Reading old mags on tablet

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Igorthegreen

Reading old mags on tablet

Post by Igorthegreen » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:26 am

Hi

anyone any experience with reading scanned mags like ZZap!64 on a tablet? I've the scanned Zzap's on pdf, and wonder if it's a comfortable read. I don't like reading on my pc...

Thnx!
Join my '8-BIT KIDS' book Kickstarter at http://tinyurl.com/c64club

tachi

Re: Reading old mags on tablet

Post by tachi » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:36 am

Can't comment on tablet read but have about 100 Zzap, CF and Sega Power on my Iphone and find it more than comfortable with the aid of zoom but it depends on eyesight and patience I guess?
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

RetroRevival

Post by RetroRevival » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:21 am

I asked the same question a while ago here and on other forums. Had a play with a few tablets, and as reading on the tube / train was a big part of the reason for the purchase for me, I bit the bullet and got hold of an iPad 2. Regardless of what anyone says the screen size and resolution blows anything else I tried out of the water. The Galaxy Tab was close, but I was looking at paying out the same kind of money without the apps support, so went with the iPad 2

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:30 am

I have all the Zzaps in pdf format on my iPad2 and using iBooks find it excellent. Even without zooming too much I find it easy to read and am very impressed with it all round..

Have got Crash, CU, and some others to read next.. :)

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:44 am

Am I the only person who read the title of this thread as "Reading old mags on toilet"?
Going Solo...................

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:54 am

The Hardest of All Freds wrote:Am I the only person who read the title of this thread as "Reading old mags on toilet"?
Worryingly, no...

Igorthegreen

Post by Igorthegreen » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:33 pm

Treguard wrote:
The Hardest of All Freds wrote:Am I the only person who read the title of this thread as "Reading old mags on toilet"?
Worryingly, no...
ROTFL... Who's to blame? ;-)

Cheers for the comments! I thought Ipad would be best followed by Samsung. Cheers!
Join my '8-BIT KIDS' book Kickstarter at http://tinyurl.com/c64club

Dominoid

Post by Dominoid » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:19 pm

We have an Acer Iconia A500 tablet and it's great for reading. I've worked through about 2 years worth of Amstrad Action on it so far.

K1NGARTH3R

Post by K1NGARTH3R » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:51 am

This is something I've been wanting to do for ages. I'm guessing iBooks would be best for keeping them in one place and looking great on the bookshelf :)

Is there anything similar to iBooks for files in CBR format? I know there are Comic Book Readers for the iPad/iPhone but are they as good as iBooks?

Is it worth converting the magazines to .pdf?

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:42 am

Comic Zeal is great for reading and importing your own .cbr files. Pricey but worth it

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:28 am

nope!
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Wil

Post by Wil » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:11 am

psj3809 wrote:Comic Zeal is great for reading and importing your own .cbr files. Pricey but worth it
I'll put in a vote for Comic Zeal, too. Handles .pdf .cbr and.cbz files excellently. I've tried pretty much all these readers now on my iPad2 and it's worth the money.

RetroRevival

Post by RetroRevival » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:17 pm

Is it worth converting the magazines to .pdf?
Yes 100%

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:21 am

I haven't got a tablet, but i use my Kindle to read old mags which are in the PDF format and it works absolutely brilliently. Ok so its not in colour, but it doesn't matter as the image quality is so crisp and sharp, i couldn't imagine using any other device to read magazine scans. Only thing is with the Kindle, the PDF documents have to be their source size, if they are compressed in any way to reduce the file size then the quality is compromised, image quality will be very poor and text will be distorted when zooming in. But keeping the PDF document their natural size and everythings fine.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:24 am

^Surely you could imagine using another device so its in colour though ! ;) It wouldnt be so bad with old Crash scans as a lot of it was in black and white, but for any of the latest magazine scans/comic book scans etc it would be criminal to only view it in black and white and not colour