Today I quit my job

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

FatTrucker

Re: Today I quit my job

Post by FatTrucker » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:30 pm

I would agree that as a rule even if you're in a job that's sh*t enough that its making you ill then its usually better to find another one before jacking it in, even if you have to go off sick while you're looking.
However there's a reasonable argument that you're far more likely and motivated to actually get out there and find a job if you simply quit and jump into the void with bills to pay than if you just stay in the rut.

At our last house we had talked for 3 years about remodelling, it wasn't until I came home from work one day and Mrs Trucker™ had finally had enough and just knocked one of the walls down with a hammer that we actually got around to getting anything sorted, sometimes leaving a sh*t job to find something new has to be done like that.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

WildWillyWilson

Post by WildWillyWilson » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:37 pm

All the best Rocky, hope this works out. There's no doubt it's challenging to get the job you'd like at present but there are jobs out there, I think too many people fall into the trap of listening to others and convincing themselves that there's no jobs. Applying for jobs the traditional way is without a doubt extremely though these days- just through the sheer number of people applying for positions by sitting at home on a laptop and firing off CV's left right and centre. Getting your foot in the door via word of mouth or through a friend etc... is always handy and even approaching companies who aren't advertising but could maybe use your experience/expertise is something to think of.

I walked out of a job back in 2008 without having one lined up. Managed to get another far less well paid job after a month or so to at least contribute to the bills. Fast forward to now and I'm in a job that pays well- albeit the hours are very long (50-60 per week) and stress levels are pretty high but I'm paying down debts that I have and aim to be debt free (mortgage aside) by the end of next year. So it's worthwhile. You don't get nothing in this life without hard graft.

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:10 pm

Mayhem wrote:Yeah... been looking five months now myself, and had one interview in that time. Absolutely daft...
Interview? You mean those things actually exist? :mrgreen:

I think I'm stuck in the usual loop...
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

Dave300

Post by Dave300 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:25 pm

good on you, and congratulations on your move. I was stuck in a rut in my old job, and found myself constantly stressed without realising how stressed I was. I think after quitting the job it took me about 2 months (and a brief minor heart attack which must have been my going cold turkey on the stress!) before I finally settled down back to normal. I spent a few months out, rebuilding some sort of social life, and actually enjoying my free time for once, before it was time to search for a new job. Good luck!

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:33 pm

wow did not expect this. Mrs Rocky and I talked this through long and hard before I left. I was the money worried about money she was the one worried about the important things like our marriage, my health. It was only a matter of time before I was pushed out the door for not meeting some crazy stat or another, then it would have been worse 9 years in the same job then you were sacked.... does not look good at all. I was good at the job like it was 5 years ago, Mrs Rocky is good at the job like it stands today. When they are watching literally minute of your working day then its time to go. I will get something else might just take a little longer thats all
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:47 pm

Im in a wonderful position atm, Im in the middle of an IT apprenticeship and I had to leave the placement they gave me as it was a really bad match and now Im stuck as Im not getting anywhere trying to find my own and the college wont give me useful advice on who I should be asking and wont let me apply for any they get through, the person that deals with it completely ignores me and loudly complains about me to other members of staff behind my back whilst never saying anything to my face, Ive got something planned for when the higher ups are in though to really drop them in it.
Watching you sleep since 1990

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:47 pm

Health & happiness are more important than money & being sacked I not tried to be positive about this means you should get full benefits instead of a third of it.
Hope you get a new job soon be happy in it! :D

The Master

Post by The Master » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:39 pm

GO. MAD.
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:49 pm

The Master wrote:GO. MAD.
I. ALREADY. DID.
Watching you sleep since 1990

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:13 am

miner2049er wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:Find new job. Leave old job.

That's how its supposed to work.
Not quite:

Find new job. Leave old job. Week off. Start new job.
Ha ha, very good - I did that too.

Someone once told me It's always easier to find a job when you've already got one.
Treguard wrote:I'm in the opposite position to be honest. I've been trying to hire more staff for my department for a few months now, and most of the CV's I've had through seem to be from utter cretins, even the ones that have come through agencies, who you would think would actually screen them before sending them on to prospective employers- people who under hobbbies and interests list 'having given up smoking in 2008', for instance. I've had people not turn up to interviews, turn up and leave before I even got to speak to them, and start and leave after two days because they didn't think they were going to enjoy it as much as they originally thought.

No disrespect to anyone in this thread, but I'm beginning to think that a lot of companies have gone 'it's a recession, fire the idiots, keep the competent people!'. If you're a decent upstanding person I'm sure you'll find work, but I'm beginning to think some of the unemployed are just unemployable.
I found along similar lines, I am shocked by the quality (content and presentation) of some CVs. It's a product of Labour's obsession with 50% of people having a degree meaning the cost would go up (so they had to introduce fees) and people come out of uni with a bullshit degree and no experience applying for jobs they have no hope in getting.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Mr_C

Post by Mr_C » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:04 am

rocky1980 wrote:After 9 years in the same place it was time to go, It was killing me, it was having a massive effect on my moods,family life, health, hell everything. It feel so much better that I have gone. Just need to find a new job.......
I've been reading through the threads for a week or so but without having actually posted but I just wanted to say well done to you. It can be a big, scary step to take.

I learnt the hard way myself. Having been feeling not-so-great for a while I continued to push myself to 14+ hour days in a role that had changed drastically from the one I enjoyed to being outsourced into the company from hell where taking time off sick was the worst offense imaginable. I thought whatever was wrong with me would pass until I collapsed in pain at home one night and was taken into hospital. My pancreas, liver and kidneys were severely infected and the hospital were concerned that my pancreas was so weakened that it was about to fail.

Fortunately they did a great job of patching me up and I was lucky enough to come out of it with only type-2 diabetes. Luck was on my side that I had the opportunity present itself to take voluntary redundancy shortly afterwards. I had an enhanced redundancy package accrued over 12 years which gave me chance to concentrate on my health without having to worry about jumping straight into another job.

So, yeah, well done you and good luck job hunting. Just remember that your health is more important. I've never seen a dead man applying for a job.

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:24 pm

hear hear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :D
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!