The i Love Old Gaming Magazines - chat thread

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Timothy Lumsden

The i Love Old Gaming Magazines - chat thread

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:50 am

Been reading a lot of old magazines lately and enjoying it almost as much as gaming - so thought a chat thread for fellow old mag reader might be a laugh (not for trading - just nostalgia).

My reading this week was most old copies of Home Computer Weekly - which had women in bikinis on the cover holding Orics and Spectrums - very amusing and little odd....

felgekarp

Re: The i Love Old Gaming Magazines - chat thread

Post by felgekarp » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:08 am

I'm not reading them at the moment but I got some copies of Dragon User to have a look through, at some point they stopped doing covers and just had a contents listing on the front, times were hard for the Dragon.
Splink!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:30 am

Timothy Lumsden wrote:My reading this week was most old copies of Home Computer Weekly - which had women in bikinis on the cover holding Orics and Spectrums - very amusing and little odd....
Scans please. I love a nice Oric ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:10 am

I wasn't aware of Home Computer Weekly back in the day, though I have seen scanned copies on World of Spectrum. It's a strange magazine to read nowdays. They hit on the idea of using women to sell issues, though the cheap paper quality make it seem seedy. Inside, the magazine contains a mix of limited games coverage and technical content. They were clearly struggling to work out who their target audience should be and what they should do to serve their needs. It's no wonder that Crash defined the standard for games coverage during this time.

I've spent the last week reading old issues of ST Format, ST Action, Atari ST User, Atari World and ST Review, thanks to Adrian Bridgett. Although ST Format was the most mainstream of these magazines, I've enjoyed looking through the more technical Atari ST User. Atari User was the first magazine I ever bought (only a single issue featuring a knight on a chess board, but it was memorable) and, although I no longer have any issues, it's great to finally have the final issues of this lineage. It's interesting to read about the developments in the Atari world during the 90s. The commercial games market was comprised of Amiga/PC ports and the serious software was a poor replica of other platforms (the ST had a huge reputation for music thanks to the presence of MIDI ports, but there are many complaints that the machine lacked common tools and formats, such as MOD playback. Although it is evident that Atari have little knowledge or interest in the ST market, the community appears to have developed a 'mustn't grumble' attitude, focusing upon the limited activities that they can perform with the machine, without criticising the host company or mocking competing platforms (not too much, at least). I was particularly intrigued to read about OMEN, a cross-platform 68k operating system for the Atari ST, Mac, and Amiga. Sadly, only the Atari version appears to have been completed and the lack of software support makes it a curioso only.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:15 am

Quite often dig out my Zero and Arcade magazines for a trip down memory lane.Far more 'personality' than likes of say Edge or Gamestm seem to offer today.

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:24 pm

I've got a fair retro mags hosted on my site, not all NES :P

http://www.nes-bit.com/?page_id=23
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:40 pm

I love them too, but don't we already have several mag loving threads?
Xbox Live: RetroBob

clarance

Post by clarance » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:11 pm

I collect Commodore User and CU Amiga Magazines - It's a very bitter-sweet experience. Although the nostalgia rush is fantastic (especially with the old 8-bit stuff), it often leaves me aching with the desire to be eleven again - so much that it hurts :(
Death may be your Santa Claus.

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:37 pm

I fancy re-reading all my old Zero Magazines (hopefully they are still funny now that I am no longer 12) that are currently collecting dust/mould/mouse nibbles in the loft. Maybe I'll get around to it when my assignments are all in (roll on January 9th).
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:05 pm

RetroBob wrote:I love them too, but don't we already have several mag loving threads?
Is there such a thing as too many mag loving threads? :D

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:00 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Timothy Lumsden wrote:My reading this week was most old copies of Home Computer Weekly - which had women in bikinis on the cover holding Orics and Spectrums - very amusing and little odd....
Scans please. I love a nice Oric ;)
i don't have flickr or anything, but can sling a selection up on my blog - they're fairly....informative in a Barbarian cover way :wink:

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:26 pm

Great Thread Timmy

I'm rereading the Commodore Users at the Moment with the Commodore 16 reviews as 'Clarance' depressing really how much better everything was back then.. I probally know those reviews of by Heart.. I also been reading Zero and it is still incredibly funny, only second in Funnyness to Mean Yob :D
I have 4 big boxes of Magazines all the Super Plays, all the Game Zones, Zero, C+VG, Games X, Maximum, Mean Machines and lots of misc.. I also found 5 issue's of Zzap I did have a complete set but gave them to Vulture, I did really enjoy Zzap around issue 80 when the Sega Power crew where on there, seemed more like old Zzap..

I do have some single issue's of stuff in your sig, did have one Big K with the LP I will try and dig them out for you
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:41 pm

I've got a huge collection of Crash, Sinclair User and Your Sinclair magazines for the Spectrum, as well as various Mega Drive magazines such as Mean Machines Sega, Mega, Sega Force and Mega Drive Advanced Gaming. I've also got a huge collection of Super Play magazines which is my favourite Super Nintendo magazine due to the huge coverage of Anime and Japanese games on the Super Nintendo.

Interestingly, in one issue of Mega Drive Advanced Gaming Magazine, they very surprisingly gave Mercs on the Mega Drive an overall rating score of 13%. The said it had mindless violence but it was S---. I was very surprised about this considering the fact that I think Mercs has got to be one of the best Arcade conversions on the Mega Drive despite it being a one player only game. Also it had the additional Original mode which is more or less a different Mercs game in it's own right which is also very good, in which basically you've got two games for the price of one in a way. So I was really surprised by their score and comment.
Last edited by yethboth on Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:41 pm

yethboth wrote:I've got a huge collection of Crash, Sinclair User and Your Sinclair magazines for the Spectrum, as well as various Mega Drive magazines such as Mean Machines Sega, Mega, Sega Force and Mega Drive Advanced Gaming. I've also got a huge collection of Super Play magazines which is my favourite Super Nintendo magazine due to the huge coverage of Anime and Japanese games on the Super Nintendo.

Interestingly, in one issue of Mega Drive Advanced Gaming Magazine, they very surprisingly gave Mercs on the Mega Drive an overall rating score of 13%. The said it had mindless violence but it was S---. I was very surprised about this considering the fact that I think Mercs has got to be one of the best Arcade conversions on the Mega Drive despite it being a one player only game. Also it had the additional Original mode which is more or less a different Mercs game in it's own right which is also very good, in which basically you've got two games for the price of one in a way. So I was really surprised by the their score and comment.
I much prefer the Original megadrive mode to the Original version which was wayy to hard from level 2 onwards.. I could complete the Original mode as you could cheat when you picked up a health pack swap to the other characters and they would all get full health.. I'm suprised Mean Machines said Arcade Shadow Dancer was better than the Megadrive version, the Megadrive version was a million times better
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:16 pm

Every issue of Crash and ZZap on my iPad, I do have some original copies of Atari User magazine from the '80s.