Today I quit my job

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

rocky1980

Today I quit my job

Post by rocky1980 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:20 pm

After 9 years in the same place it was time to go, It was killing me, it was having a massive effect on my moods,family life, health, hell everything. It feel so much better that I have gone. Just need to find a new job.......
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

Sel Feena

Re: Today I quit my job

Post by Sel Feena » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:22 pm

Did you leave on good enough terms to get a decent reference, fella? 9 years of experience has to count for something.

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:26 pm

Good luck in your quest! Im out of work too, due to health. A dodgy back and installing air conditioning do not mix! Trying to find something less demanding that pays in the same ball park. Not easy!

Eat your nans pants

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:30 pm

Bad time to leave your job.
Unless you got a back up
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

dste

Post by dste » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:31 pm

I did the same a few years ago, couldn't stand going back to the same place everyday and like yourself it was affecting my personal life.

Felt so good when I left.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

James A

Post by James A » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:45 pm

Great feeling leaving a job you hate only problem is that dosen't last that long and im affraid to say the crushing weight of reality unless you get a job straight away is a complete censored.

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:48 pm

i did the same thing a couple of months ago, hated the job, hated the stuck up atmosphere , and the bitchiness back stabbers, so i just quit.
Left on good terms , just to get a reference,
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:53 pm

Did the same, years ago (my 1st job as well).12 years in Engineering at a place i could'nt stand-Money was good, but long hours and damaged my back, knew i had to make a move there and then.

Never looked back.

Hope you move onto pastures new soon my friend, lot of people looking for work at the moment.Keep us posted.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:11 pm

Find new job. Leave old job.

That's how its supposed to work.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:14 pm

Well hope you find something soon but Rocky must have some major savings to quit his job and not have another one lined up yet

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:36 pm

Did you leave on good enough terms to get a decent reference, fella? 9 years of experience has to count for something.
Yep the reference should be fine

Find new job. Leave old job.
Yep I know but it all came to a head after the death off a 4th family member in as many months could not take it more.

Mrs Rocky still works full time (at the place I just left) we will be ok until I pick something else up. Sent 5 apps out today, I have a mate in recruitment who is keeping his eye out for me
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:40 pm

A brief example of how hard it is to get a job atm.

I applied for a job at JLR at the end of nov 11. First there was an online test, followed by a 2 week wait. Then came a congratulations phone call and an 'invite' to attend a physical assessment the very next day. Complete physical assessment, wait until middle of January, get congratulations phone call and an 'invite' to attend a formal interview the very next day. Attend interview, get grilled in a one to one, drug tested and finally made to complete maths and English tests, all over approx 4 hours. Wait until feb 20th, receive congratulations email stating that I was successful in my interview. And then informed that my score will be collated and compared alongside all the other applicants scores, which will take up to 28 days. Oh and by the way, all this is just for a rolling monthly contract.

As of yet, heard nowt.
Last edited by crusto on Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eat your nans pants

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:03 am

^Got to agree with crusto, it's a proper facking nightmare getting a job these days. :(

You've got to seriously and deeply ask yourself if you made a rash decision there. It might seem great to be away to begin with, but once the money starts to dry up, as do the opportunities, and abject despair sets in...it's really not nice. Not one bit.

You have to learn to get your head around sh!t. You are not your job, your job isn't you. Your job is simply a means of bringing a decent supply of money in, comfort, security, a basic level of pride in yourself. You might face stresses but you can choose to get affected by those stresses and let them f*ck you up, else you can stand back a bit and take a more distanced, considered perspective, and not let those nagging little (usually pointless) stresses shoot you down in flames. You have to separate all that b0ll0cks, transcend it, get a bit zen about it all.

I reckon it's still pretty early, you could probably still get your job back, Rocky (I'm a YouTube sub'r of yours, btw!) - please consider it! ;)

rapidly-greying

Post by rapidly-greying » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:30 am

i hate my job,but collectors editions and kids dont pay for themselves unfortunately. anti depressants and painkilles get me through the days there.

brave move son,or daft, i cant decide.
Keith,Scotland 35,wife n 2 kids,Owned(or own)a NES,SNES,N64,GC,Wii,Gameboy,DS,360,Sega MD,DC+GG,Intellevision, C 64, ZX Spec 48k+,PS1,2+3.Fave games are Zelda,Mario,Leaderboard,Tomb Raider,Bombjack,Pilotwings,Ridge Racer,Ico,Everybody's Golf,DAFC fan.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:12 am

JazzFunk wrote:^Got to agree with crusto, it's a proper facking nightmare getting a job these days. :(
Yeah... been looking five months now myself, and had one interview in that time. Absolutely daft...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...