Pixel Nation News

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Lorfarius

Pixel Nation News

Post by Lorfarius » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:30 pm

As a few of you are I'm sure are aware I recently worked on a magazine for NES-Bit, a small community based project which I think met with great success. During the later stages of this magazine I got to chatting to a few other forumites and started working on something completely new, a retro publication called Pixel Nation.

After 5 months of hard work, determination, professional designs and gallons of coffee I'm now proud to announce that the first issue and website is finally complete:

http://pixel-nation.co.uk/

We are launching with a regular quarterly book with Issue 1 consisting of 100 full colour printed glossy pages, packed with articles/exclusive interviews, in handy A5 book size. Perfect for train journeys! We also have a PDF version as well for all those who prefer to read it on tablets, PC's etc. It's packed full of content, including the following:

Can video games be considered art? - We talk to Jose Emroca Flores (responsible for our cover), Dutch artist Metin Sevin from Seventh Heaven as we attempt to answer the question “Can video games truly be considered as art?“
2D Platform Revival - An in-depth look at the classic 2D Platform genre, how it faded away, and its current resurgence on modern platforms.
Design Classic: NiGHTS into Dreams - Huge feature on the beautiful Sega title Nights into Dreams. This is a “Design Classic” concept, where we outline in detail a particular game, and what makes it a design classic as well as its history.
Retro Icon: Outrun - Yes, we obviously love Sega, but really, all the cool kids do! A huge in-depth feature, and our regular “Retro Icon“ concept, going into mega detail about the original Outrun Coin-Op and what makes it unquestionably a Retro Icon.
Bob Wakelin Interview - We interview super influential 80’s British video game artist Bob Wakelin, and take a look at some of his favourite pieces of game art.
Retro Collect guide to Floppy Discs, the Gaming Black Market and the Far East - Yeah, we’re going there! The awesome and very knowledgeable Adam of RetroCollect joins the Pixel Nation, and gives you a wonderfully entertaining look at the various copying devices and black market shadiness from the world of retro games.
Confessions of a Girl Gamer - But I thought this was a geeky boys club? No! Geeky girls play too! An excellent and thought provoking look at some of video games most iconic female characters, as written from the perspective of an actual real life girl gamer!
Zelda Cartoon Feature - “Well, excuse me Princess!” We interview the two voice actors from the 1980’s Zelda cartoon, to get an insiders perspective on the show.
Spotlight: Koji Kando - A look at some of the awesome output from the Japanese video game music composer who has composed some of the most iconic game music of all time.
Amiga 1200 Look Back - Who doesn’t go weak at the knee’s for Commodores super beast of an Amiga? This is a richly detailed look at the history behind the system and how it came to be.
Shadow of the Beast Interview - Another exclusive interview, as we talk to the man behind the Amiga classic Shadow of the Beast, Martin Edmondson, in the first of a two part special speaking to the people behind the games.

Also:

· Tomb Raider 2 – A Saturn vs. PlayStation Story
· The Rise & Fall of Arcades
· The Year in Games - 1985

And more!

We basically went all out to get some great stuff and I'm very proud of the Legend of Zelda cartoon interview! The printed version includes the PDF for those who simply can't wait for it to arrive! There's a few pics towards the end of the post so let me know what you think!

U-Publish

In creating NES-Bit magazine I was always wandering around the web, trying to see what other fan based communities were trying to come up. One thing I noticed is the huge number of fanzine type books/mags that were available yet most of the time are hardly seen by many. So with this in mind I came up with the idea of why not have a central place where everyone can visit to discover retro publications that you might have missed. I managed to add a few books to the library so far in Pixellation Issue 1 and Hidden Treasures but I'm really hoping this will expand over time. It's on the site so please have a look at the few we have to offer.

The whole goal of Pixel Nation is to create a dedicated retro community that can actually share stuff with everyone, get things published without spending thousands (something I found the case to be with NES-Bit Magazine System). I'm very, very excited about all this as I'm sure you can imagine and I'm looking for as much support as I can muster, so please visit the site! There's also a store packed with retro goodies so I'm hoping its enough to entice you all.

Last edited by Lorfarius on Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:44 pm, edited 6 times in total.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

The Laird

Re: The Pixel Nation is Formed

Post by The Laird » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:36 pm

Nice idea and looks excellent but dosn't cater to a very broard range of tastes. Nothing there that makes me want to buy it but good luck with it anyway as I am all for fanzines!

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:41 pm

That looks great ! It's a bit console heavy but the A1200 and SOtB bits look cool.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:48 pm

Excellent stuff. I'm a big fan of these sorts of publications (Game Spite, Scroll, Gamer's Quarter etc) so all the best to you. :D

I just went to order a copy of Issue 1 & saw that there was Eco Tax. Umm, what's that? :?

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:59 pm

A shame things didn't pan out in for us, but I wish both Steven and yourself every success with pixel nation publishing and that you both strike a cord in the retro gaming community, and issue one looks great

All the best

Grey.
↓↓Click Link to See More
[url=http://www.greyfoxbooks.com[/url]

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:08 pm

Morkin wrote:Excellent stuff. I'm a big fan of these sorts of publications (Game Spite, Scroll, Gamer's Quarter etc) so all the best to you. :D

I just went to order a copy of Issue 1 & saw that there was Eco Tax. Umm, what's that? :?
The Eco Tax is gone :lol: Mass panic for a minute, a tick box in a panel that had been left. Phew!

To the earlier comment about console heavy, this is going to be a regular book and we want to bring people in from all over writing on a variety of topics. One of the main focuses of PN is to let the community get involved and actually write so if you feel there should be more of a specific thing then join the forum and become involved :D

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:11 pm

It is a bit misleading that the cover says NEC, Atari, Amstrad, SNK etc. when there is no content for any of those machines.

Just Nintendo, Sega, Amiga and Playstation.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:16 pm

Looks N-I-C-E. Best wishes, hope it does well (will pop over to website in a mo.).

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:21 pm

Jagfest_UK wrote:It is a bit misleading that the cover says NEC, Atari, Amstrad, SNK etc. when there is no content for any of those machines.

Just Nintendo, Sega, Amiga and Playstation.
Its a retro multi-format publication, they will all follow. You forgot to mention Commodore for instance and we do have Shadow of the Beast which did appear on the Atari :P And there is content for several of the above, I haven't list 100% of the content from the off :lol:

I'm currently in talks with someone quite big on the NEC front but that's for another issue :oops:

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:26 pm

:oops: not really big fan of putting my card details in on sites, DO want your magazine, checked out the F.A.Q, saw this:

'. If you wish to make payment using any other method, this can be arranged. Please contact us for details'

What are my options?.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:30 pm

Lorfarius wrote:Ithere is content for several of the above, I haven't list 100% of the content from the off :lol:
If that's the case then you would be better of listing some of the other formats you cover in this issue as at the moment it comes across as very limited as I said.

Would also be nice to read about some stuff that hasn't been covered eleventy billion times before.

I will just keep a look out for the next issue I think. As I said I wish you luch anyway and it does look nice.

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:38 pm

thevulture wrote::oops: not really big fan of putting my card details in on sites, DO want your magazine, checked out the F.A.Q, saw this:

'. If you wish to make payment using any other method, this can be arranged. Please contact us for details'

What are my options?.
Visit the Contact Us page and drop an email :) There's a link in the FAQ with a box for such requests.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:24 pm

Lorfarius wrote:
Morkin wrote:Excellent stuff. I'm a big fan of these sorts of publications (Game Spite, Scroll, Gamer's Quarter etc) so all the best to you. :D

The Eco Tax is gone :lol: Mass panic for a minute, a tick box in a panel that had been left. Phew!
Hehe. You had me wondering there for a minute! :lol:

If I want to use Paypal, do I have to register an account with you? It would be handy if I could just clck on a Paypal button & pay that way, which I've done in the past with other online purchases.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:56 pm

Looks great to me, I'm in. My only problem is what to buy - there's so many other interesting pre-orders there.

I thought NES-Bit was an impressive bit of work for an amateur production/fanzine (please don't take offence at the 'amateur' tag, I only mean it in relation to things like RG which are commercial). NES just isn't my cup of tea however, it just doesn't push my buttons.

This on the other hand holds great promise. The content shown is more to my taste and even when its not, there's other systems. Just like RG, you can't please everyone with a multiformat mag, but you can please a lot of them.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:07 pm

:cry:

Something's gone wrong. I ordered, went to download my PDF (as I ordered the Pixellation ebook too), it says my order's cancelled. Not sure if its Paypal playing up or if there's something else amiss. Not sure if I should reorder.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.