What Manga/Graphic Novels/Comics....

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

dste

Re: What Manga/Graphic Novels/Comics....

Post by dste » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:03 pm

The Prince of Heroes: Chapter 1 GN.

Nice art but not much of a story or much dialogue truth be told. If I see chapter 2 I'll give it a read.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:13 pm

felgekarp wrote:
dste wrote:The Authority: The Lost Year Volume One

Didn't know anything about The Authority and after reading that I still don't. :D

Would read some more though if I had the chance.
I would read the Stormwatch stuff first, then read the Authority stuff and also pick up Planetary as well if you haven't.

100000% Agreed. I haven't picked up The Authority since the world all changed, seen some pics and can't bring myself to get back into it.

Don't forget the Coup D'etat series.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

PAC

Post by PAC » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:12 pm

Over here.. DK3 and Klaus both giving Star Wars a real scrap for Comic Book Of The Year !

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:51 pm

PAC wrote:Over here.. DK3 and Klaus both giving Star Wars a real scrap for Comic Book Of The Year !
You recommend DK3 then? I was going to pick it up at some point. I've just finished the last two Astro City trades, I have yet to read a bad Astro City story, and I'm just starting on Dan Dare The 2000ad Years.
Splink!

PAC

Post by PAC » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:19 pm

It's not like it was 30 years back but already safe planets from The Dark Knight Strikes Again.

Definitely worth a punt if you've managed to avoid the storyline in issue one.

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:34 pm

Read Deadpool Kills The Marvel Universe, was disappointed, didn't think it was as good or funny as I was lead to believe.

Don't know much about Deadpool, I realise he's an anti hero but he just seems like a scumbag, I was routing for the other Marvel characters. :lol: The upcoming movie looks fun but I can't say this inspired me to read any more Deadpool comics.

Fortunately I bought it for a friend rather than myself and I know he'll love it as he prefers dark comics with sociopath characters.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:07 pm

Read the first trades of Kaptara and B#tch Planet over the last couple of weeks, definitely two series I'll be keeping up with.
Splink!

dste

Post by dste » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:01 pm

Popped to the library yesterday and they had all ten graphic novels of Y: The Last Man.

Not read it before so looking forward to getting stuck in.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

dste

Post by dste » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:50 pm

Finished all of Y: The Last Man.

Brilliant read, couldn't put it down.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:56 pm

Currently reading
Gintama
One Punch man
Gumn Mars Chronicle (yes this series is still going and seems to get new issues when ever)
Teppuu re-reading
pratty wrote:Read Deadpool Kills The Marvel Universe, was disappointed, didn't think it was as good or funny as I was lead to believe.

Don't know much about Deadpool, I realise he's an anti hero but he just seems like a scumbag, I was routing for the other Marvel characters. :lol: The upcoming movie looks fun but I can't say this inspired me to read any more Deadpool comics.

Fortunately I bought it for a friend rather than myself and I know he'll love it as he prefers dark comics with sociopath characters.
Deadpool and Cable is his best series

There is a recommended guide I cant be bothered to google for
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:46 pm

dste wrote:Finished all of Y: The Last Man.

Brilliant read, couldn't put it down.
I was just coming in to ask what you thought of it, I thought it was pretty goid from start to finish.
Splink!

dste

Post by dste » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:50 pm

It really was.

It offered interesting view points without being preachy and left you to interpret things as you wanted to. It was also nice to see background characters brought to the foreground later on in the series.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog

dste

Post by dste » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:18 pm

Ms. Marvel Vol 1: No Normal - The new Ms. Marvel who is the first Muslim character to headline a Marvel book. Was a decent enough read but was an origin story so would like to read more to see how the story goes.

Wolverine: Back in Japan - Again, decent enough read featuring the likes of Sabretooth and the Hand.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog

dste

Post by dste » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:34 pm

Batman/Wonder Woman: Fresh Faces which is a collection of very early stories by Brian K. Vaughan, decent enough read.

Daredevil: The Man Without Fear by Frank Miller and John Romita Jr. - Surprised that I haven't read this by now. It's a good read and you can clearly see where it influenced aspects of the series.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:25 pm

Reading throgh a DK Marvel Encyclopedia which covers every year of the company from the 30's (as Timely Comics) to 2013 (so it's a bit out of date). Really interesting seeing what sort of comics they produced in the 40's and 50's before superheroes became the Marvel norm.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.