The anti-what grinds your gears thread.

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

tachi

Re: The anti-what grinds your gears thread.

Post by tachi » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:00 pm

I always look forward to leaving work when it's raining, it's a strange thing but it feels like the downpour washes away my stresses of the day.
Also, if I am uptight I pop to a 2nd hand bookstore. The smell, the excitement of searching through old books relaxes me (yes, I am sad).
Oh and I always love the sound of gravel underfoot. When I was young I used to hang out with some friends who lived about 2 miles away and would walk home from their place at around 1am. This involved walked through some woods, across a river, some more woods and then through a housed are with 2 subways. The sound of the forest was always good but I looked forward to the crunch of gravel underfoot as I walked through the subways and it gave me images of being along in the world, miles from anywhere.
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

Dave300

Post by Dave300 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:15 pm

Watching 80's TV gameshows. It's a hobby of mine and my father's every Saturday evening while waiting for the takeaway. It's all recorded from Challenge but this evening it's been Catchphrase, Bullseye and Celebrity Squares. Miserable modern neon-lit personality-less 'stressful' gameshows pale in comparison to the fun, fast-moving challenges of the old days! :)

dste

Post by dste » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:09 pm

tachi wrote:I always look forward to leaving work when it's raining, it's a strange thing but it feels like the downpour washes away my stresses of the day.

I know exactly what you mean. I tend to do it at lunchtime if I've had a bad morning, just head out for a wander and a nice cleanse.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:09 pm

Paid off my car today. One less bill to worry about. :D

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:22 am

Putting on a pair of jeans that I haven't worn for a very long time and finding a tenner in the back pocket :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

playzooki

Post by playzooki » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:19 am

Dave300 wrote:Watching 80's TV gameshows. It's a hobby of mine and my father's every Saturday evening while waiting for the takeaway. It's all recorded from Challenge but this evening it's been Catchphrase, Bullseye and Celebrity Squares. Miserable modern neon-lit personality-less 'stressful' gameshows pale in comparison to the fun, fast-moving challenges of the old days! :)
i like old gameshows too

noobish hat

Post by noobish hat » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:37 am

I love all that stuff! For some reason (probably because I haven't gone back to them for 20 years, unlike games, movies), few things take me back like old game shows. My favourites are Family Fortunes and Catchphrase on Challenge. There's not enough though, and I'm living abroad, so I don't have that now :( I've looked for downloads of all of Family Fortunes but found nothing! I have all of Crystal Maze though. Just the theme tune puts me in a good mood. I totally agree with modern shows being absolute pap. It's almost like they have to pay big money for questions so they want to limit them. It all started with sodding Millionaire. I don't want to wait 10 minutes for one question, ferchrissakes.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:10 pm

I'm going through a phase of discovering or re-discovering cartoons I have little or no recollection of.

Current new favourites include:
Catscratch

Fly Tales

Just the pictures are putting a big smile :mrgreen: on my face!

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:56 pm

StickHead wrote:When a complete stranger who has nothing at all to gain goes out of their way to help you;
Exactly this ^^^^ although this doesn't happen to me very often.
SexyWayne wrote:That shiver you get when you finally go after bursting for a wee :D
LOL at this ^^^^ but I know the feeling all too well.

Here's a few for me:

- hearing a piece of music that I really like but haven't heard for years
- seeing relatives or friends I've not seen for ages
- going to retro events :)
- watching an awesome demo, or listening to an awesome SoundTracker MOD on my Amiga.

dste

Post by dste » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:53 pm

Megamixer wrote:Putting on a pair of jeans that I haven't worn for a very long time and finding a tenner in the back pocket :)
Jammy git, I never find forgotten money unless it's a quid that accidentally falls out of my pocket a couple of days later. :lol:
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:45 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:I'm going through a phase of discovering or re-discovering cartoons I have little or no recollection of.

Current new favourites include:
Catscratch

Fly Tales

Just the pictures are putting a big smile :mrgreen: on my face!
I remember seeing adverts for them in the Beano or Cosmic or suchlike, but never got around to seeing them - YouTube's the best invention since the Internet.

This evening I've finally found out what this Netflix thing's all about - my brother's given me his password, so I've been watching Louis Theroux's Weird Weekends all evening :D
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:07 pm

This little news story from yesterday:-

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ca ... 15017.html

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:57 pm

My kids playing Just dance and Wii Sports Resort on the Wii U together. They're 9 and 5 and getting them to do the same thing together is great!

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:14 pm

Gaming on the Linux O/S, some really great progress has been on this recently,My Steam Library is now showing Counter Strike: Global Offensive, Dead Island, Football Manager, Borderlands 2, Xcom, Civ 5 and now GoG are getting in on the act. :mrgreen:

playzooki

Post by playzooki » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:28 pm

Winning something everyone expected me to lose http://gametechmods.com/forums/index.ph ... rdseen#new