I can't be the only one really excited for Prometheus

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

WildWillyWilson

Re: I can't be the only one really excited for Prometheus

Post by WildWillyWilson » Fri May 04, 2012 5:16 pm

Rayne wrote:Is this a prequel to Alien then? Or something totally different?

Looks pretty good from the trailer, definitely not scary, but good :)
Yeah it's a prequel of sorts. It's got it's own story that precedes the events in Alien. Hopefully it'll explain things like how the ship (derelict) got there etc...

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Fri May 04, 2012 5:18 pm

WildWillyWilson wrote:
Rayne wrote:Is this a prequel to Alien then? Or something totally different?

Looks pretty good from the trailer, definitely not scary, but good :)
Yeah it's a prequel of sorts. It's got it's own story that precedes the events in Alien. Hopefully it'll explain things like how the ship (derelict) got there etc...
Ahhh I see, fair enough then :)

These days I prefer to go into movies 'blind' rather than read previews and the like, I tend to enjoy them more that way :D Promethius certainly looks great.

dste

Post by dste » Fri May 04, 2012 6:04 pm

WildWillyWilson wrote:Booked tickets for me and my bro at the IMAX Metro Centre yesterday, 22:30hrs on the 01st so I'll need to stock up on the coffee! Bit gutted though since just found out that it's on at the Tyneside Cinema (one of the oldest independent cinemas in the UK) which would have been much cosier and it's still in 3D (also much cheaper at £8 per ticket as opposed to £30 incl booking fee for IMAX!).
I'm going to see it at the Tyneside. :D

I don't much care for IMAX/3D so am quite happy to head to the Tyneside for my fix, plus I just prefer it over the bigger cinemas. Shame that they are not showing The Avengers as have to head to the Silverlink to see it. :(
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat May 05, 2012 4:22 am

Saw the trailer proper on telly this week, looks amazing. I don't often get excited enough to really want to go to the cinema but I'm getting that vibe. A fresh look at the world of Alien has me hooked, though I can't make it on premier night as it clashes with the annual beer festival.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat May 05, 2012 6:04 am

Anybody watched the Bob Marley movie yet? Its on limited release, so I may go and see it on Tuesday when its on near me....

Eat your nans pants

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Sat May 05, 2012 6:56 am

crusto wrote:Anybody watched the Bob Marley movie yet? Its on limited release, so I may go and see it on Tuesday when its on near me....
Has it got any Aliens in it? :lol:

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat May 05, 2012 7:50 pm

Oops, wrong thread :oops:

Eat your nans pants

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:44 am

Watched this last night in glorious 3d - and loved it :D So rarely get to the cinema - but have decided that we will now try and do one film per month......
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:46 pm

We saw it in 3D last night too (couldn't get a 2D showing at a decent time). I enjoyed it, though there's some really stupid bits. Mrs Ant thought it no better than average.

I want to see it again as its left me with more questions than answers. I do like some of the performances/characters and visually its everything you'd expect.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

zapiy

Post by zapiy » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:48 pm

It's a beautiful film. Loads of info in there to build it for the next film. Can not wait.

freemonk

Post by freemonk » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:04 pm

Me and my Partner went to see Prometheus last Sunday, and I enjoyed it. It wasn't a bad movie, but it wasn't a spectacular one either.

If you walk in expecting an Alien or Aliens movie, then you will very disappointed. It is a very good origin story though, and you can see from some of the creature appearences how the Aliens became they way they did.

The 3D was excellent in my opinion (up there with Avatar and Tron Legacy). We went to see MIB3 the week before in 3D and the 3D in that was appaling with blurry action sequences and nothing much to add to the film with the 3D added.

At least in Prometheus the 3D added an extra dimension. The 2 standout sequences in 3D were when they had to rescue the lead lady out in the storm and when David activated the Star Map. Looked fantastic.

I'd give it a 3 out of 5.
WANTED: Spiderman: Web of Shadows (X360) / Mario Party 4 to 7 (GC) / Pikmin 2 (GC) / Muscle Bomber (SFC) / Bonkers (SNES) / Nosferatu (SNES) / Scramble (Vectrex) / Einhander (PS1) / Patapon 3 (PSP) / Sin and Punishment 2 (Wii)

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:09 am

I'm off to see this tomorrow after work (I'm going to the 3.20pm "silver screening" show for pensioners!!)

The cinema i'm going to is only showing it in 3D though. Not a huge fan of 3d, but at least a few of the above posts have put my mind at ease a bit.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

James A

Post by James A » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:36 am

Mixed feelings on this. I missed the bit at the start saying which planet they go to at the start of the movie so was left thinking it was the one from Alien. By the end of the movie i was left wondering how it tied into Alien. It was only a few days later speaking to a frined that had seen it that they told me it wasn't that planet from Alien :oops:

Its good but was it me or did it seem like there where sections missing from it to get it down to a reasonable length? Could there be a directors cut of this? Its pretty obvious though theres going to be a sequel.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:15 am

We saw the whole thing and Mrs Ant didn't realise it was a different planet either.

One thing puzzles me (without being spoilerific). Who was the bloke at the start and why did he do what he did. I've some ideas, but I'm not sure my theories match the movie (which can be said of several sections)

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:30 am

I was thinking about that bloke at the start - and [spoilers] my brain recons that was Earth and all the DNA stuff in the water was the basis of Humans...... BUT I maybe and probably am completely wrong! :lol:

Mrs Ant obviously isnt and Alien fanatic then! LV426 is not the planet in this film :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/