Sir Jimmy Savile dies at home aged 84

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DPrinny

Sir Jimmy Savile dies at home aged 84

Post by DPrinny » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:32 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... ds-newsxml
James Savile was born in Leeds on Halloween in 1926, the seventh child (‘I was the “not again!” child’) of Vincent, a bookmaker’s clerk, and Agnes, the woman he always called the Duchess.
He went to work in the coal mines at 14 and if he hadn’t been hurt in an explosion seven years later, would have spent his life there.
He raised staggering amounts for charity — his accountant lost track after £40million — much of it for patients with spinal injuries.
Savile claimed to be the first ever DJ, and said in his autobiography that he was the very first person to ever use two turntables and a microphone at an event back in 1947.
He later competed as a semi-professional sportsman, taking part in the 1951 Tour of Britain cycle race and a professional wrestler.
Talking about his sporting past, Savile once said: 'If you look at the athletics of it, I've done over 300 professional bike races, 212 marathons and 107 pro fights.
'No wrestler wanted to go back home and say a long-haired disc jockey had put him down. So from start to finish I got a good hiding. I've broken every bone in my body. I loved it.'
In 1964, Savile presented the very first edition of Top Of The Pops from a television studio in Manchester. He went on to present the BBC programme for the next 42 years.
Fans were quick to take to Twitter to pay tribute to the legendary presenter, with Katherine Jenkins leading the way.
She tweeted: 'Sad news Jimmy Saville has passed away.My sis & I always wanted a Jim'll Fix it Badge/Medal. Loved that show.Great memories #RIPJimmySaville.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... z1cBIzjSIh
A legend has died

Wow.
I am glad I aint the one lifting the coffin

rossi46

Re: Sir Jimmy Savile dies at home aged 84

Post by rossi46 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:39 pm

No tears here, I'm afraid.
Thoughts and prayers.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:25 pm

I always found him creepy, and that Louis Theroux thing confirmed my suspicions.
The man had quite the Oedipal complex...

Sir Hilary Bray

Post by Sir Hilary Bray » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:51 pm

I heard the most bizarre urban legend about him once, but probably not a good idea to post it here.

ReplayRetro

Post by ReplayRetro » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:55 pm

there was definitely something weird about him and perhaps he wasn't entirely normal or "all there" but that doesn't change that he was a phenomenal force for charity, i for one am sad to hear this news and will miss seeing him in the flying pizza in roundhay, god bless Jimmy it's time to rest now
Visit www.youtube.com/replayretro . why? well erm, cos it would be awfully friendly of you to take a look i guess, you don't have to though, nobody will make you *sob sob*

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:12 pm

He was in the hospital where I work a few weeks back with pneumonia. Had a strange feeling that he was gonna peg it then.
Sir Hilary Bray wrote:I heard the most bizarre urban legend about him once, but probably not a good idea to post it here.
I think I know the one you mean. :wink:

You never know, now he's gone all kinds of stuff might come out. Or, more shockingly, not???

Sir Hilary Bray

Post by Sir Hilary Bray » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:05 pm

JazzFunk wrote:He was in the hospital where I work a few weeks back with pneumonia. Had a strange feeling that he was gonna peg it then.
Sir Hilary Bray wrote:I heard the most bizarre urban legend about him once, but probably not a good idea to post it here.
I think I know the one you mean. :wink:

You never know, now he's gone all kinds of stuff might come out. Or, more shockingly, not???

It does actually relate to a hospital, I don't believe it, but still find it hilarious! :lol:

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:31 pm

Paying cash for corpsie love?

I heard that one a while ago.
Thoughts and prayers.

OldSkoolCoolFool

Post by OldSkoolCoolFool » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:43 pm

Dj, wrestler, tv presenter and fixer for the nations children.
Legend. R.I.P.
Jagfest_UK wrote:Looks like your use of the letter T made your trousers fall down :wink:

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:17 pm

When I saw the news and this post earlier this afternoon I was tempted to say that I never really liked him and always suspected he was a weird, creepy and evil c*nt.....but as it's an RIP thread (and im trying to be a nicer person) I thought I had better not.

But, having read that most of the posts so far are not exactly complimentaty....I still won't say that but I guess he did keep me entertained for a few years as a kid, made me wear a seat belt, made me want to go on an Intercity 125 train and did make a bleeding fortune for charity.....
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:20 pm

Meh.
Haters for someone that has done loads of good.
Somebody that deserves the "Celebrity" word

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:38 pm

At the very least he raised a lot of money for charity and for that as a minumum he deserves some respect I think.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:18 pm

Never met the man, so no idea what he was like as a person/not my place to judge.

His charity work will i'm sure be sadly missed and he deserves a R.I.P for that alone.

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:58 am

He never fixed it for me but did make me want to smoke cigars. I thought he was much older than 84. RIP

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:35 am

Bub&Bob wrote:When I saw the news and this post earlier this afternoon I was tempted to say that I never really liked him and always suspected he was a weird, creepy and evil c*nt.....but as it's an RIP thread (and im trying to be a nicer person) I thought I had better not.

But, having read that most of the posts so far are not exactly complimentaty....I still won't say that but I guess he did keep me entertained for a few years as a kid, made me wear a seat belt, made me want to go on an Intercity 125 train and did make a bleeding fortune for charity.....
Weird and creepy I can see but where do you get evil from?
Splink!