Your preferred holiday destination

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

crusto

Your preferred holiday destination

Post by crusto » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:45 pm

Im not exactly what you would call 'well travelled' but have been about a bit! From the places ive been, Cyprus is my favourite destination, I've been there about 10 times and even married there! Great weather, great food, clean, very friendly and plenty to do. And it used to be very reasonably priced once you got out there (until they switched to the euro) Should maybe try more places. But why try something new if you are completely happy with what you have? If cost wasnt such a big factor then of course, I would be holidaying more than once every year (or two) and happier to risk wasting a few grand going somewhere I end up not liking.

Other visits include:

Egypt
France
Germany
Luxembourg
Spain
Switzerland
Coventry

Oh, and I will eventually go to Disney World, once my kids are old enough to appreciate it properly.

Eat your nans pants

Rinoa

Re: Your preferred holiday destination

Post by Rinoa » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:28 am

I love going abroad, but not really been to many different places:

Zante
Crete
Norway
Lanzarote
France
Amsterdam
Malta

My favourite family holidays as a kid were Norway and Lanzarote. I have a lot of family in Norway so those holidays were always a lot of fun, and totally different to your normal summer destinations. We almost even moved there, but that fell through at the last minute.

My other favourite destination is quite easily Amsterdam. Amazing city and people. Can't wait to go back there.

I really want to go to Japan too, but want a proper 3-4 week holiday over there, which will take a while to save up for...

My worst destination is France. Been there 3 times now, and hopefully never again.

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:42 am

Rinoa wrote:
My other favourite destination is quite easily Amsterdam. Amazing city and people. Can't wait to go back there.

My worst destination is France. Been there 3 times now, and hopefully never again.
Im the total opposite of that. I hated Amsterdam. Couldnt wait to come home.

Where as when me and the wife visited Paris we loved every minute of it.

Personally ive been to:

Spain
Belgium
America
France
Netherlands

I was offered a free holiday (well, pay for the flight) in Hong Kong this year because my friend is based there for 12 months, but then we found out were expecting so that was cancelled.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:33 am

Love going on holiday me, it's where I spend most of my cash. Last few years I've been to:

Lithuania
Barcelona
Madrid
Pamplona (did the bull run - amazing)
San Sebastian
Munich (did Oktoberfest - amazing)
Berlin
Hamburg

Longer haul:

Thailand (honeymoon)
Vietnam (honeymoon)
China

In July I'm going to Dublin (to see Bruce Springsteen), then I'm off to Singapore, Cambodia and Malaysia. I love traveling, and when you die you can't take your money with you, so spend it on stuff you like. Well, that's my view anyway.
Last edited by greenberet79 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:34 am

I don't really care where, but I must get away this year. Not been away since Feb 2009. Would love to do the whole Disney theme park bit again or Vegas, but I reckon somewhere less active is more likely.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:36 am

STranger81 wrote:I was offered a free holiday (well, pay for the flight) in Hong Kong this year because my friend is based there for 12 months, but then we found out were expecting so that was cancelled.
I got a free trip to Hong Kong out of work a couple a years ago and it was one of the best holidays I've ever had. Hong Kong is amazing. The food is incredible, there's so much to see and the exchange rate is excellent. Really incredibly simple to get around too.

I've also been to:

Italy - Everyone needs to see Rome at least once. Really well laid out, you can walk to all of the major sights. Those Romans knew a thing or two about making a city tourist friendly :lol: I have family in Caserta, but I wouldn't recommend it. It does have that palace where they filmed Phantom Menace though. Pompeii is nearby and is amazing. Naples is also nearby, but it is dirty, smelly and dangerous.

America - Atlanta, more precisely. I liked it, but there's not a huge amount to do there. There's the Coke factory, the CNN centre, erm...the airport. Still, I like American food and there's plenty of that in Atlanta!

Germany - In February. Not recommended.

South Africa - Not so much a holiday as I was born there, but it still counts!

TBH, I tend to prefer to stay in Britain for my holidays. London, Cornwall, Scotland that sort of thing. I, too, would like to get to Japan at some point.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:47 am

Anywhere in Greece. Love the place.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

delbert_trout

Post by delbert_trout » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:57 am

It'd definitely be Memphis, Tennessee for me. Visit all the blues clubs in Beale St, Graceland, the Gibson guitar factory etc - of course, I'll be needing to get myself a passport first :oops:
http://www.retrogamer.net/user/delbert_trout

When you think you've got problems you don't really need,
They're maybe not as bad as they seem,
Cos in a world full of misery, with hatred and greed,
Your problems are another man's dream.

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:08 am

The big kid in me wants to go to Florida again and tour all the themeparks. :D

But actually my prefered destination would be Hong Kong, I'm just fascinated with the place, I've never been but I actualy already know it better than any city in the UK.

I've never really been into beach holidays where you just lie in the sun and drink beer all day, I much prefer to visit places and do stuff.

Places I've been so far:

France (several places including Paris)
Rep. Of Ireland (3 times)
America (Florida, and New York)
Crete
Greece (Athens)
Israel (Jerusalem and surrounding area including Bethlehem and Galilee)
Eygpt (Cairo)
Turkey (can't remember specifically where)
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

astaroth

Post by astaroth » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:05 am

Corfu

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:08 am

Been to a quite a few places but !

America (orlando) was great , designed purely for tourists and holiday makers , which is a good thing , dead easy to get round , loads to do , great theme parks , water parks and never bored for a minute over there.

Portaventura (near salou) is also great , stayed at El Paso and Caribe hotels - theres loads of rides , boat trips , a couple of cracking water parks , a brilliant go karting track and its not to far from Barcelona so been to watch them a couple of times , also if you want to see a bit more of "old spain" your not to far (a 30 minute journey ) from a load of old villages and mountain side cafes etc .

Those aren't relaxing holidays though - I dont do them yet ! :D
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:20 am

cyprus

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:59 am

The past three years I've been to London, just for the convenience and cheapness (£14 Megabus return, staying on the floor of a relative's living room). Going to TRY and get to Lyons (France) this year, to see a castle built by a postman.

Don't really like heat, so my ULTIMATE aim for a holiday would be Siberia - the stuff I've read about the place makes it sound like the best place on the planet!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:00 am

sirclive1 wrote:Portaventura (near salou) is also great , stayed at El Paso and Caribe hotels - theres loads of rides , boat trips , a couple of cracking water parks , a brilliant go karting track and its not to far from Barcelona so been to watch them a couple of times
I forgot I'd been there until you mentioned it :lol:

I didn't leave the UK until I was 23, in 5 years I went to:
Dublin
Belfast
France (3 times and lived there for a couple of months)
Germany
Amsterdam
Austria
Poland
Switzerland
Italy
Greece
Spain (twice)
Majorca (3 times)
America (twice, once with work) - Orlando/Boston/Dallas - I had to go to Boston to see Cheers in the flesh and eat a "Norm" burger :lol:

Haven't been on holiday in almost 5 years and my passport expires this year :( The plan for me before I go abroad again is to tour the highlands and islands, getting around is cheap it's just accommodation that may be an issue. Then I'd like to see Scandanavia.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:27 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:cyprus
What part, Paphos, Ayia Napa or somewhere else?

Eat your nans pants