Is collecting / playing all these games making us crazy?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ChipTune

Is collecting / playing all these games making us crazy?

Post by ChipTune » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:59 pm

I am wondering about this as I love collecting games and playing retro games but sometimes I feel like I've taken the obsession too far. Let me explain as best I can.

I often go into the other room where my old tv and retro consoles are and enjoy picking up the boxes and choosing something to play, but having a large amount often means I can't decide what to play.. and sit there getting frustrated until I lose interest and go to the lounge to play xbox instead.

Also MAME on my PC.. I have managed to whittle down every emulator folder I have to only the games I like.. which took ages (especially in MAME).. but again I load it up, sit down with my arcade stick and then have no idea what to play as there are hundreds in my list. Even when I do chose to play something I can never enjoy it fully as Im wondering if there is something better to play.

I often find myself ploughing through new titles I have bought, wondering whether I am actually having any fun, or just trying to finish the game so I can consider it finished and move on to something else.. having 4 or more games on the go at once drives me mental and I try to finish them quickly.

Does anyone else suffer anything like this or is it just me?

Admittedly I am prone to depression, OCD, extreme panic attacks and other drivvel, but I am sure other 'normal' folk must experience a kind of 'choice overload' when it comes to games..

Being into retro gaming means you have over 25 years of back catalogue all vying for your attention.. and I always feel like I want to find the gems and obscure titles out there.

It's like having an entire library of books to yourself and told to jump in.. where the heck do you start? Its overwhelming. I find it irritating enough when you go to an upmarket ice cream stall in summer and there are about 20 flavours, all which sound amazing.. I never know what to have there either and whatever I do chose I am sure another one would have been better.

Anyway I just needed to get this off my chest.. believe it or not I actually had a sleepless night a week ago picturing all the games on my xbox 360 list which I havent finished.. I thought I was going mad.. The next day I deleted loads of them, and also deleted most of my PC games.. Just keeping MAME, Outrun and a few FPS games. It does feel better.

Sorry for the rambling.. I am genuinely interested in what others have to say..

rossi46

Re: Is collecting / playing all these games making us crazy?

Post by rossi46 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:11 pm

I can identify with the 'choice overload' thing. I blame emulators for that. I own the complete MD and Snes r0M sets and I flick from one title to the next, never playing any for more than a few minutes. Back when I was paying £40 for new titles, I always tried to get my money's worth from them. Not now. A similar thing happened when I discovered that the Dreamcast could play CDRs. Once I got decent broadband, I was suddenly faced with an all-you-can-eat-buffet of games to download and play. Except, having so many DC CDRs seemed to devalue the whole experience and I ended up playing loads of different DC titles for just minutes each and enjoying none (Le Mans excepted).

I used to buy one MD game per month back in the 90s and always wrung its neck to squeeze as much gametime out of it as possible.
Thoughts and prayers.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:14 pm

ChipTune wrote:SNIP
no I use a lucky dip type thing to choose what to play

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:30 pm

i have 20 games maximum. So, no.

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:00 pm

I know what you mean Chip.

I've acquired a bunch of games over the last couple years at a much quicker rate than I can play them, thinking I'll get to them eventually. I also sometimes suffer some "paralysis by analysis" where I actually end up playing very little despite having so many options.

This often gives the urge to cull my game collection. I'm reminded about the line in Fight Club where Tyler warns "the things you own end up owning you" or something like that.

I'm prone to depression as well, and the time and money spent on games does leave me with some feelings of guilt which doesn't help. Those feeling can suck the joy out of playing the even very best games, including personal favourites. I don't always feel like that, just now and gain.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:14 pm

I see where you're coming from too, especially the Tyler Durden comment - lots of interesting things in that film (well, book originally probably).
Xbox Live: RetroBob

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:34 am

DPrinny wrote:
ChipTune wrote:SNIP
no I use a lucky dip type thing to choose what to play
£1 a go all procedes to charity! :D
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

batman877

Post by batman877 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:19 am

Don't worry - I know where you're coming from!

Too much of a good thing!

I've still 100s of unplayed titles from over 15 different systems! And I still keeping buying new ones!!! But part of the thrill is collecting.

You could try focusing on a series of games... e.g if you're a Bond fan, play through the ages... 'A View to a Kill' on the 8-bits right through to 'Blood Stone' on PS3/360! That way you're getting good use out of all your systems whilst remaining entertained yet focused.

Alternatively - pack everything away except for just one system and concentrate on that for a while.

Don't give up and end up selling a bulk of your stuff - I've done that too many times to know it's a mistake!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:43 am

rossi46 wrote:... A similar thing happened when I discovered that the Dreamcast could play CDRs. Once I got decent broadband, I was suddenly faced with an all-you-can-eat-buffet of games to download and play. Except, having so many DC CDRs seemed to devalue the whole experience and I ended up playing loads of different DC titles for just minutes each and enjoying none.
Poor you. My heart bleeds.

Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:58 am

You should never feel guilty for having unplayed games. End of the day we have money to spend of leisure items and we can spend it how we want, it is no different to smoking, drinking, buying books/dvds etc.

As for playing games, I personally tend not to think about it. I just play something that I fancy and stick with it until the end or I am bored. I normally finish a game that I start but in the case of Wind Waker, I have taken a break to play something else as I got bored.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:59 am

Let me answer this way:

[puts underpants on head and shoves pencils up nostrils]

Wibble.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:02 am

Not saying he should feel guilty but when you get to the stage where you could say its like 'hording' it can get a bit worrying. I cant talk, got tons of apps on my ipod, in an ideal world i should play one, complete it, delete it, move to the next one instead of buying more and more (at least theyre dirt cheap !).

But i think its like dvds, its worrying when you start to buy tons and dont get really get to watch them. If you're buying tons of games and arent playing them and you cant see when you can it just seems a waste and becomes more a hording type mini obsession.

Reckon you should stop buying anymore games, take a bit of a break and take time to go through all the games you have stacking up, (sounding like your mum here), keep the ones you really do like and would come back to and sell all the ones where you have a few goes and think 'meh', better than it gathering dust. Once you clear up some space, get rid of the 'dead wood' buy a few more but dont go crazy.

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:27 am

Liamh1982 wrote:Let me answer this way:

[puts underpants on head and shoves pencils up nostrils]

Wibble.
:lol:
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:30 am

What with one thing or another we are spoilt for choice these days. I tend to stick to two or three until ive completed them now. But I have looked at the shelves in the past and taken an hour to choose something :lol: I like the lucky dip idea, maybe i'll do that.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:57 am

:? Would have to ask IF it's the hobby that's the key root of the issue here, or just part of the way it's manifesting itself.If something is playing on your mind to the point where you cannot sleep at night, that's not a good thing at all and the sooner it's sorted the better.

Sounds like you are making good progress though, just having the games you want to play on MAME, sounds to me like the direction you should be heading in.Maybe you could just take some time out, look at each system you own and why your buying the games you buy for it.

Myself, if i had the space/money, i'd love to start collecting Atari 2600 games, just for the fantastic cover art, my 360, i've mere handfull of games for, usually the exclusives, only have Mass Effect 3 on pre-order for it, rather than my PS3, as my character been built up since 1st game, lot of loose ends to tie up.Use my PS3 as my main system.

With the Retro side, if your buying in order to play the games, would emulation not be enough?