Pixel Nation News

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Retro_Heart

Re: The Pixel Nation is Formed

Post by Retro_Heart » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:13 am

jdanddiet wrote:I just tested mine. The creaking was bad but I've opened all pages fully now without any problems. Seems like just Antiriad has a duff one :wink:
Brilliant . no worries, glad your sorted :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:46 am

Retro_Heart wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:Binding on my issue has gone a little, some of the front pages are starting to come loose. I think its because the cover doesn't open at the fold line a couple of mils in, it opens right at the bind line. It;ll be a shame if pages start falling out. Not so bad for a mag, but I'd be well annoyed if the MD (or any other) book did that.
Hi Mate, further to my post last night, I have gone through and checked 20 odd books totally at random from our stock, and Havn't come across one book that suffers from this issue. The cover on all of them opens at the fold line, and everything seems good.

I am going to offer to send you a replacement book out, if thats ok. Feel free to PM me your info, and I'll get that organised for you post haste. Cheers :)
A very kind offer and excellent customer service, but I'm ok with it in this instance. Just wanted to raise it so if there were a wider issue it could be sorted out for the books proper.

Its not something that was immediately obvious, but I've been picking it up, reading a couple of pages at bedtime then putting it down again over the last week or so and over time the cover binding has worn down to the page edge.

I toiled a little with reading the Amiga article last night, that background was just a little too fussy for the small text. I should have been wearing my glasses (though I never do), so I won't put the blame entirely on the design ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

subzero

Post by subzero » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:48 pm

received my copy today but havent had a chance to read any of it yet, will have a butchers when everyone is in bed tonight,..

Retro_Heart

Post by Retro_Heart » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:45 pm

subzero wrote:received my copy today but havent had a chance to read any of it yet, will have a butchers when everyone is in bed tonight,..
Awesome! Really looking forward to your thoughts :)

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:22 am

Managed to get a mention on the ClassicL337 podcast:

http://www.classicl337.com/2012/04/epis ... games.html

And the guys from RetroAsylum (which is by far the best UK podcast out there) intreviewed yours truly:

http://retroasylum.com/archives/categor ... ws/podcast

U-Publish is really starting to find its feet, just had a couple of new submissions, the first has just gone up which is Retrocade Magazine:

http://pixel-nation.co.uk/index.php/onl ... -1-issue-1

Can't mention our other entry just yet as just finalising a few details but its the perfect example of what I want to achieve with U-Pub. Stuff linking off to other sites, sharing all the retro work that is out there so a real central hub of user generated stuff :)
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

Retro_Heart

Post by Retro_Heart » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:43 am

The first MD Total Book will have approx 150 + pages focused on games, and also a 30 odd page section which will be a narrative guide to the design and release of the Megadrive into Japan, US and EU.

I will give you guys a more detailed synopsis of the narrative part of the book as I have it

Cheers

zapiy

Post by zapiy » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:49 am

Really looking forward to this one fella.

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:02 pm

Lorfarius wrote:Damn, we missed that bit :( The strange thing is 3 of us went over that before it went to printing :oops: Heads will roll! Promise we will do better next time :D we want this to develop into something special and as professional looking as possible, so stick with us.
Just finished reading it, quality little book, cant wait for the next one & also the megadrive ones :D

also you might want to take a close look at pages 70 & 71 arcades feature :wink:
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

Retro_Heart

Post by Retro_Heart » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:23 pm

TheNewMonkey wrote:
Lorfarius wrote:Damn, we missed that bit :( The strange thing is 3 of us went over that before it went to printing :oops: Heads will roll! Promise we will do better next time :D we want this to develop into something special and as professional looking as possible, so stick with us.
Just finished reading it, quality little book, cant wait for the next one & also the megadrive ones :D

also you might want to take a close look at pages 70 & 71 arcades feature :wink:
Very glad you enjoyed the book ! :)

We will have news on PN#2 very soon indeed. Work has been well underway on it for some time now. We have listended intently to customer feedback and crtiique, and we sincerely think PN#2 will be an even bigger step in the right direction.

LOTS of mega exciting news is upcoming on various Pixel Nation developments, and I really do want to sincerely thank everyone for their support. It would not be possible without that support, and we are eternally grateful for it

cheers

ps - im not where the books are right now, cant check pages 70 & 71.. do tell .... :D

subzero

Post by subzero » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:39 pm

Just flicking through this, the quality is very evident, professionally done, nice colours and some articles that are very appealing to me. Will be glad to get some time to read it all :)

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:20 am

Just remember, lots of light to see those lovely designs :P

Retro_Heart

Post by Retro_Heart » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:08 pm

subzero wrote:Just flicking through this, the quality is very evident, professionally done, nice colours and some articles that are very appealing to me. Will be glad to get some time to read it all :)
Ahhh thanks me old buddy :)

Really glad you like the book, and thanks a billion for your support

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:10 pm

Im really interested in getting one of those megadrive books when they come out. Just wandering, but is there any chance of you guys doing something similar for the PCE? I would bite yours hands off for one if you did. I know its a bit more of an obscure machine generally, but as you all know there were a mass of great games for it and the CD Rom and the GT etc were all great in their own right. A book on such a niche system (over here anyway) would make it all the more special, a token to the people who bought it back in the day that they made the right choice.

Eat your nans pants

fujiHunter

Post by fujiHunter » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:08 pm

Got my copy in post today. My first impressions are that teething problems aside it's a very slick and professional production. The smaller profile is a good idea too. I'm impressed. :D

It's just a real shame that mine arrived blighted with some seriously heavy damage to the top the the spine... this kinda spoiled it a bit for me. :cry: What should have sat proudly on my bookshelf now looks mighty ugly. :(

>RE problems with the spine
I didn't notice creaking pages as other noted. However, the front cover had no stiffness/resistance when opened and just flopped right open flat. For some reason the front cover appears to have been folded right back on itself and a *crease* pressed into it (... and dangerously close to the binding I should add).

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:05 am

crusto wrote:Im really interested in getting one of those megadrive books when they come out. Just wandering, but is there any chance of you guys doing something similar for the PCE? I would bite yours hands off for one if you did. I know its a bit more of an obscure machine generally, but as you all know there were a mass of great games for it and the CD Rom and the GT etc were all great in their own right. A book on such a niche system (over here anyway) would make it all the more special, a token to the people who bought it back in the day that they made the right choice.
The plan is to eventually take the Total series across all formats. The next one is most likely to be the SNES, just depends on how many writers we can get involved. The PCE is one of my all time fav retro systems so I'm eager to do something for it. With all the CD and Japanese games there's a lot worth covering too :D