The i Love Old Gaming Magazines - chat thread

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

c0nfu53d

Re: The i Love Old Gaming Magazines - chat thread

Post by c0nfu53d » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:26 am

I've been reading some Amstrad Action mags recently and also love Super Play too.

homgran

Post by homgran » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:54 pm

You can never have too many magazine-related threads! ;)
yethboth wrote:Interestingly, in one issue of Mega Drive Advanced Gaming Magazine, they very surprisingly gave Mercs on the Mega Drive an overall rating score of 13%. The said it had mindless violence but it was S---. I was very surprised about this considering the fact that I think Mercs has got to be one of the best Arcade conversions on the Mega Drive despite it being a one player only game. Also it had the additional Original mode which is more or less a different Mercs game in it's own right which is also very good, in which basically you've got two games for the price of one in a way. So I was really surprised by their score and comment.
That's an excerpt from their Mega File, isn't it? I can't say I've ever spent a great deal of time playing Mercs, but over the years I've spent many hours digesting Mega Drive Advanced Gaming's Mega File (incidentally, Mega Drive Advanced Gaming was responsible for getting me into collecting Sega magazines!). The first 20-odd issues were fantastic, but sadly it died a horrible death when it's publishers started buying competing Mega Drive magazines. To this day, I've never seen issue 25... though the magazine ran until at least issue 32 (by which point it had been reduced to a "reprints" pamphlet).

Over the last couple of weeks, I've been photographing my collection of 637 Sega magazines -- I hope to put them online sometime in the new year. :)

-Matt

Wil

Post by Wil » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:30 am

It's about this time that I drag out my issues of Personal Computer Games from December '84 and Jan '85. I still get a great nostalgic shiver reading those Knight Lore and Underwurlde reviews. Such great home computing times. Other than that I've been re-reading the old Mean Machines Complete Guide To Consoles specials lately. The slightly boring tips sections seem to go on forever but they're worth it for the Mega Drive, PC Engine, Game Boy and (available soon!) Super Famicom coverage.

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:12 am

I love reading old gaming mags, over the past 3 years iv'e re-read through my complete runs of Super Play, DC-UK, Official Dreamcast Magazine, plus loads off odd issues of other mags that i have nocking around, i did make a start on my N64 Magazine collection but i keep getting side tracked by all the current stuff like Retro Gamer, GamesTM & NGamer.

P.S Will, i loved the work you did on them mags you made some real stand images, as a kid they really stood out on the shelves to me and my mates (probably the reason we bought them over the others!) :D
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:31 am

c0nfu53d wrote:I've been reading some Amstrad Action mags recently and also love Super Play too.
It's funny, I used to get AA every month, but I have no real memories of the magazine. I think Amtix could have bested it given time.

Wil

Post by Wil » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:13 am

TheNewMonkey wrote:P.S Will, i loved the work you did on them mags you made some real stand images, as a kid they really stood out on the shelves to me and my mates (probably the reason we bought them over the others!) :D
I feel really privileged to have played some tiny part in that age of games mags :)

I did actually go for a job on Personal Computer Games in '84. I'd left college the year before and had an interview with Chris Anderson in London and everything but didn't get it (obviously my badly typed review of Forbidden Forest just wasn't up to scratch). The job went to Bob Wade who eventually followed Chris and ended up starting Future where I ended up nearly 10 years later.

Also had an interview with Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson at Games Workshop for working on White Dwarf but didn't get that either :(

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:41 am

Timothy Lumsden wrote:
c0nfu53d wrote:I've been reading some Amstrad Action mags recently and also love Super Play too.
It's funny, I used to get AA every month, but I have no real memories of the magazine. I think Amtix could have bested it given time.
I never had it back in the day, but reading it for the first time it was abit odd. It's the first mag I've ever read that wasn't 100% colour. Still a great read though and I'm gonna get the rest of the issues at some point.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:57 pm

found an issue of Ultimate - a 90s mag - and the cover is just awful - hilarious over use of DTP when it was a new thing for designers - looks a lot like the Pet Shop Boys go west video.

eeztheman

Post by eeztheman » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:15 pm

I've also found myself reading through the back issues of Total! that I am trying to now complete the set, really does sort of have you in a time warp re - reading these mags from years ago.

I personally did prefer the first 12 or so issues better though.

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:24 am

I bought a full set (aside a few issues) of Official Playstation 3 magazine yesterday...........I don't even have a PS3!! :lol: magazine addiction! oops.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

Dave300

Post by Dave300 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:31 am

I recently purchased a couple of editions of C&VG (Nov '87 and Aug '88 - yes, the fabulous Barbarian II cover!) and it's quite interesting to see the differences in writing style, humour, etc. Lovely to hear the name Radion Automatic again :)

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:56 am

picked up an issue of Ace the other day - has come in hand since I am housebound with flu. It's weird how these magazines must have been in the news agents at the time and yet I never saw them or knew anyone who read them back in the day.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:08 am

When i was a kid, buying a magazine was just as exciting as buying a new game - especially if it had a tape on the cover. Your Sinclair, Sinclair User, Crash, C&VG. Ah, I used to love them.

One sweet shop near me used to take the tapes off and stack them all in a box - it was a huge effort to get them to give you the right one :roll:
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Smiffy

Post by Smiffy » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:05 am

I enjoy retro gaming mags' reviews of games more than actually playing them if I'm honest. I was the kiss of death for CPC Computing which died one issue after I started buying it so I swapped to Amstrad Action for a coupla years until I got my first Amiga and had Amiga Format, Power and Shopper reserved by the newsagent, and Edge too even though they were very dismissive of the Amiga. Odds 'n' sod others too, Amiga related and otherwise. Mum chucked the lot 3 minutes after I left for Uni, have never forgiven her. Since getting back into retro I've rebought a complete set of Amiga Powers which I've read cover to cover; and Edges 15-180 which I'm working through now. Much less depressing than a newspaper ;)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:09 am

greenberet79 wrote:When i was a kid, buying a magazine was just as exciting as buying a new game - especially if it had a tape on the cover. Your Sinclair, Sinclair User, Crash, C&VG. Ah, I used to love them.
I was the opposite, the magazines ruined it for me when they started having covertapes. As i had a Speccy since the early 80's and lots of mates with Speccys i had so many games. So there was hardly a time when i rushed out to get Crash as there was a game on the tape i wanted. Normally already had it as it came out 4 or so years earlier.

Got scans of Crash and quite a few others thanks to Mort, love looking at them from time to time, great memories.