and appreciate what he has written based on those articles themselves, not on what i think of him or what he has written on this forum, and likewise about his upcoming RG article, wont put me off buying the mag or reading and enjoying his article or others within it.
You should really give this persons articles the benefit of the doubt until you have read through them at least, you might not have liked their stuff in the past, but that doesn't mean that you will definitally not like these articles, how do you know they wont be good until you read them for yourself? You should also appreciate that alot of other writers have wrote articles for the mag and put alot of hardwork into them, and at least give them the benefit of doubt also, as it would be a shame that you wouldn't get to read their stuff which you might like just because you don't like one person.
YOU may think, that in YOUR OPINION, it is "a silly reason not to buy the mag". Just because you believe something does not make it so, so enough with the pompous preaching already, thank you.

You may not personally like Jagfest_UK one bit. That's your prerogative but well done for taking the opportunity to call him a "censored" if it made you feel better. I don't know what offensive name it was you twice saw necessary to call him here as the board software auto-censored it and nor do I care.

Also, it is highly unprofessional for you to be slagging off a fellow PN writer here in public in a thread where the publication is being promoted.

So you're now telling people what they should do? If only you could see that the way you are going about things to constantly big up PN is actually having the opposite effect. Your sycophantic attitude actually puts me off buying PN.

Seriously, give the cheerleading and brown nosing of Lorfarius a rest for a minute will you. Let folk decide for themselves whether they want to purchase the magazine without telling them how they should be thinking all the time.

I have nothing against the writer concerned on a personal level so please get that out of your head. The work of his I've read that has been previously published was shockingly poor in my opinion and in the opinion of many others too. Lazy, error strewn, 'cribbed it off the internet', factually incorrect, opinion stated as fact, revisionist crap is his way of things. Given that said writer will likely have been paid for his 'contribution' there's no way in hell I'll be purchasing the latest PN if it features anything by him. I'd see it as endorsing his continued existence as a 'writer'.

If you have genuine respect for Lorfarius and PN you'll kindly let folk come to their own conclusions without doing this silly cheerleader routine every single damn time anyone says something which doesn't tally with your way of thinking with regard to PN. Your constant attempts to browbeat people into submission would I'd have thought be a great source of embarrassment to Lorfarius. I'm quite sure Lorfarius is more than capable of making PN the success it deserves to be without the dubious assistance of one who screeches and screams like a twelve year old schoolgirl in the misguided notion that it benefits PN.

Good day.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:35 am

Anyway lets all leave this and go back to the cover! More comments please 8)

zapiy

Post by zapiy » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:50 pm

Have to say this looks brilliant..

Great work, will promote this you know where..

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:52 pm

Good man :)

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:12 am

Ok I have read the whole thing:

Appearances wise it is excellent, very glossy pages, love the 'embossed' look of the black lines.

One problem is that because the pages are so tightly bound it is VERY hard to read the writing near the spine.

Maybe you can leave a margin in the next volume as it would require bending (and thus ruining) the book to read the articles properly.

As I mentioned before there are a lot of mistakes, but I read the Out Run bit last night and again there was a paragraph that just stopped dead mid sentence, and then in the 'rise & fall of the arcades' articles there was another large body of text repeated twice.

These large and repeated mistakes really spoilt the enjoyment of reading the book. Overall I enjoyed it, the articles were interesting and it seems to have a different take on it to RG mag and other things.. I enjoy the art aspect of it.

However the mistakes are poor, next time just send the book to someone who has a few hours to spare to read it before you print it, surely this isn't too much of an issue, hell I'd do it for a free copy!

It's a real shame as these probelsm should never have made it to print and especially for an important, impressionable 1st issue.

But overall well done for taking the time and effort to produce this cool little book, I just wish you had spent a few hours perfecting it before releasing it to the world. :?
Last edited by ChipTune on Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:47 am

Lorfarius will you be selling these at the retro show in Manchester ? Was good to see you at Blackpool and buy one of the earlier editions then.

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:02 am

If we can get space we will :) Next weekend they will be on sale at GamesBritania and on the 21st the Manchester Anime/Video game convention.