Reading old mags on tablet

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Igorthegreen

Re: Reading old mags on tablet

Post by Igorthegreen » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:55 pm

retrosofer wrote:I haven't got a tablet, but i use my Kindle to read old mags which are in the PDF format and it works absolutely brilliently. Ok so its not in colour, but it doesn't matter as the image quality is so crisp and sharp, i couldn't imagine using any other device to read magazine scans. Only thing is with the Kindle, the PDF documents have to be their source size, if they are compressed in any way to reduce the file size then the quality is compromised, image quality will be very poor and text will be distorted when zooming in. But keeping the PDF document their natural size and everythings fine.
Cool! I have a Kindle... With what program do you convert your pdf's to mobi? I tried with several pdf's, but when there's ocr in them, my Kindle seems to get confused...

Cheers!
Join my '8-BIT KIDS' book Kickstarter at http://tinyurl.com/c64club

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:52 am

Calibre is the usual tool for ebook conversion.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:22 am

psj3809 wrote:^Surely you could imagine using another device so its in colour though ! ;) It wouldnt be so bad with old Crash scans as a lot of it was in black and white, but for any of the latest magazine scans/comic book scans etc it would be criminal to only view it in black and white and not colour
Well one of the best advantages of the Kindle and Eink technology is that you can look at the screen all day long and it wont hurt your eyes or make them feel like they are going to pop out your head. But i can agree, colour Eink technology is already here, but non of the major manofacturers that make the popular Ereading devices has used it yet, but once they do, all they'll need to do then is improve the refresh rate.
With the black & white (greyscale) it really doesn't bother me, alot of the colour pictures in magazine actually show up better and look far more detailed in B&W than they do in colour, so i'm not bothered by it really.

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:31 am

Igorthegreen wrote:
retrosofer wrote:I haven't got a tablet, but i use my Kindle to read old mags which are in the PDF format and it works absolutely brilliently. Ok so its not in colour, but it doesn't matter as the image quality is so crisp and sharp, i couldn't imagine using any other device to read magazine scans. Only thing is with the Kindle, the PDF documents have to be their source size, if they are compressed in any way to reduce the file size then the quality is compromised, image quality will be very poor and text will be distorted when zooming in. But keeping the PDF document their natural size and everythings fine.
Cool! I have a Kindle... With what program do you convert your pdf's to mobi? I tried with several pdf's, but when there's ocr in them, my Kindle seems to get confused...

Cheers!
As Antiriad2097 said, Calibre is the defacto file converter for Ereaders, it can convert any of the known Ereader book formats into each other to use on any device, and can also convert stuff to PDF as well as from it, its also a free peice of software to.

I'm not sure what Ereader you are using? Not sure what you mean by PDF having ocr in it either? But with the Kindle at least, i dont convert the PDF's, i leave them as they are as the Kindle can read PDF documents perfectly, so its great for studying to. Also dont try to compress the PDF's as this will compromise the image quality, so all text will look distorted and unreadable when zooming in/enlarging to read it. Another thing to consider is that PDF's have a certain structure and design to them so converting them to mobi might give less than faverable results, its worth trying though i guess.