Has anyone here owned an Open Pandora

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

snowkatt

Re: Has anyone here owned an Open Pandora

Post by snowkatt » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:48 pm

its an amazing piece fo kit thats for sure
but far far far too expensive for the money i can have a decent laptop
and considering i am not interested in emulation that leaves me with basicallya smart phone\ds running linux
and linux games

if the price of thsi thing comes down and its more widley know ( either advertising and word of mouth ) the price may go down but right now its an very impressive very cool but far too expensive piece of kit

its the new neo geo almost :wink:

im not all that interested in the gwc zero since emulation is not my goal or my interest
i will stick with the psp
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:44 am

I own a Pandora, the touchscreen doesn't work properly and I can't find any way to turn it off and just use the keyboard and despite numerous posts on the Pandora forums I cant seem to get any way to repair it. So now it's a very pricy paperweight and I use my GP32X instead. Such a shame.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:47 am

Think the price point puts a lot of people off, I wouldn't mind one as balls to touch screen games

andyB911

Post by andyB911 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:41 pm

Treguard wrote:I own a Pandora, the touchscreen doesn't work properly and I can't find any way to turn it off and just use the keyboard and despite numerous posts on the Pandora forums I cant seem to get any way to repair it. So now it's a very pricy paperweight and I use my GP32X instead. Such a shame.
I'm no expert, but what do you need the touch-screen for? I very rarely use it. If you use the analogue stick as a mouse to control the cursor, then shouldn't be necessary for anything.

For repair, try contacting the manufacturer at http://dragonbox.de.

Andy

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:25 pm

I have heard of this a while back, and looked into one. On Amibay, a couple of members got into it, and the pre-order and were pleased with what they got by all accounts.
It does look like a great piece of kit. I can understand the expense, small runs of electronic equipment soon mounts up in price, and this looks like a quality piece.
I think it compares favourably with items like the PSP. I have that, and it's well setup, but Amiga Emulation is poor as are some other emulators, such as the N64.
I have a laptop stuffed with emulators and ROMs, but it is not pocket sized. It would be awkward to whip it out on the bus.
I also have an original xBox rammed with emulators, connected to a 21" CRT TV, awesome, but not portable.
I would have one, but I couldn't stretch to that amount, which is a real shame.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:23 am

andyB911 wrote:
Treguard wrote:I own a Pandora, the touchscreen doesn't work properly and I can't find any way to turn it off and just use the keyboard and despite numerous posts on the Pandora forums I cant seem to get any way to repair it. So now it's a very pricy paperweight and I use my GP32X instead. Such a shame.
I'm no expert, but what do you need the touch-screen for? I very rarely use it. If you use the analogue stick as a mouse to control the cursor, then shouldn't be necessary for anything.

For repair, try contacting the manufacturer at http://dragonbox.de.

Andy
It defaults to the touch screen input on some emulators and theres no option to turn it off. PC Engine emulators are completely unplayable. I've been asking on the Pandora forums about repairs for over a year now with no success.

UPDATE:

Just logged in to the Openpandora forum and I've had a response to the RMA request I posted 9 months ago! Well thats some progress I guess. Now I just need to ship it to Germany and hopefully get it back before 2014.

siamesegiant

Post by siamesegiant » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:10 pm

It sounds like it was pretty great 3 years ago when people placed their orders. Dunno about now though. I really doubt it's worth the potential hassle, see this cautionary tale:

http://gamester81.com/pandoras-box-wher ... -handheld/

andyB911

Post by andyB911 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:52 pm

siamesegiant wrote:It sounds like it was pretty great 3 years ago when people placed their orders. Dunno about now though. I really doubt it's worth the potential hassle, see this cautionary tale:

http://gamester81.com/pandoras-box-wher ... -handheld/
He did receive it and review it:

http://gamester81.com/pandora-handheld-review/

There is now no backlog and they are available from stock. No hassle if you order from dragonbox (URL somewhere above). Doesn't make it any cheaper, but its no risk, no waiting.

Stainy

Post by Stainy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:50 am

Well... I bought two... Then swapped both for a 1ghz version.
Then I put it back in a black case myself..
Little niggles from other people aside..
The little machine is fantastic!! Fits right in on this forum...:)
I can play, BBC, speccy, c64, Amiga, Sam coupe, psx, n64, Mame, run android, DOS games ( f1 gp2 ) and lots lots more..

That along with the serious side, music, video office apps etc.

Fits me right down to the ground! I remember playing a few games on a lot of systems...

Brilliant...

Stainy

Post by Stainy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:16 pm

Also forgot to mention is now has a compatible layer app that plays android games without loading the android os.

Oh and there's a Nintendo DS emulator too ;)

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:48 am

As an update, I've recieved my Pandora back in full working order, repaired and posted back absolutely free! They take their time, but can't fault that for customer service. Now if I can only figure out wher I need to put the bloody kickstart image to get UAE4All working I'll be a happy bunny.

Stainy

Post by Stainy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:55 pm

Treguard wrote:As an update, I've recieved my Pandora back in full working order, repaired and posted back absolutely free! They take their time, but can't fault that for customer service. Now if I can only figure out wher I need to put the bloody kickstart image to get UAE4All working I'll be a happy bunny.
You got uae4all? Installed?

The appdata dir you have a kickstart dir.
You can put both 1.3 and 3.1 roms ( kickstarts ) in here.
Named
Kick13.rom
Kick31.rom
Both must be 512k kickstarts..

That should do the trick