Why was the Atari Jaguar such a massive FAIL ?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

retrojc

Re: Why was the Atari Jaguar such a massive FAIL ?

Post by retrojc » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:43 pm

resident paul wrote:
ReplayRetro wrote:someone mentioned the Jags VR headset somewhere back before the 3rd or 4th wave of arguing
The headset looked really impressive and from what i understand (spoken to an owner of a prototype) it actually worked very well as the sensors could track the movement of your head and thus change the image on the screen to follow that movement, unfortunately it was just a bit slow and so quite disorienting, surely todays tech could make a much more responsive and therefore perfectly functional system? combine that with the impressive display tech we have these days and you could make something pretty darned awesome, heck throw some AR in there and you have a piece of tech i'd sell a few toes for
It was pretty heavy as well & after wearing it took about 1/2 hr for my eyes back to normal!
Friend of mine coded something liek this for use in the Unreal engine.
And i;m pretty proficient at Ar programming ;) well, kind of haha

Paulie

Post by Paulie » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:12 pm

Bad timing and a lack of good games.

It has a handfull of real gems and I do mean gems (the prob is we all know what they are) and after I got bored of those there was'nt a lot to keep me going back or new to discover which is a shame cos I really do like the Jag. I think everyone should own a jag at some point, but for me she was'nt a keeper, but still great fun whilst it lasted.
My trade/sale thread (Includes my feedback)

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=23510

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:18 pm

Paulie wrote:Bad timing and a lack of good games.

It has a handfull of real gems and I do mean gems (the prob is we all know what they are) and after I got bored of those there was'nt a lot to keep me going back or new to discover which is a shame cos I really do like the Jag. I think everyone should own a jag at some point, but for me she was'nt a keeper, but still great fun whilst it lasted.
You know what I think thats the half the problem with the Jaguar, people think they know what the systems best games are - you always hear Tempest 2000, AVP, Doom etc. mentioned. But I think many of the Jaguar's best games are the ones you never hear people mention unless they are collectors like Battlemorph, Gorf, Hoverstrike CD, Missile Command 3D, Zero 5 and Protector: Special Edition.

freemonk

Post by freemonk » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:01 am

Jagfest_UK wrote:
Paulie wrote:Bad timing and a lack of good games.

You know what I think thats the half the problem with the Jaguar, people think they know what the systems best games are - you always hear Tempest 2000, AVP, Doom etc. mentioned. But I think many of the Jaguar's best games are the ones you never hear people mention unless they are collectors like Battlemorph, Gorf, Hoverstrike CD, Missile Command 3D, Zero 5 and Protector: Special Edition.
Don't forget Kasumi Ninja....how better can a game get when it has a Scotsman blowing farts from his kilt?
WANTED: Spiderman: Web of Shadows (X360) / Mario Party 4 to 7 (GC) / Pikmin 2 (GC) / Muscle Bomber (SFC) / Bonkers (SNES) / Nosferatu (SNES) / Scramble (Vectrex) / Einhander (PS1) / Patapon 3 (PSP) / Sin and Punishment 2 (Wii)

ReplayRetro

Post by ReplayRetro » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:26 am

Jagfest_UK wrote:
totally agree, i only have 3 CD games (battlemorph, hoverstrike & myst) and as a cd system it comes into its own, its clear that those who chose to stick at it and use the systems hardware could have got more out of it given time
i've seen a few other cd games in videos and again they all seem good, i just can't really afford to get hold of any at the moment
Visit www.youtube.com/replayretro . why? well erm, cos it would be awfully friendly of you to take a look i guess, you don't have to though, nobody will make you *sob sob*

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:37 am

Jagfest_UK wrote: But I think many of the Jaguar's best games are the ones you never hear people mention unless they are collectors like Battlemorph, Gorf, Hoverstrike CD, Missile Command 3D, Zero 5 and Protector: Special Edition.
These games coem down to taste though, as all bar gorf I found sub par

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:43 am

retrojc wrote:
Jagfest_UK wrote: But I think many of the Jaguar's best games are the ones you never hear people mention unless they are collectors like Battlemorph, Gorf, Hoverstrike CD, Missile Command 3D, Zero 5 and Protector: Special Edition.
Well they always go down exceptionally well at shows.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:45 am

retrojc wrote:
Please name a game from any platform that doesn't "come down to taste"? :?

Oh, and the Jag CD conversion of GORF is arcade perfect so your opinion of it being "sub par" (sic) is more a reflection of the arcade game, not the quality of the Jag CD conversion.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:26 pm

retrojc wrote:
Ahh, but at these shows, I'm sure it's all Atari lovers though? ;)
DreamcastRIP wrote: Please name a game from any platform that doesn't "come down to taste"? :?

Oh, and the Jag CD conversion of GORF is arcade perfect so your opinion of it being "sub par" (sic) is more a reflection of the arcade game, not the quality of the Jag CD conversion.

Well done for stating the obvious. It was me politely disgreeing that I found all but one of the games jagfest listed as sub par. Should I really need to reitterate that everything i say is an opinion?

And, i said all of the games apart from Gorf were sub par. Please, read what I say properly. i know my english is poor, as i type far to quickly, but y'know the jist of what i said was there.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:13 pm

retrojc wrote:Ahh, but at these shows, I'm sure it's all Atari lovers though? ;)
Nope.

The last 5 shows I went to were all general retro shows.

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:17 pm

Atari Jaguar .. playable: Wolfenstein 3d, Doom, Tempest 2000

ugly unplayable abominations: Every other game

Boom, and we are done!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:06 pm

retrojc wrote:And, i said all of the games apart from Gorf were sub par. Please, read what I say properly. i know my english is poor, as i type far to quickly, but y'know the jist of what i said was there.
My apologies, I misread what you'd posted.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:07 pm

ChipTune wrote:Atari Jaguar .. playable: Wolfenstein 3d, Doom, Tempest 2000

ugly unplayable abominations: Every other game

Boom, and we are done!
How, exactly are:Skyhammer, AVP and Iron Solider 'unplayable'? let alone Jaguar versions of Rayman, Syndicate, Theme Park, Flashback, Raiden and so forth.

Games and indeed format may not be to your liking, but IF your going to make such a sweeping statement, at least try and provide some sense of reasoning.

Jaguar has some absolute dross on it, but to class everything bar a select few titles as unplayable...come off it, that's just using the T-word (and yes, i'm aware of the irony of posting a reply).If you'd said something like 'The vast majority of other games just don't use the hardware or are dissapointing' i'd have agreed with you, to a point.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:00 pm

I think he was being sarcastic, or atleast facetious Vulture dude... :wink:

I don't have any experience of the Jaguar personally and TBH aren't really bothered about it.

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:02 pm

I know the Jag had more flaws than you could shake a stick shaped object at, but it still want one.

Couldn't tell you why though. :?
HADDOCKEN!