Why was the Atari Jaguar such a massive FAIL ?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Post Reply
User avatar
ChipTune
Posts: 2160
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Bristol
Contact:

Why was the Atari Jaguar such a massive FAIL ?

Post by ChipTune » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:23 pm

Im just curious as to why this console was / is so very very bad.

Ive tried to play every console out there and have owned every one of note at some point or another, even CDi and 3DO, which were fun for a bit but after a few weeks needed to be ditched.

But the Jaguar, other than having decent ports of DOOM & wolfenstein, and Tempest 2000, is absolutely monkey balls.. Im baffled by how Atari thought they could get away with this. Watching youtube videos of 50 Jaguar games I was shocked by how they look like Amiga 500 games, the 3d games, especially car ones, look like something from an upgraded Super NES or something.. and look like a generation BEHIND the sony playstation and Sega Saturn.

The games are all either ports of 16-bit games like Bubsy and Baldies (not even good 16-bit games either), or 3d worlds that are empty and grim to look at.

I owned one back in the day and loved the aforementioned ports, and I also liked Alien vs Predator, although today it is a sad, sluggish affair, best left to nostalgia.

I think the Jaguar is probably the worst console Ive ever played on, and has the worst controller I have ever seen or used too.. It's like a mobile phone from from the 1800's.

Why was it claimed to be 64-bit in a shameless piece of deliberately misleading propaganda? In all honestly it looks a Mega Drive trying to do N64 graphics. Weak. Thank god Atari's run of shocking poor hardware and games died with this abomination as god only knows what crudbox they would be hawking these days to compete with the PS3 & Xbox 360.. probably something with the power of the Dreamcast, only with no decent games.
Image

User avatar
ReplayRetro
Posts: 1074
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:38 am
Location: Leeds

Re: Why was the Atari Jaguar such a massive FAIL ?

Post by ReplayRetro » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:44 pm

I firmly believe the Jag did actually pack some performance under its hood, but nobody knew how to get the best from it because the design was so complex, every now and again the system had a game which gave a hint at what it could do and don't forget no system really shows itself to be a true step up in the first year of its life, you always have to wait a while for the real power to be used and sadly i don't think the Jag ever had a chance to do this.
Competitors systems were easier to code for and get more from so developers preferred working with them. There are some games though which gave an early indication that the system really had potential, especially if like me you're the proud owner of a JagCD, where we see early games like cybermorph upgraded to the fantastic battlemorph, the pack in game Blue lightning also showed real promise but the fact is the system didn't hold on long enough to ever be used to its full potential. I'd love to see what someone could get out of it if they really really tried
Visit www.youtube.com/replayretro . why? well erm, cos it would be awfully friendly of you to take a look i guess, you don't have to though, nobody will make you *sob sob*

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26810
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Why was the Atari Jaguar such a massive FAIL ?

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:27 pm

Its an interim system. You said yourself Chppy that it was like an upgraded SNES. Its just a step on from the 16 bit computers and consoles. It could have been great, but development shifted to the Saturn and PS1.

I know I was mad keen on the Jag until I started reading about the newer systems coming soon and just how much more powerful they'd be.

Had it not been followed by the Saturn and PS1, it might have dated less.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
jdanddiet
Posts: 9016
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:03 am
Location: Essex
Contact:

Re: Why was the Atari Jaguar such a massive FAIL ?

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:33 pm

'cos it was rubbish!

*note to jagfest - this is a joke
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

User avatar
DreamcastRIP
Posts: 9376
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:40 am
Location: England

Re: Why was the Atari Jaguar such a massive FAIL ?

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:35 pm

ChipTune wrote:Why was it claimed to be 64-bit in a shameless piece of deliberately misleading propaganda?
Er, because it was 64-bit!

A stronger case could perhaps be levelled against Nintendo for employing the "shameless piece of deliberately misleading propaganda" strategy with the SNES which wasn't really a 16-bit console if truth be told.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14969
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: Why was the Atari Jaguar such a massive FAIL ?

Post by Megamixer » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:45 pm

Just how many threads/topics can there be about the Jag being 'crap'? It's all I seem to be reading about on here over the last few months :roll: . Can we give something else a turn and have a bash at the CD-i? :P

Also, I don't get why people give two hoots about 'bits' anyway because they mean nothing from a gamers P.O.V. It was just willy waving from corporations to make their products sound better. After all, both the Jaguar and N64 were classed as 64bit machines but look at the technical gulf between the two. Besides, nobody talks about 'bits' anymore. When was the last time somebody compared the 'bits' of a PS3 and 360 to decide which was better?

It's all very well being '64bit' but if the system architechture and other components are no good to the game programmers then it means nothing.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: Why was the Atari Jaguar such a massive FAIL ?

Post by The Laird » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:50 pm

A better question would be why you are such a massive troll but thats a debate for another day so maybe we should ask why you seem to post constant bile directed towards Atari? Did Nolan Bushnell touch you in a naughty place when you were a kid or something? :roll:

User avatar
BennyTheGreek
Posts: 2256
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:01 pm
Location: you dont care

Re: Why was the Atari Jaguar such a massive FAIL ?

Post by BennyTheGreek » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:52 pm

I have a Jag and a few games and I really like it....

Yes the controller is one of the worst designed, it doesn't seem to be the most reliable console ever (my current jag is my 3rd) and the picture quality through the rf lead is horrible (I made a bodge s video cable for mine and it nw looks lovely)

The games I have are very playable, cybermorph, doom, wolfenstein, bubsy and all the machine needed was a few more killer apps.....

I haven't even played the highest rated games for the jag, but I can honestly say that power drive rally has had as much play from me than any game on any other console.

It was a fail because there weren't enough top games released and the games were too expensive at the time (and still are)

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14969
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: Why was the Atari Jaguar such a massive FAIL ?

Post by Megamixer » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:17 pm

What's a reasonable price to pay for a Jaguar anyway? Been looking at getting hold of one and ebay seems full of competition for used consoles or has brand-new ones for prices I'm not willing to stretch to.

Not bothered about having the original box or anything, as long as everything's there and in tidy condition - that'll do me :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: Why was the Atari Jaguar such a massive FAIL ?

Post by The Laird » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:34 pm

Megamixer wrote:What's a reasonable price to pay for a Jaguar anyway? Been looking at getting hold of one and ebay seems full of competition for used consoles or has brand-new ones for prices I'm not willing to stretch to.

Not bothered about having the original box or anything, as long as everything's there and in tidy condition - that'll do me :)
Jag and 1 game and a pad - anything less than £50 is great

They are very sought after these days.

Really only 2 big things with Jags:

- Make sure they have the proper PSU because if you use another it will fry the motherboard
- RF is crap so you will want to buy a scart lead and they are not cheap

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14969
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: Why was the Atari Jaguar such a massive FAIL ?

Post by Megamixer » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:37 pm

Jagfest_UK wrote:
Megamixer wrote:What's a reasonable price to pay for a Jaguar anyway? Been looking at getting hold of one and ebay seems full of competition for used consoles or has brand-new ones for prices I'm not willing to stretch to.

Not bothered about having the original box or anything, as long as everything's there and in tidy condition - that'll do me :)
Jag and 1 game and a pad - anything less than £50 is great

They are very sought after these days.

Really only 2 big things with Jags:

- Make sure they have the proper PSU because if you use another it will fry the motherboard
- RF is crap so you will want to buy a scart lead and they are not cheap
Cool, cheers for the advice. Didn't think some of the £70 consoles were worth that much. As for the scart cables, I've seen them at over £50 :shock: . I might be forced to suffer crappy RF though as paying that sort of money for a cable? Ugh...

Are there not any specialists who make them from scratch these days? I seem to remember buying pretty cheap RGB Saturn cables and replacement 32X leads from ebay sellers who made them up from scratch.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: Why was the Atari Jaguar such a massive FAIL ?

Post by The Laird » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:45 pm

Megamixer wrote:Cool, cheers for the advice. Didn't think some of the £70 consoles were worth that much. As for the scart cables, I've seen them at over £50 :shock: . I might be forced to suffer crappy RF though as paying that sort of money for a cable? Ugh...

Are there not any specialists who make them from scratch these days? I seem to remember buying pretty cheap RGB Saturn cables and replacement 32X leads from ebay sellers who made them up from scratch.
There are a few but as the other Jag thread wehad going proved, most of them are crap. If you look around and are prepared to wait you can get the Scart cables for £20-£30. Telegames have the ribbon type ones for £20 which are not brilliant but still better then RF - http://www.telegames.co.uk/shop/index.p ... =324_69_70

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14969
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: Why was the Atari Jaguar such a massive FAIL ?

Post by Megamixer » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:48 pm

Jagfest_UK wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Cool, cheers for the advice. Didn't think some of the £70 consoles were worth that much. As for the scart cables, I've seen them at over £50 :shock: . I might be forced to suffer crappy RF though as paying that sort of money for a cable? Ugh...

Are there not any specialists who make them from scratch these days? I seem to remember buying pretty cheap RGB Saturn cables and replacement 32X leads from ebay sellers who made them up from scratch.
There are a few but as the other Jag thread wehad going proved, most of them are crap. If you look around and are prepared to wait you can get the Scart cables for £20-£30. Telegames have the ribbon type ones for £20 which are not brilliant but still better then RF - http://www.telegames.co.uk/shop/index.p ... =324_69_70
Alright, will keep it all in mind. Think my best bet is to just get a reasonably priced system and some games first and see how I get on with it before splashing out any serious money on better cables.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
ToxieDogg
Posts: 8356
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:54 am
Location: Vice City, a.k.a. 'Liverpool'

Re: Why was the Atari Jaguar such a massive FAIL ?

Post by ToxieDogg » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:52 pm

Jagfest_UK wrote:maybe we should ask why you seem to post constant bile directed towards Atari? Did Nolan Bushnell touch you in a naughty place when you were a kid or something? :roll:
Maybe we should also ask why you seem to post constant bile directed towards Nintendo? Did Shigeru Miyamoto touch you in a naughty playce when you were a kid or something? :roll:
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: Why was the Atari Jaguar such a massive FAIL ?

Post by The Laird » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:00 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:
Jagfest_UK wrote:maybe we should ask why you seem to post constant bile directed towards Atari? Did Nolan Bushnell touch you in a naughty place when you were a kid or something? :roll:
Maybe we should also ask why you seem to post constant bile directed towards Nintendo? Did Shigeru Miyamoto touch you in a naughty playce when you were a kid or something? :roll:
I must have missed that so please show me. I don't like Nintendo games and don't hide that but I sure don't go around starting threads just to cause flame wars.

Go visit the site I am involved in and you will see I have started many positive Nintendo related threads there.

And at least when I do post something I base it on facts unlike the nonsense posted here.
Last edited by The Laird on Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest