Today I quit my job

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

djcarlos

Re: Today I quit my job

Post by djcarlos » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:58 am

Fuck this bunch of careers advisors Rocky, none of them have any idea what's going on in your life or in your head at the moment.

I'm sure it wasn't a decision you took lightly, so fair play to you mate.

I had to do the same thing a few years ago, as my job was twisting me up to the point that it was my job or my marriage. I don't care what anyone says, if you're not fussy you can get a job pretty much straight away to tide you over til you get something you want. I quit my job as a general manager responsible for a hundred staff and went and picked-up a pizza delivery job the next day.

Big pay cut but kept the bills paid (I should point out that the wife had a fairly decent job) and saved my sanity and marriage.

There are jobs out there at the moment, you might just have to think outside the box a bit.

Good luck mate.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:33 am

djcarlos wrote:Fuck this bunch of careers advisors Rocky, none of them have any idea what's going on in your life or in your head at the moment.
Bit harsh, if he doesnt want 'career advice' from us *****ers then dont post it here. If anything people are trying to be nice and realistic, no point giving views like yourself like 'you'll be alright' , glad it worked out for you getting a job asap, for others it doesnt.

I hope he does find a good new job straight away and then it'll turn out brilliantly. At the end of the day your wifes well paid job obviously helped you quit and become a pizza delivery driver. But fingers crossed he'll get sorted

miner2049er

Post by miner2049er » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:03 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Find new job. Leave old job.

That's how its supposed to work.
Not quite:

Find new job. Leave old job. Week off. Start new job.
http://www.jamesonline.net
Now I just need an amusing tag line.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:06 am

miner2049er wrote:Not quite:

Find new job. Leave old job. Week off. Start new job.
Ha ha very true, its great if you get a new job, then hand in your notice to your crappy old job and then your start date like you say is a week later so you have a nice lazy relaxing week before you start the new one.

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:14 am

good on you for having the balls to do it i say, its not something you can take lightly, takes a lot of courage and an understanding partner. 5 years ago i was in the same boat, company that was unethical, bad pay, all i did was moan constantly to the missus when i wasnt at work, then i thought i've had enough, (them not letting me have one day off in 3 months after 7 day weeks 12 hour days sometimes was the final straw), i quit and never looked back. went from managing a private halls of residence to looking after a 9 months child full time (comparable sometimes) and within a month found myself an evening job a few nights a week and im still there (abeit with another child now).

hope you find something that you enjoy, i went from management and all the responsibilities to essentially just being a person on a desk with no responsibility whatsoever and im a completely different person now. My advice is to just try any job that you may never have thought about, you may really like it :D

good luck mate

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:16 am

Good post, i know its easy to say but its not all about the money, people who often talk about the tons theyre earning arent often happy. I work at home, can see my 15 month old daughter tons and i wouldnt swap it for anything, granted i could earn more going out, getting more stressed, back later etc and not seeing her so much but i prefer not to.

Difficult to get the happy medium but just know if you find a new job its not all about the money, if you can relax/be happy it all helps, hopefully the money will be 'decent' but you dont want to turn into one of these people who constantly waffles on about their huge bonus etc, thats not good at all.

Hope you get sorted

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:41 am

It's brave thing to do under this current climate as a average 100 to 200 people tries to get 1 position in a new job.
I don't blame how you are feeling because many family deaths in many bound to affect you & feel you are in a rut.
I had the same thing myself in the early 90's my father died & my job weren't that brilliant (working in a building of debt collectors) + everybody working there are depressing except the board of directors. I ended up quitting after 2yrs & then took-up permanent job as a non-professional carer for my wife.
Trouble with quitting you get a reduced amount benefit for a few months.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:57 am

I'm in the opposite position to be honest. I've been trying to hire more staff for my department for a few months now, and most of the CV's I've had through seem to be from utter cretins, even the ones that have come through agencies, who you would think would actually screen them before sending them on to prospective employers- people who under hobbbies and interests list 'having given up smoking in 2008', for instance. I've had people not turn up to interviews, turn up and leave before I even got to speak to them, and start and leave after two days because they didn't think they were going to enjoy it as much as they originally thought.

No disrespect to anyone in this thread, but I'm beginning to think that a lot of companies have gone 'it's a recession, fire the idiots, keep the competent people!'. If you're a decent upstanding person I'm sure you'll find work, but I'm beginning to think some of the unemployed are just unemployable.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:04 am

Treguard wrote:I'm in the opposite position to be honest. I've been trying to hire more staff for my department for a few months now, and most of the CV's I've had through seem to be from utter cretins, even the ones that have come through agencies, who you would think would actually screen them before sending them on to prospective employers- people who under hobbbies and interests list 'having given up smoking in 2008', for instance. I've had people not turn up to interviews, turn up and leave before I even got to speak to them, and start and leave after two days because they didn't think they were going to enjoy it as much as they originally thought.

No disrespect to anyone in this thread, but I'm beginning to think that a lot of companies have gone 'it's a recession, fire the idiots, keep the competent people!'. If you're a decent upstanding person I'm sure you'll find work, but I'm beginning to think some of the unemployed are just unemployable.
It very much seems to depend on where you live and what type of work you're looking for. One of my mates who was a logistics manager working for a petrochemical company was made redundant over a year ago. Despite being well qualified and experienced and sending out around 30 CV's/job applications a week for pretty much anything office related he's managed to secure 3 (count em) interviews in all that time. He's now looking at potentially moving abroad because there's just no-one hiring in his field and the companies that are hiring are getting so many applications that if your CV isn't among the first 20 they look at it'll never even get read. He can't afford to just take any minimum wage job because his mortgage protection will stop and the income won't cover it.
Conversely if you want to work in a shop/food establishment you can get a job like that tomorrow if you want one.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:06 am

Treguard wrote:I'm in the opposite position to be honest. I've been trying to hire more staff for my department for a few months now, and most of the CV's I've had through seem to be from utter cretins, even the ones that have come through agencies, who you would think would actually screen them before sending them on to prospective employers- people who under hobbbies and interests list 'having given up smoking in 2008', for instance. I've had people not turn up to interviews, turn up and leave before I even got to speak to them, and start and leave after two days because they didn't think they were going to enjoy it as much as they originally thought.

thats just reminded me that the last person i ever interviewed told racist jokes during his interview and slagged off students - he didn't get the job (the job centre also sent me someone who couldn't actually speak any english too)

pforson

Post by pforson » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:21 am

I handed in my notice at work about a month ago (I have 3 weeks left until I leave). I really like my job, it's fun, satisfying and the people are great (it pays well too), the only downside is very long hours. I am leaving for personal reasons - moving to Germany to live with my partner.

The predicament I find myself in is pretty scary. Find a new job, in a new country, that pays well and is as enjoyable and rewarding as the one I'm leaving. To say that I'm apprehensive would be an understatement.

Pete
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:34 am

pforson wrote:I handed in my notice at work about a month ago (I have 3 weeks left until I leave). I really like my job, it's fun, satisfying and the people are great (it pays well too), the only downside is very long hours. I am leaving for personal reasons - moving to Germany to live with my partner.

The predicament I find myself in is pretty scary. Find a new job, in a new country, that pays well and is as enjoyable and rewarding as the one I'm leaving. To say that I'm apprehensive would be an understatement.

Pete
Good luck with that, to do what youre doing takes balls.

Eat your nans pants

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:02 am

I think people have bought into the hype around no jobs a little too much. There are jobs about, its knowing where to look that's the issue as not all of them are advertised neatly and succinctly. One of me mates has had 2 different jobs since xmas, and got them no problems. Another was made redundant before Xmas and walked straight into something else. Another is about to be made redundant, but should get another job at the same place doing a slightly different role. They are there, it's just looking away from papers, net and job centre to find them

I've applied for a job after 5 and a half years without one because of my back, got shortlisted and through to interview. Unless I really mess up the interview, there is a good chance I'll get taken on there. The job wasnt widely advertised, in fact it was on one singular job site for 12 hours only and is with a major organisation.

Quitting a job is done for many reasons, and lambasting the poor guy for doing something that he feels is right is well a bit mental.
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:12 am

FatTrucker wrote:Conversely if you want to work in a shop/food establishment you can get a job like that tomorrow if you want one.
Really now? I've not had much luck in regards to any places like this.

It's all down to luck really, getting your application/CV in when there are positions, as long as you're not a complete degenerate. At least that's what I think.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:34 am

speedlolita wrote:
FatTrucker wrote:Conversely if you want to work in a shop/food establishment you can get a job like that tomorrow if you want one.
Really now? I've not had much luck in regards to any places like this.

It's all down to luck really, getting your application/CV in when there are positions, as long as you're not a complete degenerate. At least that's what I think.
I live about 5 miles from Lakeside shopping centre, between that and the adjacent retail park and supermarkets there are always jobs available if you're not picky and over the next 2 years its being renovated and expanded again creating even more work. Like I said in my original post it very much seems to be based on where you live and what type of work you're looking for.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.