Candy Cab SNK SC19-4 restoration - A work in progress

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Paulie

Candy Cab SNK SC19-4 restoration - A work in progress

Post by Paulie » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:44 pm

I have started the same thread over on the Arcade Otaku forum so it's no hassle for me to copy and paste it on here as I don't know if any of you are members over there and I think a couple of you chaps and chappets may be interested to see my project :D

If you are a member on AO or find it boring then just ignore this :lol:

I got my dream cab this week a SNK SC19-4 from RKLOK who is a arcade seller from the Netherlands and a member on AO. I'm over the moon with the cab, overall its really nice. It all works 100% and crucially the monitor has no burn whatsoever but it does need some work as I would like to try and get it looking as minty as possible.

Here's what it looked like on arrival

My to do list (13 jobs)

1. Give the metal shell a really good clean both inside and out, I'm going to T-cut and polish it all up so it should be pretty shiny when I've done.

2. Polish the hood (I have not used Novus before, but from what I have read that's what I need.

3. Re-spray the coin box as the paint on the front is a well worn and looks scruffy (I may do the internal supports and the coin box housing too but only if I can't find an exact colour match).

4. The control panel needs a lot of attention (by far the worst bit of the cab) the left hand side plastic edge cover has a bit broken off and the whole thing in general is very tired and it's not sitting correctly maybe because it's a bit loose. The red metal front needs respraying, I think I might be able to keep the CP art as it's original and it's not too bad, just some scratches (famous last words) so I may be able to work with that, if I can't then a reproduction will be in order.

5. Replace all of the buttons.

6. Clean up the sticks and I need a new blue ball top as it has a crack in it (but will replace both so they are all nice and shiny).

7. Look at the side art (the red strips), it looks pretty bad in places but it appears to have a clear film over the art which is all scraped but the actual art I think I can work with, that's if I can get that clear film off, if not then it's a reproduction job I know Rossyra has done an excellent job of providing the files on wiki.

8. Get a reproduction plexi-glass as it's missing on my cab. I can buy one from FrancoB on AO.

9. The marquee is not original and it's knackered so I could try to get a reproduction marquee made again by FrancoB on AO or maybe buy an original, miracles do happen.

10. Re-spray the black metal pedestal base.

11. Change the Two slot motherboard for a four slot.

12. Not a job but I only have 2x 100 Yen coins so I would like to acquire some more.

13. Play some MVS :awe:

If any one else has one of these cabs and has any of the spare parts I'm looking for or can point me in the right direction that would be cool. Also if anyone has any restoration tricks or tips then please let me know.

I will update the thread as and when I do the jobs :D
My trade/sale thread (Includes my feedback)

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=23510

Paulie

Re: Candy Cab SNK SC19-4 restoration - A work in progress

Post by Paulie » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:46 pm

I've been able to work on the marquee area today.

1. I removed the marquee, this was quite tricky as it was stuck down with double sided tape and super glue and I was concerned about damaging the paint, thankfully it came off fine albeit very slowly.

Before I started working on the marquee area

Removed marquee (front part)

Removed marquee (middle & back parts) YUK!

2. I removed the hood which is attached by 11, 6 pointed star security screws to allow me access to the speaker area and more space to work on the marquee part.

Here is what it looks like without the hood.

3. I cleaned the black metal bit that houses the speakers and that the marquee sits against (sorry I don't know that actual name of the part), this took quite some time because it was caked in old tape and super glue that didn't want to shift, I ended up using lighter fluid to soften the adhesive. When I had removed all the gunk I used T-Cut and Turtle triple wax and it's come up a treat, so I'm really happy with how it turned out. Now the hunt for a marquee begins, I've already been told that finding and original may be very difficult (which I did suspect) so one that fits that will hold 4 mini marquees will probably be my best option. I've been in touch with FrancoB on AO to see if he can make a reproduction for me.

Before cleaning.

All polished up.

Next job is to clean the inside of the cab.

Paulie

Post by Paulie » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:47 pm

I've had a go at the inside of the cab, it was pretty filthy but with a bit of elbow grease it's come up a treat :awe:

Pretty grubby.

Almost there.

Clean as a whistle.

Next job is to tackle the white metal exterior.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:08 pm

Wicked stuff! I love cabs and would love to get one if I had the cash.

How many 100 yen coins are you after?
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Paulie

Post by Paulie » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:27 pm

nakamura wrote:Wicked stuff! I love cabs and would love to get one if I had the cash.

How many 100 yen coins are you after?
I have just got another 18 but if you have any spare ones kicking around just let me know. The coin box is really big and could prob hold 1000's :lol:

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:36 pm

I love seeing the before and after pics. Its amazing what just a spot of cleaning can do. Make sure you keep the thread updated Paulie, i look forward to seeing the cab come good! :D
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

K1NGARTH3R

Post by K1NGARTH3R » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:57 pm

Paulie wrote: Before cleaning.

All polished up.
That's an incredible difference just by cleaning it!

I've really got to do something similar with my cabs, see restoration threads like this really get me in the mood!

Well done on finally getting the cab! It looks really nice and especially nice once you've finished with it :-)

Paulie

Post by Paulie » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:35 pm

nokgod wrote:I love seeing the before and after pics. Its amazing what just a spot of cleaning can do. Make sure you keep the thread updated Paulie, i look forward to seeing the cab come good! :D
Me too I'm always amazed with other peoples before and after pics.

Yep I'll keep updating :D
K1NGARTH3R wrote:
Paulie wrote: That's an incredible difference just by cleaning it!

I've really got to do something similar with my cabs, see restoration threads like this really get me in the mood!

Well done on finally getting the cab! It looks really nice and especially nice once you've finished with it :-)
Thanks Tom, been after this model ever since I saw a pic of it on the internet about 10 years ago, so Im V Happy :D

I was really happy with how it turned out but it took the best part of 2 hours to get all the superglue off.

Yeah you should do mate, I would love to see it documented and I'm sure lots of other people would too. When you get going it's more fun than playing the games :lol:

Paulie

Post by Paulie » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:58 pm

I've now prepared the cab ready for polishing the exterior (well almost, I just need to remove the CP base, I couldn't find a stubby otherwise I would have done that tonight) .

I have stripped off most of the control panel, there is a metal latch inside the cab which you push to the left to release the CP (thanks to nvs for the info on how to do this)

Sadly this revealed another problem with the cab the left had side corner (as you look at it from the front) of the lower metal part of the control panel is split down the full length, that's why it was loose and didn't sit correctly. Also the plastic side support (on the same side) has a piece broken off (which is missing). I'll post a wanted list before and do a bit of searching before and ask around (I'll get touch with RKLOK to see if he has or can get spares or if he can remove them from another cab) before I start a repair on these bits.

Control panel in situ

Control panel when the top part has been removed

Split, which runs full length in the corner of the metal CP support

Broken plastic side support

Next job is to remove the lower CP and then T-cut and polish the white metal exterior.

Here's my shopping list for my SNK SC19-4 (I've already picked a couple of bits up) but I still need these. I know most of the things are a long shot but if you don't ask you don't get. I will post this in the marketplace wanted section.

I have a couple of the bits on the list (marked *) which I should be able to repair but if I can find ones that are not broken then that would be amazing.

1 x black 6 point star security screw for the marquee holder (total length is approx 12 mm)

1 x wing nut screw for the wooden motherboard shelf

4 slot motherboard (I have a 2 slot that came with my cab which I can trade)

Original marquee holder

Control panel overlay (sticker or the punched metal panel with good condition art)

* Plastic side protector for the control panel (it's the left hand side one as you look at the cab from the front)

* Control panel base (the part that stays on the cab after the top panel with sticks & buttons is released)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Had a busy weekend with the cab.

I've now removed the lower control panel and also completely dismantled the CP in preparation for rubbing down and re-spraying. I still have to look at the broken bottom part of the CP and the broken plastic side. I have ordered some buttons (Seimitsu PS-14-G 2x red, 2x yellow, 2x blue and 2x green) and 2 new ball tops (Seimitsu LB-35 1x red & 1x blue). On closer inspection I think the control Panel art is sadly beyond repair, so I need to get a reproduction printed. Can anyone recommend where I can get this done, what exactly I should be asking for and what you think it should cost? again any help would be amazing. (BTW I'm in the UK a just a few miles outside of Leeds, thought I would mention that just in case there is somewhere local to me)

CP when removed from the cab

Control panel when dismantled (you can see the part which has broken of the lower metal base)

The filthy mismatching buttons and sticks

I've cleaned the bezel which was filthy (you probably can't see the difference from the photographs but it's a vast improvement) I still need 3 more buttons for P1, P2 and select these are the screw in type but I can't seem to find what these are, if anyone knows please let me know, I did see a suggestion in another thread but they were push fit rather than screw in and the last thing I want to do is damage the bezel.

Dirty bezel

All clean, the marks are where it's not perfectly dry the credit PCB is a bit discoloured but it is spotless

I've T-Cut & Turtle waxed the white metal shell which took about 4 hours. It's difficult to see the difference due to my bad photography but in the flesh the difference in the colour 'before' and 'after' is really quite staggering. Also almost every mark and scuff has either been removed of has been vastly improved. As you can see there is just one small area of the lower LHS of the cab that was scraped back to the bear metal and a line where the CP sits, again this was again scraped back to the bear metal. This part will not be visible as it is hidden by the CP. I assume this has been caused by the CP being loose and crap getting being it then when it has been used the CP has rubbed against the shell and all the crap has acted as an abrasive.

This is what it was like before cleaning

Unfortunately this is not the best picture but you can clearly see difference between the RHS which is cleaned and the LHS which is not is not

Front all shiny

LHS all shiny

RHS all shiny

Picked up a 4 slot motherboard for a decent price from Pang, Thanks mate.

Next jobs are to clean the hood and the security screws and washers, and deal with the side art.

Paulie

Post by Paulie » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:34 pm

Only a small update for today

I cleaned the front of the bezel, I used some super market own brand car bumper and trim restorer and it's come up brilliantly, really, really shiny. I know it's only a 2 minute job but it's really lifted that area of the cab.

Before buffing

After buffing

I also replaced the P1, P2 and select buttons (Seimitsu PS-14DN from Gremlin Solutions) which arrived super fast I only ordered them at the weekend, I didn't expect these for some time as it was a special order so very happy with their service. I still need to buff up the perspex credit /P1 P2 strip with Novus (still need to get some ordered) and clean or replace the 2 little chrome security bolts that hold the credit PCB in place.

Old fag burnt button

Brand new Seimitsu PS-14DN buttons

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:33 pm

looking good mate. :D What's special about novus then? Is it perspex specific or something. I've never heard of it, tbh.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Paulie

Post by Paulie » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:45 pm

nokgod wrote:looking good mate. :D What's special about novus then? Is it perspex specific or something. I've never heard of it, tbh.
Well TBH I've never used it before but I've done a fair bit of research on what to use and Novus seems to get the thumbs up (they sell it on ebay thats where I'm gonna buy it from). Yep it's for removing scratches in plastics and fogging on perspex etc I've seen a few before and after pics from other peoples projects and the differnce is really good.

Paulie

Post by Paulie » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:46 pm

This evening

I restored the LHS art. Overall the art on this side was very good, just a couple of little scratches and one fairly large scrape a couple of inches in length. It was covered in a thin clear film which was pretty bad it was scratched off in a few areas and peeling in another area. I carefully peeled off the film and removed the residue using white spirit to soften the adhesive, then carefully ran a credit card at an angle along the length to remove the junk then cleaned it all with soapy water. I touched up the damaged areas with Rust-oleum painters touch Cherry Red and Plasti-kote gloss black fast drying enamel, both are very good off the shelf colour matches.

I have some self adhesive clear film (the stuff you used to back school books with) which I will cut to size and apply when the paint has hardened.

LHS art before restoration

LHS art before restoration (Close up)

LHS art after restoration

LHS art after restoration (Close up)

Tomorrow I will probably tackle the RHS art which is much worse so will probably take much longer.

K1NGARTH3R

Post by K1NGARTH3R » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:11 pm

This is looking great - doing a really nice job so far.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:46 am

Paulie wrote:
nokgod wrote:looking good mate. :D What's special about novus then? Is it perspex specific or something. I've never heard of it, tbh.
Well TBH I've never used it before but I've done a fair bit of research on what to use and Novus seems to get the thumbs up (they sell it on ebay thats where I'm gonna buy it from). Yep it's for removing scratches in plastics and fogging on perspex etc I've seen a few before and after pics from other peoples projects and the differnce is really good.
Interesting. I'd like your opinion of it when you use it then, as i'd like to polish up that Gamecube perspex light i bought some time ago. Its got a few minor scratches, nothing major, but they annoy me.