FORMULA ONE 2012 thread...

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

markopoloman

FORMULA ONE 2012 thread...

Post by markopoloman » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:01 am

It's nearly time for the 5 red lights to go out - and another season to begin.

Only 4 days until 1st practice in Australia :D

Over the pre-season tests we haven't seen any team showing the kind of dominance that Red Bull showed for the previous 2 years. In fact, RedBull and Mclaren haven't showed at the top of the time sheets at all! (I presume plenty of sand bagging has been going on here).
The cars (except McLaren and Virgin) look hideous with the new stepped noses, Ferrari look like they are struggling big time and Renault (now Lotus) look like the team on the move.............

I said I would NEVER buy into the Sky deal (I hate them for the F1 deal done with the Beeb - and I hate the Beeb too) - but due to my love of the sport I had to do it :roll: Now the Beeb will not get one second of my time on their poxy coverage. Sky sold it to me with the news of other motor sport being shown (F2 F3 etc.) , no adverts during the race, Martin Brundle and some very good pre-season programs being shown. Bye bye all that money :(

Anyway - Who's going to be watching the new season? Should be a corker with 6 world champs driving.....................

BUTTON FTW :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Liamh1982

Re: FORMULA ONE 2012 thread...

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:51 am

Don't have Sky, and Justin.tv isn't as good as it used to be either now it's sort of legit. :(
So - can't watch half the races live, most of the cars this year are as ugly as sin, no more Brundle on the Beeb - seems I'm going to stick to the radio this season. Ah well, at least it means I won't have to see "The Finger"! :lol:

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:52 am

I was looking to upgrade to Sky HD as the F1 channel is free with that package. It seems sky has cheekily doubled the price of the HD box just in time for the season to start.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:59 am

Yeah, I pretty much told myself I would stick with the Beeb for the races they're showing, but after seeing the pre-season warm up shows on Sky F1, I will watch all my F1 on Sky. The theme song they have chosen sucks goat balls though.

Sadly, as a Ferrari supporter, I think I'm in for a disappointing season again. :(

After watching Top Gear last night I'm kinda happy to see Kimi again. I love how he doesn't seem to give a censored. I'll never forget that one Monaco he crashed out and then just went to his boat and drank champagne for the rest of the race :lol:

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:52 am

I have been enjoying the F1 channel so far - they have shown the season reviews for 88 to 91!

Its amazing to see Mansell in a Ferrari and I cant believe how many cars fail to finish - Its also funny watching the drivers using a gear stick!!

Anyway, am looking forward to the 2012 season very much....

And don't forget my tip of the day - always record the live broadcast - if there is a serious crash they prob won't show it again!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:46 am

I hate Sky with a passion, so there was never any chance of me buying the F1 channel. They got on my list when they temporarily took Sky 1 off me a few years ago (I have Virgin Media), and now they are ruining F1 for me.

I'll be watching it on the BBC (when available). They have always had excellent coverage.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:00 am

I have sky HD so I am getting the new F1 channel for "free" there was no way in hell I would be paying for it. I watched one the pre season programs it was ok I am not a fan of Brundle at all and was hoping he would go but I was not that lucky. At one point they had some blonde bird dressed all in leather interviewing Button (make what you will off that). To be fair it looks like Sky very spent ££££ on the channel and it does look very nice in HD. The new cars look stupid like a kids design. I think it will be a Red Bull 1,2 with Button in 3rd, Hamilton will leave Mclaren at the end of the season and end up at one off the smaller teams.
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:40 am

I upgraded my Sky package to include the sports channels(just for F1). Damn you BBC! Here is the irony, the viewing figures were up for F1 and also the Beeb is wasting an enormous amount of money over the Salford move! I get the feeling that F1 might be on Sky for a few years then move back to terrestrial TV. But anyway.

It is great to see Kimi back. I loved his interview with Martin Brundle about Schumi's leaving do! "I was busy taking a ****!". :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: He is a great driver and did deserve his championship in 2007. He is the 'Spa Master'. Great seeing his interview on Top Gear as well. Plus, I like the fact that he said a lot of the new tracks were dull to drive(they are dull to watch as well!). I hope he does well. I think his Lotus will be a midfield car. I think his highest place will be a 4th.

I think I will watch most of the races on Sky. I will watch 'the full races' on the BBC. Just to see what it is like. The US Austin track does look quite interesting, it actually has elevation change! Shame the Beeb aren't showing that one live. Mr. Tilke might have done a good job there. I bet the attendance won't be high though.

My other predictions(just a bit of fun - I might be wrong):-

1. Red Bull will win the constructor's championship. Although, I think it will be a tighter season this time.
2. Vettel will get his third WDC. He just seems to be on another level compared to the drivers. I don't think he will win as much as last year, or get as many poles, but he is still going to be very strong.
3. Webber will win twice this year. He will leave Red Bull at the end of the year.
4. Vettel will win the Monaco Grand Prix.
5. I think McLaren will take the 2nd spot in the WDC. Ferrari 3rd with Mercedes in 4th, then Lotus 5th.
6. Jenson will be runner-up again. One of his race wins will be in a wet/dry race.
7. There will be 2 wet weather races this season.
8. Lewis will have 3 DNFs due to crashing into someone. I like Lewis, but he seems a little too rash at times. As good as he is, I don't think he has ever driven as well as he did, than in his maiden season in 2007. I think he will be 3rd in the WDC.
9. Alonso will make the Ferrari competitive by mid- season(seems to be the way with them). I think he will get 2 race wins this season. He won't be in the hunt for the championship, sadly.
10. Massa will leave F1 by the end of the season.
11. Rosberg will get a podium for Mercedes. I think it will be in a wet weather race.
12. Schumi will get beaten again by Rosberg and finally hang up his racing overalls for good.
13. Schumi will have a 'you can't pass me' moment this season. I think it will be with his former nemesis Alonso.
14. Martin Brundle will say : "An F1 car is like an upside down aeroplane wing." 4 times this season.
15. David Coutlhard will say : "That is Vettel as in kettle." 5 times this season.
16. Bernie will go on about how much better Sky's coverage is - yes Bernie - "Show me the money!" :evil:
17. Bahrain GP will go ahead. Again, Bernie needs the money.
18. Vettel will continue with his 'finger' celebration.
19. Alonso will do that clapping hand thingy celebration when he wins.
20. Adrian Sutil will complain about Hamilton in an interview.
21. Vettel will win the WDC with 3 races to go.
22. Lewis will stay with McLaren at the end of the season. Realistically he has nowhere else to go. Alonso and him can't work together. Red Bull is Vettel's team. Plus, he need a strong drive and McLaren can provide that.
23. There will be no new winners for this season.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:23 am

Sky were in town (aka Liverpool city centre) at lunch, announcing "free Sky today" and they had various F1 banners around.

They rang me last week and offered me sky sports for a year half price (tenner a month). I said no. I sort of regret it now, even though I don't need Sky Sports.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:05 pm

Ive not paid any attention to the build up for this season, such is the scorn at having split coverage. I really, just cant be bothered with it
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

Stainy

Post by Stainy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:44 am

My brother in law gave me one of his sky go slots :) the pre season show was good. Bundle had to make the move over to Sky for me to watch it..

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:18 pm

Only one 24 hours to go until FP1 :D :D

I feel like a kid waiting for Zzap!64 to arrive :lol:

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:56 pm

Well after looking on the Sky website its actually cheaper for me to upgrade to SkyHD than it is to add the sports package.

Free SkyHD box and delivery an extra £10.25 a month compared to £20 a month for the sports package. I'll only miss Saturdays race as it wont be here till next Tues so not too bad.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:57 pm

Nearly there....................................................

Rain expected too - so STILL no one will know who has the fastest car!

Stainy

Post by Stainy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:29 am

Interesting so far...
Come on Schumacker!!