random claims to fame

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

mainvein

random claims to fame

Post by mainvein » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:04 pm

just wondering what peoples claim to fames are on here, mine are:

met tosh from the bill, he moved to my hometown and proceeded to be very drunk and fell over a lot
i swapped Roy Wood from wizzard two 10ps for a 20p piece in the pub
i directed Richard whitely in my student film
i used to have David Prowse (darth vader/green cross code man) number in my phone, asked him to be in my student film and he phoned me up, had to give him the bad news that i had already filmed whitely (seemed like really nice chap)

sure there are a few more, anyone beat my z listers :lol:

JetSetWilly

Re: random claims to fame

Post by JetSetWilly » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:09 pm

Archer Maclean signed one of my Spectrum Games Bibles at the first ever retro event I went to 4 years ago....which I have now not got :cry:
Met Gary Wilmot at a charity football thingy in Cheshunt about 19 years ago.
And I also met ex-Leicester football star David Wilkie (I hope I got his name right :lol: ) in Harlow Tesco and got his autograph about 18-20 years ago.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:15 pm

I was the first person to put the band Gallows onto a CD (technically the CD never came out as it was going to be on an issue of the fanzine I wrote for which never got printed, but I gave the CD out to a ton of people at gigs regardless! If you don't know who Gallows are, don't worry, you're not missing much....)
I was on the Really Wild Show (no, not as an animal...)
I replaced Dave Prowse's Nephew in my position at work. (every time a thread like this comes up on any forum you can guarentee mr Prowse comes up :lol: my Brother still dines out on the fact that his best mate's mum once went out with him!)
I've worked with 2 Olympic athletes (well one until the 2012 olympics, hopefully! One was British Female Hammer throw champion and the other ran the fastest mile in the world earlier this year)
I lived on the same street JK rowling was born on for 25 years.
I'm related (at least we're 99% sure we are) to my rather more famous namesake (and for those of you who don't know my name, i'm currently the Man Utd Assistant manager ;))

Al very tenuous I know, but I keep telling people them regardless ;)

dste

Post by dste » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:17 pm

Stood next to Kevin Campbell and Chris Bart-Williams in Virgin, Nottingham when they were playing for Forest.
Went to see Metallica at Newcastle Metro Arena a couple of years back and they came out to the stage right next to where I was standing.
Met Deftones, Machine Head, Manhole and Coal Chamber in Nottingham many years ago.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:23 pm

I stood next to Russ Swift at a car show
I walked into René Auberjonois (Odo from DS9)at a Trek con I was walking out as he was walking in to do his talk
I stood in a que with Danny John Jule's pregnant wife to get a coffee
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:24 pm

I've spoken to Jarvis Cocker and Nick Cave.
Eddie Izzard helped me to clean up a broken glass at the bar I used to work in.
That's all I've got.

Vyothric

Post by Vyothric » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:26 pm

This probably doesn't count, but my only claim to fame is this:

Letter
Steering Wheel

The scores weren't actually that good and I never really used the steering wheel, but it was nice nonetheless.
LastFM | Mods | Music | Twitter | YouTube

Zwischen Leere und Nichts

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:30 pm

Jamie Reeves, the one time worlds strongest man for those not in the know, asked me if I'd got a light when I was walking home from a night on the beer once.
Splink!

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:40 pm

er,
chatted to David Beckham in Foot Locker in the Trafford centre briefly,
Played Alex Higgins at pool, in fact lots of snooker related stuff that most people don't care about! :D
sure there's some other stuff but I just got in from Parent's evening and I'm knackered!

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:55 pm

Dave Perry from Gamesmaster once accused me of slandering him.

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:05 pm

I was on a BBC history entertainment programme called Hystoryonics, presented by Nick Kowlws.

And an episode of Time Team.
HADDOCKEN!

Roo

Post by Roo » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:14 pm

In keeping with the sort of Z-list stuff of the thread:

I had a lengthy conversation with Rangers right-back Kirk Broadfoot about Clyde F.C. at my old work.

I served Ted DiBiase at my current work. In a small, coastal town in South-West Scotland. I kid you not! Also served other well-known folk, like Billy Dodds.

I used to have kickabouts at the park with current WWE wrestler Drew McIntyre.

I've also met loads of musicians and bands, like Frank Turner, Alter Bridge, Black Stone Cherry, Chuck Ragan, The Living End...many more.

alistair_thomas

Post by alistair_thomas » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:31 pm

- Harry Hill once apologised to me for being late.
- I used to introduce Al Murray's warm up show.
- I served Kevin Spacey and Sophie Ellis Bextor at the box office.

^ All in the theatre I used to work in.

Also last year I was a 'featured' extra in a film directed by Plan B - great fun pretending to be an armed policeman for the day!

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:37 pm

Treguard wrote:Dave Perry from Gamesmaster once accused me of slandering him.
:lol: Dave Perry is an absolute berk. Lest we never forget.... :wink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEFr6ACZ8sI

I've been to Collectomania down in Milton Keynes a few times in the past and have met/have autographs from:

Craig Charles & Danny John Jules (would've also got Chris Barrie, unfortunately he wasn't with them on the day I went. :( )
WWE's Test & Stacy Kiebler (Test now sadly passed away, it was just before his run in WWE ECW)
Robert Englund and Ken Kirzinger (I've got a few 'Freddy vs Jason' signed goodies :D )
Brad Dourif
Sean Astin
Corey Feldman (I managed to get him to sign my Toxic Avenger 4: Citizen Toxie DVD cover...he took one look at it, called over his bodyguard and muttered something, then told me that he was currently taking legal action against Troma as they'd been using his name to promote other films he'd not actually starred in. He very nearly didn't sign it for me, but then did :) ....but he wouldn't sign it as 'Kinky Finkelstein' like I initially asked him to, which is how he had been referenced on the Toxie 4 credits :lol: )
John Rhys-Davies.

Some years ago, my ex missus also used to work on reception for a PR company in the middle of Oxford city centre...one time I went to meet her after I'd finished work early and sat down on a chair by the front desk, not realising somebody had left a coat there...5 minutes later, I had Richard Whitely coming up to me and asking me to get off it. :lol:

There's also some long standing rumour in my family that my grandad's sister in law's sister (not sure what relation that makes them to me?) was married to Lloyd Bridges. I've never really bothered looking into it though, so I could actually be distantly related to Jeff Bridges :D (yeah, I wish... :lol: )
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

alistair_thomas

Post by alistair_thomas » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:04 am

A few of my friends went to the MK Collectormania in October 2006 and met Ernie Hudson, but I couldn't go and have been insanely jealous ever since!